Watch on suspect groups - IS threat in Thailand 'realistic', say experts

rooster59

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be plenty of people in uniforms around so visualy it looks good but I wonder what training and plans have been laid down in the event of an incident. Its no good running around with pencils and note books after the event a bit more proactive postures might be a better deterrent. Thailand looks a soft target compared to Europe, US and Russia and you can bet they ( terrorists ) will be active in those places as Paris showed us. The authorities might swallow their pride and ask better prepared countries what to look out for, a big ask though for someone who knows everything, has nothing to learn as shown by the reward for the solving of the Bangkok bombing. No they would not dare come back to Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya etc they know what to expect if they do and so do we.

Edited by nong38

Wanwichit believed that IS fighters would remain static if they were in the Kingdom. IS had been under a lot of pressure from international troops recently and it would not want to ruin Thailand has a safe hub, he said.

Oh, that's a very good idea. Give the terrorists a safe habour, say Thailand, then they will not create any troubles! Why nobody else in EU or US got this great idea?

Wanwichit believed that IS fighters would remain static if they were in the Kingdom. IS had been under a lot of pressure from international troops recently and it would not want to ruin Thailand has a safe hub, he said.

What a dumb statement...as long as ISIS behave while they are in Thailand then they have a safe hub for R and R.

Very bad choice of words indeed
But likely not far from the truth

Yes, I do agree.

Actually ISIS must have a safe hub somewhere in South-East Asia for hiding and recreation.

Thailand suits this purpose very well (as another poster has already mentioned).

So Thailand may become a Daesh's safe hub.

Probably this is not their intention to ruin this hub by planning their attacks in Thailand.

Somebody is not interested to shoot himself in the foot, is he?

What a dumb statement...as long as ISIS behave while they are in Thailand then they have a safe hub for R and R.

Am I mistaken as I can hardly believe what I am reading here. Are they saying that all ISIS are welcome here for a bit of jolly respite before they move on and attack again as long as it is somewhere else? Does this idiot think they are just here as tourists despite them just having set off bombs in BKK? There can be no excuse for poor controls at the borders and trying to make out it was intentional to be sympathetic is pathetic.

What makes me laugh the most is the officials saying that anyone found to be publically making comments that could cause unrest will be dealt with whilst known terrorists are going to be left alone to enjoy freedom in LOS and do anything they like. I hope these Dudley Do Rights are dealt with severely when it all kicks off.

but but but yesterday they said:

"The Royal Thai Police assured the public that no Islamic State militants had been found in Thailand following a warning by the Russian Federal Security Service which claimed that ten Syrians linked to Islamic State entered the country in October."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/876248-thai-police-is-militants-not-found-in-thailand/#entry10156962

Following this announcement Thailand's Internal Security Operations Commission may want to further broaden its cooperation with the Russian FSB (which is a renamed former KGB) and invite more Russian FSB agents to stay in Thailand and take care of ISIS threat, especially to the Russian interests in Thailand, in cooperation with the Special Division of the Royal Thai Police.

Russian tourism is very important to Thailand's economy.

I feel this Country is quite safe in comparison to the west!

I am happy for you and your feelings.

However, certain areas in this country, particularly where westerners gather, such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya etc., are potentially quite dangerous.

Dont get it ? They are monitoring their movements and allowing to move around freely. They are known to them as belonging to a terrorist group then why do they allow them to stay in the country??

Yes, rather strange, they can kick out a harmless farang because he made a mistake seasoning his bank deposit but they cant touch suspected terrorists who are a real danger to the country. The immigration authorities have tremendous power why aren't they using it, yellow streaks getting in the way perhaps

Immigration........eh....in country where you can jump on the bus and your good for another month or do it the deluxe way with organized minivan visa run, or pay enough under the table and the nearest you are to the immigration is to hand over the money to your agent.

Fearmongering NONSENSE!!

Maybe not really. Hopefully more like anti-fear mongering to ease concerns that exist concerning competence, and a month or so down the road we'll be hearing about the great job warding off the threats of IS was presenting this month.

Don't know why, but my guess is 3. 3 explosions set in different locations to cause mass panic and confusion. And the RTP will be running around without a clue like chickens with their heads cut off. Don't ask me why I pick the number 3, but just a feeling.

It would be harsh but prudent at this time for all entry points to refuse entry to anyone coming from a Muslim country.

Would that solve the problem (ISIS)? Would you stop Malaysians, Indonesians, etc?

What about the members of ISIS from say, UK, USA, Europe?

Only a thought, but if a terrorist organization was planning an action in another country, their 'terrorists' would not be in Syrian national costumes, knee length beard and all...............wink.png

Wasn't there last month or sometime after the Erawan bombing not the announcemet that there is "no IS/terror threat" or something along those lines? Geez.

It is a good point.

But a better point is that if you believe the media spin on a ridiculous statement from a government spokesperson (or anybody for that matter) that there is no possibility of a terrorist action nationwide, then you really need to have a quiet word with yourself.

As example, while i personally don't think the Erawan bombing had anything to do with ISIS as such, nobody saw that coming did they?

Am I mistaken as I can hardly believe what I am reading here. Are they saying that all ISIS are welcome here for a bit of jolly respite before they move on and attack again as long as it is somewhere else? Does this idiot think they are just here as tourists despite them just having set off bombs in BKK? There can be no excuse for poor controls at the borders and trying to make out it was intentional to be sympathetic is pathetic.

Were Germans and Italians and Brits and Americans and other belligerents welcomed into Spain and Uruguay and Mexico, etc. during WWII, in between going back out and killing each other?

That's what neutrality is about.

I'm not going to claim it's a good idea in this day and time and specific instance, but it's been a clever strategy to keep out of the crossfire throughout history. While making money from all sides, and patiently waiting to pick over the spoils of the stupidity of war.

Why don't we all - not least the Thai security services - face up to the reality that nobody can say with any certainty how safe we are or are not from terrorist attacks because nobody really knows?

Clearly, as recent events in Paris and Bangkok have vividly demonstrated, terrorism can be inflicted apparently randomly, with or without any warning, by either unhinged members of the indigenous population or fanatical outsiders seemingly able to infiltrate almost any country practically at will.

The question we should be asking is not how we can stop terrorism - because we can't - but how much of our normal, everyday lives we are prepared to sacrifice in our irrational fear of a relative handful of religious or political fanatics who would harm us.

Since we are statistically more likely to be killed by a mad dog or bee sting than murdered by a terrorist, would we not be better advised to concentrate resource on where it would make a significance difference - on combating violent crime, for example, or reducing the horrendous toll of road deaths? How many of us use insect repellent before sniffing flowers or stroke soi dogs without first having rabies jabs?

Paranoia is a weapon historically used by politicians to persuade gullible populations to accept restrictions on democratic freedoms and personal liberty which would otherwise be unacceptable, while simultaneously increasing emotional dependence on the state - an institution which in many instances is a distorted dictatorial and undemocratic travesty of the original model.

To overcome our fear of terrorism, we need to keep a sense perspective. This means looking beyond the sensationalist headlines of a tame mass media and recognising the self-interested scaremongering of venal politicians for what it is.

We have nothing to lose but our self-imposed chains.

Edited by Krataiboy

Dont get it ? They are monitoring their movements and allowing to move around freely. They are known to them as belonging to a terrorist group then why do they allow them to stay in the country??

Yes, rather strange, they can kick out a harmless farang because he made a mistake seasoning his bank deposit but they cant touch suspected terrorists who are a real danger to the country. The immigration authorities have tremendous power why aren't they using it, yellow streaks getting in the way perhaps

Immigration........eh....in country where you can jump on the bus and your good for another month or do it the deluxe way with organized minivan visa run, or pay enough under the table and the nearest you are to the immigration is to hand over the money to your agent.

I understand your cynicism, perhaps share it, but the three examples you quote are for people already in the country who wish to extend their stay, not people outside who wish to enter.