Why is Samui so dangerous, and why is nothing being done about it?

I lived on Samui for ten years. While there, I was told by a friend who volunteered with Samui rescue, that there were up to 60 deaths per month, on the roads. There have been some studies done, and they have concluded that Samui is perhaps the most dangerous place in the world to drive. There is zero law enforcement on Samui. There is zero traffic safety. There is occasional helmet safety enforcement, but that is more of a revenue collection program, rather than traffic safety.

So, the questions I have are:

Why don't the local officials care?

Why is there so little in the way of local pride on Samui?

Why is there no traffic safety enforcement, regular DUI checks, regular helmet checks, stops to check drivers licenses, or similar programs?

Why do the local officials allow kids as young as 10 years old, who have no experience, and represent an incredible danger to others, to drive motorbikes on Samui?

There are some local ex-pats who are upset enough about the situation that they have started a Facebook forum called Roads of Koh Samui. There they post accidents on a daily and sometimes hourly basis, like the gentleman named Brian who was mowed down and killed by a young speed bike racer last night. Brian looked both ways, and was sober, before crossing the road in Bangrak. But, this kid was probably going 100 kph. What can one do about that?

The Ring Road was never completed, though the budget was laid out by the central government many years ago. Six or seven years later, they are still working on it, one kilometer at a time.

An excerpt from the Samui Times, about driving on Samui:

With hundreds of people dying and being seriously injured on the roads of Koh Samui every year, is it not time that someone is called into accountability for this?

The widely recognized definition of ‘police’ is a body of people who not only are intrinsic in the prevention of crime, but one that protects the health, safety and well being of the community in which they have force. How then, one must ponder, is it that in a place where the population more than doubles during tourist seasons and one where the rate of road traffic accidents is widely recognized as one of the most dangerous on the planet, is not more being done to prevent these horrific accidents from happening?

http://www.samuitimes.com/staying-safe-roads-koh-samui/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good questions, Spidermike, but nothing new, it has been like that for long time now, on Samui.

I’ve also heard about the 60 to 70 road death per month or around 700 a year – could not really believe it, as the local printed newspapers some year back normally reported 2-3 death per motnh, but I was later told that only if declared death on site it counted in the traffic statistics, not when declared dead at hospital – but I’m not sure of valid documentation.

Rob from “Road of Koh Samui” may be able to enlighten more.

The problem with groups like “RAK Samui” (Road Awareness Kampaign - Koh Samui) – the one behind “Road of Koh Samui” – is, that the farang’s only have a very weak voice in the local society. RAK Samui can help by informing tourists about the danger when driving here or just walking the roads, but you also need to have some of the “important” local Thais to join, to change anything – and answer your questions...

However the roads on Koh Samui are improving – new tarmac layer and water drainage – unfortunately also the speed; with better tarmac you can drive faster...

It's all about resources.

Samui officially has only 50.000 citizens.

We all know that there are 200.000 living on the Island, most have their housebook on the mainland.

Add all the tourists to that.

Still Samui only get resources from the provincial government for 50.000 people. sad.png

I first visited Samui in 2002 and it became my favorite island in Thailand....would go back every year and stay at the Samui Yacht Club (now Crystal Bay YC), usually in March for my birthday and/or in Sept during low season). Thoroughly enjoyed the island, especially driving around on a rented motorbike. I think the last time I was there was 4-5 years ago and I haven't been back since...besides the development that has run amok IMO, the traffic was simply horrendous (except for the very southern tip of the island which was still a great place to hang out). From what I hear, unfortunately the development and traffic situation haven't changed...actually sounds like it is worse from all of the reports I hear. Such a shame.

Edited by morpho

Most of the roads were not built wide enough for today vehicles. The old timers talk about hardly seeing a car when you rode around the island. Yes some bike riders go too quickly, not just the young locals but farangs as well, and the drunk drivers, but there are just too many cars. More regulations are not going to change the situation. And who wants a police state where you cannot enjoy a ride or drive.

I first visited Samui in 2002 and it became my favorite island in Thailand....would go back every year and stay at the Samui Yacht Club (now Crystal Bay YC), usually in March for my birthday and/or in Sept during low season). Thoroughly enjoyed the island, especially driving around on a rented motorbike. I think the last time I was there was 4-5 years ago and I haven't been back since...besides the development that has run amok IMO, the traffic was simply horrendous (except for the very southern tip of the island which was still a great place to hang out). From what I hear, unfortunately the development and traffic situation haven't changed...actually sounds like it is worse from all of the reports I hear. Such a shame.

I finally left due primarily to the rampant overdevelopment, and the ever increasing traffic congestion. It became oppressive, to me at least. It is a shame, as it is an island of great beauty, and amazing potential, had it been properly managed, which it never was, due to very greedy local leaders, completely lacking in vision, to this day. I believe it will resemble the Kuta-Legian area of Bali, within 5-10 years. Utter, and complete gridlock. Are they doing anything to mitigate that? Are they developing a really effective public transport system? A natural gas powered tram system? A monorail? Anything? No. Why? The local taxi mafia. Why not just crush them like the insects they are? Why not? Just do the right thing, once in your life, local leaders. Once.

In Thailand life is cheap and enforcing laws means doing something. Its a bad combination. Combine that with reckless driving and copious amounts of alcohol and it all adds up to carnage. It sums up Thailand in general, not just Samui.

We all know that there are 200.000 living on the Island, most have their housebook on the mainland.

Still Samui only get resources from the provincial government for 50.000 people. sad.png

I think the lack of census, over development, and the fact that mafia control is strong there. Similar mafia situation in Koh Tao, explains why so little changes are made. This article explains the power dynamic a bit more.

http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/

I think Koh Tao hasnt suffered as much because it is more of a diving/snorkeling hub and backpacker-friendly than a place for expats or tourist to stay long term.

What real advantage do you have in Samui vs Phuket, if the traffic situation for a car is similar?

Edited by 4evermaat

I think the lack of census, over development, and the fact that mafia control is strong there. Similar mafia situation in Koh Tao, explains why so little changes are made. This article explains the power dynamic a bit more.

http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/

I think Koh Tao hasnt suffered as much because it is more of a diving/snorkeling hub and backpacker-friendly than a place for expats or tourist to stay long term.

What real advantage do you have in Samui vs Phuket, if the traffic situation for a car is similar?

Yes, I read the Mikes travels post. Very good summary of life on Dark Tao. I will never step foot on that island again. And I encourage all who listen, to never visit. At least on Samui, the ruling families (local mafia) keep a very strict law and order, amongst themselves. They seem like a disciplined and smart lot. They realize how much money is at stake. Not so, with the headmen of Tao, especially the ignoramus headman of Sairee Beach. His son runs rampant and causes much mayhem. They would take him out in a nanosecond on Samui. They would never permit that kind of ridiculous murderous behavior. But, that is for another forum. The fact remains that Samui is a land without traffic laws, and that causes a lot of carnage. Nobody wants to see it become a police state like Los Angeles, and all of Southern California has become. But, there has to be a balance, and the federal government has to get involved, since the lazy locals will not do anything constructive with the place. All they are good for is emulating the sound of a giant Hoover vacuum. Suck, suck, suck. Give as little back to the island, as is possible. Eventually, someone who cares, and has the power has to take charge. My guess is when that happens, if that ever happens, a lot of heads are going to roll, and that will be a good and long, long overdue thing.

As far as Samui getting its due, I hear it keeps a lot more than it used to, since it became semi-autonomous from Surat Province, some time ago. So, someone is keeping at least part of that money, and not putting it back into the island. Want to bet his initials are JR?

Lastly, I see little difference between Samui and Phuket at this point in time. I used to think Samui had a lot more charm. But, not since the traffic has doubled in the past two years, and the congestion has become oppressive. Plus the rampant and uncontrolled development is chewing up the lovely hillsides, by the day.

Why isn't something done?

Because it's Thailand.

Surely you've lived here long enough to understand this?

You obviously have not acculturated yet. You're still thinking with a farang mind. Stop that!!! ermm.gif

You could not pay me enough to go there and more so to ever want to live there for numerous reasons. Have witnessed at least four foreigners getting killed within a two week period. Likely drunk. Not too smart.

"Have witnessed at least blink.png four foreigners getting killed within a two week period. "

I am living in Samui full time for three years now.

I spend of course, almost every single day a little time on the roads, we have two motorbikes and a car.

In those three years I personally witnessed four accidents.

I certainly do not mean certain figures are not true, I wish to express my own experience dot.

Everyone here should know that Samui is like Phuket, a battlefield for income. There are so many unaccounted immigrants making a living there, of course by way of the monthly yellow envelopes. You will encounter some motorcycles wheezing in and out of the sois without switching on their headlamps to avoid being identified or detected. I would like to advise anyone residing in this island to exercise more care for yourself and family members. Just don't take chance.

That's amazing Thailand.
You are 100% responsible for yourself.
Yes there are many drunken idiots who drive around with 100 km/h or more,
god forbid it, on the wrong side
and on the sidewalks.

Try to survive in the jungle.
Do not hope that others try to protect you from the evil.
Drive here never drunk.
Never trust traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.
Always try to drive defensively.
Here nobody has the right of way.
Everything you have learned about traffic rules, you should forget.
Try to survive, then you are fine.

Edited by tomacht8

One of the main reasons for rating as the world's no 1 place for motorbike accidents, is that for some utterly inconceivable reason, motorbikes and scooters are hired on only passport details. and not driving licences. None are asked for. The rider might be a total novice, having never ridden one before, but believes that he or she must be able to ride O.K. !! Add some alcohol to the mix, and other faster riders overtaking and rushing past, and there are the ingredients for a accident, fatal or otherwise. At least start addressing the problem by insisting that renters MUST have a valid licence for what they are hiring!

Because it's Thailand.

Surely you've lived here long enough to understand this?

You obviously have not acculturated yet. You're still thinking with a farang mind. Stop that!!! ermm.gif

Maybe you should tell that my wife she can read,write,and speaks English

been in Oz for about 10 years and still thinks in Thai whistling.gif

One of the main reasons for rating as the world's no 1 place for motorbike accidents, is that for some utterly inconceivable reason, motorbikes and scooters are hired on only passport details. and not driving licences. None are asked for. The rider might be a total novice, having never ridden one before, but believes that he or she must be able to ride O.K. !! Add some alcohol to the mix, and other faster riders overtaking and rushing past, and there are the ingredients for a accident, fatal or otherwise. At least start addressing the problem by insisting that renters MUST have a valid licence for what they are hiring!

Agree.

The motorcycle lessors are lazy here.

They rent their bikes out for 150- 250 (scooter) a day,

Why they do not sell one hour driving lessons or more for foreigners, who have never driven a motorcycle before?

Show them how to use the brake, front and back.

Show them to drive slow.

Show them where the direction indicator is, and how to bring it back into neutrale position.

That would be a win - win situation.

Foreigners do not lost there lifes, and the thai lessors can charge 150 Baht more.

That would include an hour drive and braking exercises.

I would appreciate that you could thereby save around 100 - 200 lives per year on Koh Samui.

People everywhere in Thailand are free to ride or drive as long as they have a license and follow existing traffic laws. That doesn't make it a police state, I just makes it a civilized society of law abiding citizens.

People have no right to drive drunk, no right to drive twice the safe speed for the road or road conditions, no right to drive at night with no lights or drive recklessly. Those are all good laws that were enacted for good reasons. Enforcing those laws doesn't make it a police state or a nanny state, it makes it a safe place to live and drive.

I'm no fan of the police but I'm even less of a fan of drunk drivers or idiots who should be walking or taking a bus instead of driving around killing people.

Most of the roads were not built wide enough for today vehicles. The old timers talk about hardly seeing a car when you rode around the island. Yes some bike riders go too quickly, not just the young locals but farangs as well, and the drunk drivers, but there are just too many cars. More regulations are not going to change the situation. And who wants a police state where you cannot enjoy a ride or drive.

My daughter rented a bike in Langkawi, Malaysia this year. They photocopied the licence and told her that if she was involved in any type of accident they would be in mega trouble without the proof they had checked the licence.

in most islands the islanders seem to think the roads belong to them and bored they are they find driving fast a release from frustration.

I used to drive in Samui and once I got caught nearly deadly I decided 10 years ago to stop and to reduce my times spent on Samui never knowing if it was paradise or hell.

I avoid koh Tao at all costs as well as Koh Phang Ghan......

Up to the individual to decide his tolerance level limits.

Yes it is a dangerous Island and now with box jelly fishes added to dangerous driving, jetskis madness and power boat stupidity totally irresponsible all limiting the enjoyment to its minimum.....

Why do we rarely meet up with Thai Bangkokian in Samui they must know something not disclosed to tourists......

in most islands the islanders seem to think the roads belong to them and bored they are they find driving fast a release from frustration.

I used to drive in Samui and once I got caught nearly deadly I decided 10 years ago to stop and to reduce my times spent on Samui never knowing if it was paradise or hell.

I avoid koh Tao at all costs as well as Koh Phang Ghan......

Up to the individual to decide his tolerance level limits.

Yes it is a dangerous Island and now with box jelly fishes added to dangerous driving, jetskis madness and power boat stupidity totally irresponsible all limiting the enjoyment to its minimum.....

Why do we rarely meet up with Thai Bangkokian in Samui they must know something not disclosed to tourists......

The absolute majority on Samui roads are not islanders. Box jelly fishes were always there. Don't like jet skies ether, but compared to other places it's harmless. Yes the traffic is horrible. Now there are so many cars here like never before. Wonder why so many, mostly western and middle eastern, tourists drive their rented bikes like the devil is after them. Because they are young and on holidays. It could be, that Samui is the beach destination with most young, international tourists in Thailand, maybe in all of SEA?

Asking why is nothing being done is the same as asking why nothing is done about the education as well, Thailand has one of the highest education budgets around the world compare to its GDP, yet the students are getting dumber by the day. Perhaps that explains why nobody really cares about anything here.

Because of the dangerous roads here after 10 years we are seriously thinking of returning to the uk,we do not feel safe driving at all,every day we go out there is always a near miss with a bike or minivan coming at you on the wrong side of the road!i have lived in Phuket before and it is nothing like as dangerous as it is here,there is just no police anywhere!will I miss samui?NO!