Samui Vs Pattaya

SamuiJens

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya is cheaper by far and better IMHO. Has all the ammenities for a Westerner shops, restauants, entertainment and by the water. Granted I wouldnt use Pattaya beach, but take a speedboat out to the near by islands. So in that respect I guess Samui has better beaches.

When in samui it is possible to feel you are 'on holiday' in Pattaya you feel you are 'in a big city'.

I really don't think anyone would give Pattaya a second thought of it did not have the somewhat hedonistic, extreme, human industry to spark it up, and provide a unique atmosphere.

Samui is supposed to be more expensive, bottom line it may be, but not that a non tramp farang would notice.

Like they say above reasonably cheap to get a flight from Samui to U-Tapao airport more difficult to get to Pattaya from there, so a couple of weeks in Samui then to Pattaya and a bus ride to Bangkok for the plane home.

Edited by fisherd3

When in samui it is possible to feel you are 'on holiday' in Pattaya you feel you are 'in a big city'.

would agree with this.

both have their pros (no pun intended) and cons. just depends what you're after.

Edited by game4shame

There's no way you can compare Samui with Pattaya and vice versa.

Pattaya is like a big city and forget the beaches, including Jomtien; but if you like a -small- beach with millions of parasols (and beachchairs), creating kilometers of shadow...well up to you.

If you're going fore the fun, bars, gogo, shopping and good restaurants there's no place like Pattaya.

Samui still has very quiet beaches and tranquility if you know where to go; that would be hard in Pattaya though.

Each to their own.

LaoPo

• 3 weeks later...
I went to Pattaya last year and would never go back -it's a shithole, full of the dregs of Thai society and farang whoremongers :o

Well, have you been to Samui lately (in the last 20 years or so...)? Drive down the strips at Chaweng and Lamai beaches and you'll see some prime examples how you can spoil perfectly tropical beaches and their surroundings..At Chaweng beach I'd say there are as many beer bars per square wah as you have on Soi 7...and yes, there are "farang whoremongers" in Samui too..

Add to that the incessant rain in Samui and I'd choose Pattaya any day.

There's quiet beaches in between Pattaya and Jomtien if that's what you like/need. ie. Dongtan beach.

You can always head about 4km south down the Jomtien strip to the end and you'll get quiet areas.

IMHO, if you want nice beaches, go to another country or head to the Indian Ocean side of the peninsula (Phuket).

What can you expect in a giant bathtub (which is what the Gulf of Thailand is)? A few months ago I went down to the beach (down from Buddha Hill in Pattaya) for a nice refreshing dip...the water must have been 35°C. I had to get out of the water to cool down. Samui is near the entrance of the gulf so the water is cleaner and fresher.

Pattaya is a fun town with a beach. It's just an added bonus but not the raison d'être.

Edited by tropo

Patters will in my humble opinion never be a beach resort again in the life time of most of the folk on here. It has grown too big and the infra-structure to keep the Bay clean is simply not in place. However, the large and expensive hotel chains are moving in fast with beautiful pools to idle your life away so a resort it most certainly is.....beach mmmmmmmmmmm.

This said if you play sport their is nowhere like it in the Kingdom. Cheap, wonderful golf courses, horse riding facilities ( probably the best in Asia at Horse Shoe Point ), lawn bowls, etc etc etc.

Top it with the usual go-carts, great restaurants and it is a fun place to be. If you want to lie on a beach, go elsewhere, if you want to get stuck in ( que lewd replies ) head for Pattaya.

So this shows how shitty Pattaya and its (most) inhabitants really are, thanks for confirming what I've heard.

You'd have to be a fool right? There's no other explanation why you'd be making such ridiculous comments.

There are thousands of Ko Samuis around the world. It's just another average island resort...that's it, nothing more. Surely you guys don't travel all this way to spend your time on an island resort. There are much better islands around and probably much closer to your home country too.

There's only one Pattaya on this planet, and it's right here in Chon Buri Province in Thailand. It's totally unique and a VERY popular destination for tourists from around the world, not only sex tourists.

Spending your time in Ko Samui on a trip to Thailand and bypassing Pattaya is like a tourist visiting Key West and bypassing New York on a trip to the US.

PATTAYA RULES!

Edited by tropo

I don't live in Patters but I adore the place. I go there any chance I get to take a break from my beloved Sukhumvit. I can't really think of anything negative about Pattaya except perhaps the water is not crystal clear. It is my #1 domestic vacation spot. As for Samui, never been there and never read anything anywhere that has encouraged me to take the trip. I think I'll leave the place for Lonely Planeters and farang girls with their beach boys.

I went to Pattaya last year and would never go back -it's a shithole, full of the dregs of Thai society and farang whoremongers :o

Well, have you been to Samui lately (in the last 20 years or so...)? Drive down the strips at Chaweng and Lamai beaches and you'll see some prime examples how you can spoil perfectly tropical beaches and their surroundings..At Chaweng beach I'd say there are as many beer bars per square wah as you have on Soi 7...and yes, there are "farang whoremongers" in Samui too..

Add to that the incessant rain in Samui and I'd choose Pattaya any day.

Went to Samui once, found the MacDonalds that they had built there right on the beach. Great idea very convenients for a quick snack. Congratulations to the Island building planners

Glad you don't want to come to Samui, it's PROBABLY NOT for YOU anyways. Wish more like you wouldn't come here!

Have a pattaya day!

cricky's jens,

your really getting the boys going now. :D

sounds like they'll send the big boys over your place for a chat. :o

cheers old mate. :D

Pattaya in my opinion really is the ars#whole of the world !

However, if I had to choose a holiday between Pattaya and Samui, I would choose Pattaya all day long ! :D

good to hear from you tax, :D

you been hiding or something. ?

this is a earth shattering debate with samui and patters taking even blows but both are still standing.

i haven't been to patters since 1992. :D

if i don't chase hoe's is there other fun things to do down there. ? :D

your the man tax so give me the good oil bro. :D

cheers :o