Missing Person

Gonzo the Face

...Actually was told that he sold up and moved back to the states.

A lot of travellers reading Kindles or other e-books, which includes me.

Much lighter to have 20 or 30 books on a RAM card than in paper back.

...Actually was told that he sold up and moved back to the states.

One person who was absolutely adamant that he would never return to the states, was UG.

I find this highly unlikely unless there are circumstances that forced him there.

Wherever, I hope he is OK.smile.png

His bookstore was listed for sale on craigslist Bangkok about a couple of months ago. I saw the ad.

I was told by a book shop competitor,not his neighbour, that he had sold out many weeks ago.fb confirms that.

I havent bought a book there for a long while as it was pretty apparent that it was headed this way .5 ? stores gradually became 2 and no new stock coming in

Yes Kindle is popular but in Backstreet Books and Lost books the other day there were loads of customers,mostly travellers, still buying.

There's still a lot of us that like the feel of a book and with 50% back on return or passing onto friends its pretty inexpensive entertainment.

There was a news feature recently from the BBC UK to say that bookshops there had actually seen an increase in the sale of books

and expectations of bumper Christmas sales as gifts.

They say you shouldn't stare at a screen before bedtime. I don't know if that's true, but I find I sleep much better if I spend 45 minutes with a newspaper, magazine or book before bed rather than a computer, TV or other electronic device.

They say you shouldn't stare at a screen before bedtime. I don't know if that's true, but I find I sleep much better if I spend 45 minutes with a newspaper, magazine or book before bed rather than a computer, TV or other electronic device.

Agreed. But a Kindle is different because it is not back-lit like other devices. Read yourself to sleep - no prob.

Five years ago I suggested to UG that e-books would be taking over the market, but he believed they could exist side by side. Slowly but surely used book stores all over the world have been closing their doors. Even some of the major chains have closed up, while others seem to be expanding. Then recently I noticed that Gecko Books had halved in size, and said... this is the beginning of the end...

As an avid reader, I tend to notice what others are reading and that's gotten harder as more and more people switch to e-readers. 7 years ago I started using a Sony reader, and never saw another e-reader in use. Yesterday at lunch I saw three people using e-readers and one reading a paperback book. I've since gone from that Sony to a Kobo, and now am settled in using a Mini-iPad. It's heavier than the dedicated readers, but I can do so much more with it during my usual day. I doubt that I've read more than one paper book in all these years, but go through 1-2 books a week digitally.

Where ever UG is these days, I wish him well. He was always one of the good guys.

If UG has departed the area, he will greatly missed. It appears that he was a fixture in CM and he was certainly a fixture on Thaivisa.com and a valuable contributor to the forum.

I hope he doesn't forget us. We won't forget him.

To answer your question, yes George is back in California. I've helped him get settled and he asked me to post this because his new tablet computer has crashed. I'm taking him to COSTCO tomorrow to return it to buy something that will last. He's doing well and as soon as he secures a new laptop he'll be in touch.

As some of you may know, UG was a relatively private person and I think further discussion would not be appropriate. He is not 'missing', but hopefully with a new computer, he will be back on-line.

//CLOSED//