Incredible footage captures shocking shooting and gang fight in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting more like America... well at least some Americans are more civil about it and keep it of the streets, they just go down to the local parkgigglem.gif

Perhaps you need to check the gun homicide rate in Thailand versus America.

The number of people who get blasted in Thailand the wild East, makes

America look like the land of safety...coffee1.gif

I think the readers would like to review those comparative statistics that you speak of because the USA is known to have the longest running 1st place position for gun related violence on the face of the planet.

Thailand may be bad and getting worse.....but the USA??....beats every other country by far.

As a matter of fact, in scholarly articles written, the USA is always used as the world wide standard for comparative gun related violence.

Cheers

The US is #1 only if you're really bad at math.

The US ranks #1 when you carefully control for who it's compared against. The US is not even close to #1 in the world but people who try to make the point of the US having the #1 homicide rate start weeding out all the countries who have higher rates in order to arrive at their numbers.

First trick is to compare absolute numbers. The US is a nation of 320 million people. Then you compare the number of homicides in the US to countries with smaller populations so the US number looks much larger in comparison.

The second trick used by those too embarrassed to try to fool people with the first statistical trick is to claim the the US is #1 per capita (which adjusts for population differences) of ______________ countries where ________________ is some sort of qualifier that eliminates all countries with higher homicide rates.

For instance, this article in the Washington Post claims the US is #1 *of developed countries* IF you eliminate Mexico. See, even when you put a qualifier on it, "developed countries" the US still didn't rank #1 so they had to artificially eliminate Mexico so the US could still be called #1.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/chart-the-u-s-has-far-more-gun-related-killings-than-any-other-developed-country/

In reality, according to Wikipedia, of the 71 countries shown in this particular entry, the US is 15th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Unfortunately, for this discussion, Thailand is not one of the countries included on the list.

However, perhaps we can get some perspective by comparing the overall homicide rate per 100,000 between the US and Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Thailand has a homicide rate of 5 per 100,000 and the US has a homicide rate of 3.8 per 100,000. While it doesn't tell us how many of these homicides are gun related, I think it does at least show that one has a higher risk of being murdered in Thailand than they do in the US. I'm not really sure it makes all that much of a difference what weapon they use though.

Nope ..you missed it and diverted the original point off course.

The gun related violence amongst the citizens in American is more so than other countries.

I was not talking about homicide rates in general...just gun related violence perpetrated by people who have guns and or have very easy access to guns and use them as they please.

America rules....lol

No surprise when the whole country is awash in a huge variety of firearms and military hardware.

Cheers

Pray tell me, why do a certain minority of people always refer to the USA whenever gunfights are portrayed in forums. Who really gives a flying **** about what happens there - around what happiness here in the LOS?

All ordinary visitors are looking for is somewhere to enjoy, thus a peaceful holiday destination they can reflect on in years gone by and for normal ex-pats (if there is any) to bring their family & friends over to this country they've chosen as a safe, peaceful glorious haven to be enjoyed and admired.

Thailand, is by far a beautiful country although a minority few find any Farang albeit visitor or whatever - lambs to the slaughter. Us more experienced TV members ought to give as many newcomers sound advice not only on a forum but voice our opinions publicly about what to expect from taxi vultures to jet ski rides and so on.

Overstayer forums, was a top revered subject for moaning faced ex-pats grammar police in the past and for once would be nice to see help being expressed to others how to enjoy this country and its wonderful people.

Anyway. Food for thought.

In the US yesterday it was revealed in a video that a police man killed a black teenager , he was laying on the ground defenseless and the cop shot him 16 times. If you ask me a lot worse than a gang fight.

Getting more like America... well at least some Americans are more civil about it and keep it of the streets, they just go down to the local parkgigglem.gif

I think the readers would like to review those comparative statistics that you speak of because the USA is known to have the longest running 1st place position for gun related violence on the face of the planet.

Thailand may be bad and getting worse.....but the USA??....beats every other country by far.

As a matter of fact, in scholarly articles written, the USA is always used as the world wide standard for comparative gun related violence.

Cheers

Japan Times and Bangkok Post both believe Thailand gun murders are on a par with the USA.

The amount of guns that seem freely available here is shocking.

Of course, Somchai gangster things he's a big man if he has a gun.

I was pissing in a urinal one night and a Thai a couple of stalls away dropped his gun on the floor while attempting to take a piss

Obviously, I didn't ask him if he had a permit to be carrying a concealed weapon but he nearly toppled over trying to pick it up off the floor so a bit much whisky I think....

You do know stuff happens in other countries too, right? Why do you think Thailand should be some shinning example of perfection just to suit you lot, it has problems as in every other country in the world.

Really? So you think if you commit a crime or offence on foreigner in your country, police will say that is foreigner's fault and they favour you?

Once a motorbike hit into my car, not much, fortunately nothing bad happened to that thai bike rider but it was clearly his fault. Do you wanna know what police said? It was my fault in 60% and bike rider fault in 40%. I couldn't believe what I have heard.

So don't say that Thailand has the same problems. I don't expect thai law suit me but come on! I just hate hypocrisy!

Uhm, yep, I do think that in a majority of developing countries the police will automatically side with the locals. Mexico, heck most of Central and South America, good chunks of Africa, and many East Asia countries . . . it's guaranteed.

I really don't get why people move to a third-world, oops, I mean developing country, and expect everything to be just like it was back home.

The USA had 14,300 murder in 2014 ! The american Public have more guns then the armies of Thailand,Cambodia, and Vietnam combined.

Google Sandy Hook School murders !

scenes like this happen weekly in my usa neighborhood, and thats just in one city.

You do know stuff happens in other countries too, right? Why do you think Thailand should be some shinning example of perfection just to suit you lot, it has problems as in every other country in the world.

Really? So you think if you commit a crime or offence on foreigner in your country, police will say that is foreigner's fault and they favour you?

Once a motorbike hit into my car, not much, fortunately nothing bad happened to that thai bike rider but it was clearly his fault. Do you wanna know what police said? It was my fault in 60% and bike rider fault in 40%. I couldn't believe what I have heard.

So don't say that Thailand has the same problems. I don't expect thai law suit me but come on! I just hate hypocrisy!

Uhm, yep, I do think that in a majority of developing countries the police will automatically side with the locals. Mexico, heck most of Central and South America, good chunks of Africa, and many East Asia countries . . . it's guaranteed.

I really don't get why people move to a third-world, oops, I mean developing country, and expect everything to be just like it was back home.

You don't get why? Maybe to teach them something ;)) But thais were never colonozated, they have no experience :/

And if you buy a bullet proof jacket to protect yourself against shootings, you will be arrested. annoyed.gif

Yes, but they were wearing helmets, not quite good enough to deflect a bullet but will slow one down. I see a market for kevlar moto helmets.

Is it just me that has had this thought but when the other half is watching Thai soaps and they show invariably guns and gunshots but not pixelated out but when its a movie and they show someone smoking they pixelate the cigarette out...... so video or pictures of people smoking is outlawed and acted on to prevent it being seen but video or pictures of some guys wielding a gun or knife is not and is generally shown on TV Soaps with local well known Thai soap actors at popular prime times......

So if Im an impressionable teenager and see smoking blurred out.... this might send the right message to me..... but by the same logic to brandish and use a lethal weapon is not so , that sends a message as well.

Im not saying this is the root cause but it does show that guns and brandishing lethal weapons with intent is not something that is deemed abhorrent or incorrect in Thai society......... I find it laughable that authorities go after actors who are merchandising beer etc yet condone the same actors/actress's thrusting a gun in someones face even if it is on fictional soaps.... what do you expect if the wrong messages are continually condoned and sent.......... dont even get me going on the journo who is up before the court on flak jacket possesion.... can you imagine if the poor bugger had of been smoking and had a can of beer in his hand as well at the time ........

I recently watched some short movies where some other things were pixelated out...also harmless me thinks...

Cheers

Of course it is!

The US of A was born out of rebellion, redefined itself through the largest civil war in history and has stood prepared to take on any and all who wish to attack it's principles and institutions.

Quite admirable!

An extremely violent nation but with good intentions!

Being #1 at anything is tough to accomplish.

I'll take democracy any day!