Issue with US envoy 'won't escalate'

snoop1130

The Nation

BANGKOK: --THE controversy over US Ambassador to Thailand Glyn T Davies' criticism of the lese majeste law was not likely to escalate, Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said Friday.

Don also said he would seek to meet with the envoy to discuss this matter. "I don't think the situation will get worse or get out of hand," he said.

Davies drew criticism and opposition for saying that penalties under the lese majeste law were too harsh and that the law was often used to gag government critics. He made the comments in a talk at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Bangkok.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Issue-with-US-envoy-wont-escalate-30274339.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-04

Oh go on ........ escalate it. Go ahead ..... knock yourselves out and declare war on the U.S.A.

A few hundred lobotomized padites vs America. You might get lucky if you all wear a few hundred bullet proof amulets. Watch out for that napalm though.

Oh go on ........ escalate it. Go ahead ..... knock yourselves out and declare war on the U.S.A.

A few hundred lobotomized padites vs America. You might get lucky if you all wear a few hundred bullet proof amulets. Watch out for that napalm though.

I seem to recall a swell of anti-Americanism in South Korea in the 90s. The U.S. government of the day became so p!ssed off their response was along the lines of: 'You know what, #### this. If you want us gone, we will go. The hell with putting up with this bullcrap'. It suddenly became very quiet after that. My point is, be careful what you wish for. I am sure American patience has limits...

It won't escalate unless the Thai govt wants to escalate it. Right now the Thai govt is just using it to their short term advantage with certain pockets of the population since the news media is giving it some coverage...and the Thai govt know escalating it would be a negative for Thailand as the U.S. will not change its position. In another week it will be a forgotten issue.

yeah, then what is exactly the "issue" ?

There is no issue.

The military junta will continue to abuse the rights of Thai citizens and the US ambassador will continue to call them out on it.

There is nothing to escalate.

I thought i read some where that the demonstrators wanted to charge the ambassador with LM That would escalate it i think.

It is their country their laws so they may well pursue it in court.

Something about "diplomatic immunity" might prevent that from happening. And if it did happen, the repercussions might be a bit damaging to Thailand's ever-so-important "face."

200 ultra nationalists bleating outside the embassy does not opposition make. Most Thais I know have no grudge with America and understand it to be petty politics and they also understand the unfairness of those 200 being allowed to demo but they and their friends who want democracy are not.

Good on you Ambassador keep it up!

Notice none of the Euroid ambassadors had the balls to stand up for human and civil rights. It was not much of a situation but the owners of the the rent a mob corporation got they mob together quickly with a monk to do the dirty work. The military probably told them how long they could stay. Mobs at the US Embassy do not fall under the 5 person rule.

Why is this ever an issue.

Not our country.

Keep our noses out of Thailand's business.

Thais are not allowed to put their 'noses' in 'Thailand's business' either

what you meant to say was "everyone stay out of the Junta's business' right? and what about Thailand's recent comments on ISIS and the Refugees? not their business right? in fact why have Embassies? let's all live in Ultra Nationalistic Bubbles!

It won't escalate unless the Thai govt wants to escalate it. Right now the Thai govt is just using it to their short term advantage with certain pockets of the population since the news media is giving it some coverage...and the Thai govt know escalating it would be a negative for Thailand as the U.S. will not change its position. In another week it will be a forgotten issue.

Classic tactic for regimes that have legitimacy and popularity issues to play the nationalistic card. Anyone believing the demonstration by the mad monk and his rabble was not approved by The Man beforehand must be half asleep.

Notice none of the Euroid ambassadors had the balls to stand up for human and civil rights. It was not much of a situation but the owners of the the rent a mob corporation got they mob together quickly with a monk to do the dirty work. The military probably told them how long they could stay. Mobs at the US Embassy do not fall under the 5 person rule.

The British ambassador, Mark Kent, has critized the junta in straightforward terms on several occasions since the coup. You can dig up stories on him at prachatai.com.