US downgrades Thai air safety rating

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maintenance is very important,

hopefully not copied spare parts are installed in the aircrafts.

Good pilots are very important, too.

Remember that Germanwings pilot that ran amuck and crashed an airplane last year?

Should all German pilots be banned from international aviation now?

It's nothing else than blackmail.

For me, Thai Airways will remain one of the best airlines in the world.

Is this sarcasm . Please explain ?

Blackmail to force Thailand into TPP I fear.

Thai Airways has absolutely good service, and I never heard of a Thai pilot that used an airplane to kill the passengers (like this Germanwings pilot did)

Big Daddy America is at again...Playing the Global Police Role Perfectly.

1. Please tell America to stop touching by balls by your TSAs

2. Please tell your Cabin Crew to treat Passengers as human beings

3. Please tell your Cabin Crew to SMILE

4. Please do not make me pay extra fees for everything under the sun

5. Please make good food.

and ohhh yeah...

There is no airport in America that can compete with Suvernabhumi even with all the problems it has.

Look at the ratings. American Airports get lower rating than Thai.

Travelling in America has become a nightmare for a reason.

The more foreign restrictions placed on thais the better Imo...

I hope they will farang countries will adopt xenophobia towards thais, dual pricing and our immigration should treat them like criminals and make them jump through hoops.... Changing the hoops at least every year.... smile.png

Actually we kinda treat Thais that way!!!

Thai Airways were brilliant in the 70's and 80's. Shame they missed the chance to build the long-term training scheme needed to maintain an international airline.

Here's the other problem. ICAO watches over standards in all areas of aviation, not just the airlines. It'd be a shame if the airports in Thailand were to fall foul of a similar type of degradation of standards.

They would be well advised to contemplate a strategic alliance with another carrier as a minority shareholder ( and probably leave Star Alliance.. They can never compete between SQ and ANA). So either OneWorld ( JAL, but it's broke, or QANTAS. Unfortunately Malaysia is already a member) or the other mob with Air France

Indeed, but I noticed that all KLM aircraft are registered in the Philippines .... ;)

America is jealous of Thai Airlines and this reason for the ruling

Jealous of why?

Nok Air, Orient Airlines, R Airways ?

This issue is not so much about Thai Airways but about the Airport Authority of Thailand.

Fly from Don Muang and you will notice 4-5 Thai Airways jets that have been parked their for over a year already and they seem to have a maintenance issue.

Big Daddy America is at again...Playing the Global Police Role Perfectly.

1. Please tell America to stop touching by balls by your TSAs

2. Please tell your Cabin Crew to treat Passengers as human beings

3. Please tell your Cabin Crew to SMILE

4. Please do not make me pay extra fees for everything under the sun

5. Please make good food.

and ohhh yeah...

There is no airport in America that can compete with Suvernabhumi even with all the problems it has.

Look at the ratings. American Airports get lower rating than Thai.

Travelling in America has become a nightmare for a reason.

Oh so true!!! I carefully avoid USA when travelling -- for good reasons based on 40 years of travelling. The detractors of Thai airlines are missing the point -- the cabin staff are lovely and it's a pleasant travel experience, but the problems lie in the maintenance, the quality control and the training.

RELATED TOPIC:

PM orders immediate improvements of aviation industry

35-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today he has ordered immediate improvements of the country's aviation industry after the industry was downgraded by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/875387-pm-prayut-orders-immediate-improvements-of-aviation-industry/

Another nail in the Thai coffin.coffee1.gif

And perhaps, more to come as the ripple effect extends concern over all things air travel in and to Thailand. Tourism enterprises may have to weigh the liabilities of travel to LOS, especially clauses in their insurance contracts whereby acting negligently in spite of public knowledge about safety shortcoming might nullify a carrier's or tour operator's coverage.

RELATED TOPIC:

PM orders immediate improvements of aviation industry

35-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said today he has ordered immediate improvements of the country's aviation industry after the industry was downgraded by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/875387-pm-prayut-orders-immediate-improvements-of-aviation-industry/

Uh, is he talking about painting over the logos on planes to pretend it is not Thai?

This is a pity. Back during the Vietnam War and after, Thailand had developed some of the best aviation standards in the region. I know some of those guys that are still around, from the Thai and American side. They were professionals, mainly because the US had egalitarian standards in their training and maintenance programs as well as flight training programs. But all that has gone to hell in a handbasket today. Oh, well, at least Thailand can fly back and forth to China. But THIS entire event is a concrete demonstration of the costs of Thailand ditching its American patron for a Chinese one. A very bad move.

Actually it isn't anything to do with China.

It is far more to do with the lack of control by many Thai governments going back many years combined with the ability of making brown envelopes magically disappear and Mercedes Benz to appear in its place a little while later.

Corruption and nepotism are still found in large quantities and in many places in Thailand but don't seem to work all that well internationally.

America is jealous of Thai Airlines and this reason for the ruling

Jealous of why?

Nok Air, Orient Airlines, R Airways ?

This issue is not so much about Thai Airways but about the Airport Authority of Thailand.

Fly from Don Muang and you will notice 4-5 Thai Airways jets that have been parked their for over a year already and they seem to have a maintenance issue.

It may also be seen as an indirect squeeze on the little general both politically and economically with the aim of invalidating his junta and restoring elections.

It's nothing else than blackmail.

For me, Thai Airways will remain one of the best airlines in the world.

Disagree due to 2 bad experiences with Thai Airways.

1. At the last minute before boarding a Thai Airlines flight from LAX to BKK, my wife and I were bumped back to economy due to some (hi so) Thais demanding our business class seats. No apologies from Thai Airways, just a refund from our business class tickets.

2. On a different flight from LAX to BKK, as we were boarding, my wife asked one of the male stewards for assistance in helping her put her carry on in the overhead bin. His response was astonishing! He said we all have bad backs, and turned around and walked away.

We have not flown Thai Airways since. Not only do they need to change their employee attitudes, but now we find they are not compliant with international rules. So goes the way of this old dinosaur.

whistling.gif Does anyone else, except me perhaps, remember back in the 1977 to1979 era when Thai International was partnered with the then SAS and had joint training and maintenance staff service.

They won awards international awards then and every year they were rated among the top airlines in the world, up there with such airlines as Singapore Airlines for customer satisfaction.

Long ago, before the Thai government intervened.

Thai Airways is in Star Alliance with Deutsche Lufthansa now, so they can't be that bad.

Germans in "Servicewueste Deutschland" (German service dessert) should learn from Thais.

This is a pity. Back during the Vietnam War and after, Thailand had developed some of the best aviation standards in the region. I know some of those guys that are still around, from the Thai and American side. They were professionals, mainly because the US had egalitarian standards in their training and maintenance programs as well as flight training programs. But all that has gone to hell in a handbasket today. Oh, well, at least Thailand can fly back and forth to China. But THIS entire event is a concrete demonstration of the costs of Thailand ditching its American patron for a Chinese one. A very bad move.

It is far more to do with the lack of control by many Thai governments going back many years combined with the ability of making brown envelopes magically disappear and Mercedes Benz to appear in its place a little while later.

Corruption and nepotism are still found in large quantities and in many places in Thailand but don't seem to work all that well internationally.

The US used to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt. The turn towards China cost Thailand that advantage. But as I said the biggest fall off is the decline in maintenance and training standards that the US fostered in Thailand during the 1960s and 1970s. That professionalism is gone. And replaced almost utterly by the nepotism and corruption you mention.

Good to know the beer bars and drunken parties that the inspectors were subjected to did not cause the report from being changed. Viva Obama! giggle.gif

That damn Obama must have been the one who parked his car in front of my driveway last night.

The US used to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt. The turn towards China cost Thailand that advantage. But as I said the biggest fall off is the decline in maintenance and training standards that the US fostered in Thailand during the 1960s and 1970s. That professionalism is gone. And replaced almost utterly by the nepotism and corruption you mention.

You can certainly come up with examples.

Or are you just nostalgic about the Vietnam war era?

Edited by micmichd

It would be interesting to know what is really going. We all know the culture here, to not be bothered with activities, expenditures, planning, etc. whereby big problems and tragedies can be avoided, so it is difficult to believe that the shortcomings that the aviation authorities are now pointing out have not been there for a long time. I'd be interested to know why this has been getting swept under the rug for so long, or if problems actually did begin to surface suddenly in Thai aviation, what was the cause of that. It's as much a problem as Thailand not running proper maintenance on their aircraft etc. to suddenly deciding to enforce the standards, and while it is of course better than continuing not to enforce standards, this previous laxness on the part off FAA may explain the rather stupid reactions on the part of THAI and the government to appear to not be bothered and claim they don't care that they are being downgraded etc. It would piss anyone off that if for inexplicable reasons, the FAA etc. decide that they are simply bored of not doing their jobs and that now you had better now tow the line or else. That said, it sounds like in the past there was more of an attitude of wanting to lern how to run an ailins well and do it just like the European and American airlines do it. I have noticed a similar slide in just about every area of life in Thailand over the last 15 years or so, such as people's interest in learning English ages ago compared with the current general attitude that it is not necessary. I would be intrested to learn of any evidence to suggest that indeed a similar change in attitude, one of not caring, adopting an arrogant and complacent attitude etc has also taken place in aviation, there is much to suggst that is part of the problem as well as the international authorities' being too tolerant in the past.

What the hell is going on in this country?

The aviation world has given Thailand so many chances to sort this problem out....the responce....nothing...

Says a lot about the present regime.

You still haven't understood how problems are solved here..

1. Problem

2. Meeting about problem

3. Appointment for follow up meeting

4.problem ignored though solve

No Thai bashing at all...just reality...

The aviation world has given Thailand so many chances to sort this problem out....the responce....nothing...

1. Problem

2. Meeting about problem

Generally, I got all my problems instantly solved in Thailand so far.

Ages away from German bureaucratic response which generally means the transportation of papers.

Fishing industry: doing down

Airline industry: going down

Human rights rating: going down

Freedom of the press: doing down

Dreams of a promised free election: going down

Happiness of the Thai population by providing participation in bicycle events:

Jumping up through the roof?

Say what you want but this latest aviation fiasco is a direct result of military rule, combine Thainess and absolute control and you have an invitation to disaster

Going forward it will only get worse and the expression " power corrupts , and absolute power corrupts absolutely " will become even more appropriate once the military starts their normal blame game

It is not a direct result of military rule.

Do you truly think all this has happened in the last 18 months?

It has been building up for years through many governments totally ignoring the real world and living in their own cosy one.

This government just happens to be in power when it all brewed up.

Whichever government would have been in power at this time would have to face up to the problem, no matter if it was a Thaksin, Democrat, Military or even a coalition one and I don't expect any of them would know what to do or how to do it.

The world has got smaller over the years and more notice is being taken of the rules and regulations internationally.

What you can do domestically with your own country doesn't mean that it will work internationally any more.

1. Problem

2. Meeting about problem

Generally, I got all my problems instantly solved in Thailand so far.

Ages away from German bureaucratic response which generally means the transportation of papers.

On the other hand the "German bureaucratic response" gives you a much higher chance not to become a victim of lack of airline maintenance and air control failure, the chances to die in a bus/train or your own car are 500% less and at home you won't be electrocuted by missing earth.

The transportation of papers is much higher here with one exception: the papers here have to show a couple of zero's behind the one.