North Laos Mountain Loop

AllanB

Any idea how long the big mountain loop takes to travel in northern Laos?

I refer to Phou Khoun - Luang Prabang - Nong Khiaw - Ban Khong - Phonsavan - Phou Khoun.

Also what are roads like, at the time of travel, obviously?

Any info about hotels and the like along the way would be useful, indeed any travel info and tips.. Thanks

After visiting the Laos Consulate thingy in KK and learning sweet FA, I plan on taking the Wave 110 on the back of the truck and try and cross with the bike, since the Lifan will not have a green book by early next month, when I do my visa run. If they say no, I will repack the bike on the truck and hire something in Vientiane.

Cheers

Edited by AllanB

A friend and I ( CRF and KLX) are going to do almost the same route you described around X-mas/New Year.

That route should be OK ( all paved roads) but do expect potholes, gravel in the corners and bad sections, rainseason has just stopped and some sections might be in a bad shape ( landslides)

We don't book hotels in advance, plenty of guesthouses around.

here's some day to day Google maps screenshots of our planned route:

post-143096-0-32141000-1448521812_thumb.

post-143096-0-50325300-1448521778_thumb.

post-143096-0-89719700-1448521782_thumb.

post-143096-0-37140700-1448521787_thumb.

post-143096-0-44328900-1448521792_thumb.

post-143096-0-01171500-1448521797_thumb.

post-143096-0-36472600-1448521800_thumb.

post-143096-0-14311700-1448521806_thumb.

Oh that first one is bigger than the one we planned and looks more interesting, we may do that instead, In fact we could do it anticlockwise and do the extra bit if we feel inclined.

My visa run has to be before 15th December.

Cheers

You'll likely find 2-up on a Wave +/- 200km/day.

Those squiggly roads on the map...cannot quickly.

"papa go Laos 3.0"

starting Dec 22,

after a week in Nan.

;-)

Sorry Papa, something got lost in the translation You "go" 3 inches...don't you mean "grow" 3 inches....still don't get it, me old Spanish speaking mucker.biggrin.png

Yes, 100-300km/day is what we did in VN, the latter on a fast new road.

You ain't gonna try to take your bike into Nam? wasn't possible earlier this year when we went.

They are bound to be digging up somewhere in Laos, VN was 25% half constructed roads.

Edited by AllanB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmtNAj3kfQM

Here is a fantastic series.

Fractional horsepower bike.

Fractional horsepower saw as well.......respect!!

Is there much altitude on those roads, read "cold", we have limited load carrying capacity and don't want to pack what we won't need.

Our biking jackets have linings (removable)........

...that ginger beard is distracting.cowboy.gif

papa stuffed some newspaper under jacket, and bought a silk scarf.

........cool the "tramp (hobo) look"....gee never thought of that. Did any of the locals give you money?biggrin.png

MrsB cant wait for that look to come into fashion.

Straw in the helmet as an accessory.

For those not clicking on the link:

"From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24-hours a day, for 9 years making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history

Between 1995 and 2013, the U.S. contributed on average $3.2M per year for UXO clearance in Laos; the U.S. spent $13.3M per day (in 2013 dollars) for nine years bombing Laos.

The U.S. spent as much in three days bombing Laos ($51M, in 2010 dollars) than it spent for clean up over 16 years ($51M)."

Makes you think..........

For those not clicking on the link:

"From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24-hours a day, for 9 years making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history

Between 1995 and 2013, the U.S. contributed on average $3.2M per year for UXO clearance in Laos; the U.S. spent $13.3M per day (in 2013 dollars) for nine years bombing Laos.

The U.S. spent as much in three days bombing Laos ($51M, in 2010 dollars) than it spent for clean up over 16 years ($51M)."

Makes you think..........

And all done in secret....and, of course, the same people who made huge sums of money out of selling the bombs weren't the same suckers who picked up the tab....what's new in the world? Sorry don't get me started.

I am told you should be careful about wandering off the beaten track in Laos, since there are still many thousands of landmines around and each year people are still dying as a result of treading on them and a large number of elephants lose legs too. Prosthetic legs for elephants eh....

Edited by AllanB

Interesting video, thanks.

Why was he carrying 20 kitchen sinks on this few thousand km trip? I have watched these guys who go around the world taking many years, in every terrain imaginable, but carrying a lot less. Their load includes all their camping gear sleeping out most nights, their cooking gear, their food and they even claim their electronics is the heaviest weight of this. He didn't say he was carrying equipment for the schools, unless it was the materials to actually build the school.

This guy was looking for and therefore staying in hotels, eating out, so what's with all the gear? He talks about needing skill or strength, but how about a proper bike and leave all that stuff at home? Also travelling around on such an opulent bike surly attracts these would-be muggers, he's a bloody magnet.

No wonder Ed March takes the piss out of these lumbering BMW adventure bikes..sorry, but I cannot help but agree. But then I couldn't afford one either.

Now, this video was quite helpful, if I am able to take the Wave I will stick to the tarmac.... And if I do decide to be more adventurous my very first stop will be to get some off-road tyres, or maybe leave it for another trip when I have a green book for the Lifan.

I have done many of these trips albeit in a Landrover and the first thing to do is research, otherwise you end up in a nightmare for no reason. This could have been worse on a number of fronts.

locals tell them: don't go that way.

Laos 2-up on Wave will be well suited to the slow traffic there.

Most main roads are scrawny.

Laotians understand Thai from TV, so no prob there.

Edited by papa al

locals tell them: don't go that way.

Laos 2-up on Wave will be well suited to the slow traffic there.

Most main roads are scrawny.

Laotians understand Thai from TV, so no prob there.

MrsB is an Isaan lass, she speaks Laos with her mum, although she says it differs around the Laos countryside.

I speak Danish will that help?wai2.gif

May get some off-road tyres anyway, they are bloody useful and can't be dear, TIT....but yeh, rule one listen to the locals, especially if you have a different mode of transport.

Two years ago the 1C was largely unpaved and had loose stones, ruts and slippery bul dust in places. Dual purpose tyres a good bet, I was glad I was on a CRF and not a CBR. Nice fairly easy dirt road from the 1C to Luang Prabang, fantastic scenery.

It was unusually cold that year, Ponshavan was freezing but I hear it usually is.

Layering is the answer to clothing. Light walking/cycling waterproofs, vented m/c gear with flece and light jacket give a multitude of combinations. Cold damp and foggy one morning+summer gloves = freezing numb hands. Taking a pair of XXL washing up gloves which will go over the top if necesary.

Watch out for the water left on the road from the truck brake cooling - very slippery in places.

Have fun, T.

This is getting a bit kinky, first Papa wants me to wear newspaper as underwear and now Marigolds, better than my usual attire then. I see why Papa refers to himself as a cross-dresser.

I figured it must get chilly in the mountains, that Ausi pillock on that huge Beama complained about hypothermia, doubt if it was with all that effort he was putting in controlling that 1/2ton lump in the mud, although that sweating would not be good when he cools down.

I have some thermals to take and we bought some for MrsB today, all really lightweight gear.

I would love to be going on the Lifan, but the green book is going to take 3 months.