Chang beer contents

luke000

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the oldest saws on the Thai calendar. I remember first hearing the formaldehyde one about beer Sing in the old, squat bottles that have now disappeared; that was in about 1988, I'm sure old-timers heard it even earlier. As for amphetamines....

It's all part of the rich Thai urban legend industry, like the katoey who was married to the Italian for four years before the latter discovered the truth....

Oh, wait - that one turned out to be true.

I don't think it's plausible that it contains amphetamines, though perhaps it could contain other stimulants that are legal (pure speculation on my part). I refuse to drink Chang so I don't know.

I think all the Asian beers are very 'chemical' in their nature. If you drink a German or Belgian (and others) type beer it is a completely different experience. I wish they had craft/micro brewery beers near me, as the imports have horrific tax rates, but I'd be willing to pay double, and probably drink half as much to have that comfortable social effect without getting silly, and wake up feeling great, than going the cheap route and doing so much damage to the body.

I did hear that all beer in LoS contain variable strengths of beer by %. i.e. supposed to be 3.5 and its 7 etc... Carlsberg once partners with Chang pulled out of Thailand for some time

read this old thread on TV

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/485860-carlsberg/

Even big players have probs doing business here...not just some bloke owning a bar/Go Go etc....

To me, Chang, Leo and Singha are quite drinkable beers.

The only thing I've noticed with these beers against other nationalities is they don't seem to keep a head of foam for very long. However, that may be to do with the cleanliness of the glasses.

To me, Chang, Leo and Singha are quite drinkable beers.

The only thing I've noticed with these beers against other nationalities is they don't seem to keep a head of foam for very long. However, that may be to do with the cleanliness of the glasses.

The ONLY Thai beer worth drinking is cheers extra red can. Brewer San Miguel.

I did hear that all beer in LoS contain variable strengths of beer by %. i.e. supposed to be 3.5 and its 7 etc... Carlsberg once partners with Chang pulled out of Thailand for some time

Even big players have probs doing business here...not just some bloke owning a bar/Go Go etc....

Used to be the case years ago.

Now almost everything is export strength (5%) and regulated.

I hate all Thai and Asian beers for that matter. They make me sick because they have absolutely no taste and are full of gas.

For real beer see www.camra.org.uk - Bless this organization!

Each to his own taste,Don't nock it, many people don't drink the shit you drink!

Crossy, on 06 Dec 2015 - 09:20, said:

That's one I've not heard. As a Chang drinker I should be permanently high.

There is a persistent rumour that it does contain formaldehyde as a preservative, but it's just that, a rumour.

http://www.beer-faq.com/formaldehyde-beer/

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!

there is a way to test for this, I was shown this in India where in the past the cheap beers were full of it. fill a glass half full with water then put the neck of the beer bottle in to the water (upside down of course). if there's preservative it will drop to the bottom of the glass as it's denser than water & beer. the really shitty beers like black label etc used to have nearly half a glass of preservative in a pint bottle. once I was shown this trick I always poured away the preservative but it still didn't stop the chemical hangover, the last time I went back to the UK I got drunk on John Smith's & woke crying in the morning due to the hangover from hell. this is one area I would love the EU to enforce a law, the purity laws some European countries have.

as far as what the expats I drink with drink, it seems to be mostly Leo & Singha with Heineken & San Miguel next. there is an urban myth going around in Rayong that Chang classic will often exceed 10% alcohol and has been measured at over 12% and I find it too strong at the standard 7.5%. I really liked the Chang export & draught but after having a promotion for a while they seem to have disappeared off the supermarket shelves.

Edited by sandrabbit

I've not heard it for a long time, but when I first got off the boat here, they used to call Chang "Lottery beer" (that you never knew what you were getting from one bottle to the next). Perhaps that's a bit unfair to Chang when perhaps they're all doing it(?). I've noticed once in a while Leo tasted really off at most establishments, then a week later back to normal. I do think Leo was a nicer beer 10 years ago, but maybe that's just fond and false memories.

FederBrau I can cope with in small doses, but it doesn't taste as you would hope for on the label ingredients. Right now I enjoy SanMig regular where available, though I used to think of that as a duff beer when in EU.

I've not heard it for a long time, but when I first got off the boat here, they used to call Chang "Lottery beer" (that you never knew what you were getting from one bottle to the next). Perhaps that's a bit unfair to Chang when perhaps they're all doing it(?). I've noticed once in a while Leo tasted really off at most establishments, then a week later back to normal. I do think Leo was a nicer beer 10 years ago, but maybe that's just fond and false memories.

FederBrau I can cope with in small doses, but it doesn't taste as you would hope for on the label ingredients. Right now I enjoy SanMig regular where available, though I used to think of that as a duff beer when in EU.

I once once told by a brewery chemist at the Carlton & United factory in Australia that the shelf life of beer is only 3 - 6 months. The flavour components of beer are not like wine, they degrade quite quickly.

Given the higher temperatures in Thailand, and the fact many liquor shops may have stock on their shelves for up to a year, it's quite possible the variability of beer here is related to transport and storage factors. Probably better to buy beer from stores with high turnover.

I've heard of arsenic being used in an Australian beer ( Emu bitter ) as a preservative for the tropics; however, that could be an urban myth too.

Rice and chemicals.....forget hops, barley or wheat....

Horse@@@@.

Why would it have wheat, it's not a Belgian wit.

Beer is 75-85% barley malt with the remaining percentage adjuncts, such as roast barley, wheat, rice, rye malt, crystal malt, toasted malts.

It's a long list.

Even porters and stouts are only a small percentage of the darker roast malts as adjuncts. They are still mostly pale barley malt.

Chang's adjunct is rice. So what? Many fine beers have rice as an adjunct.

If you can't taste the hops in Chang, you know bugger all about beer.

There is very little point in putting chemicals in beer especially preservatives. Hops is a natural preservative and Chang is pasteurized anyways.

Some breweries do put head whiteners and head retention chemicals in, but I have no idea if Chang does.

If you know dick about beer, why spout crap?

I really liked the Chang export & draught but after having a promotion for a while they seem to have disappeared off the supermarket shelves.

Chang have stopped making Export and draught

sigh ..............

Crossy, on 06 Dec 2015 - 09:20, said:

That's one I've not heard. As a Chang drinker I should be permanently high.

There is a persistent rumour that it does contain formaldehyde as a preservative, but it's just that, a rumour.

http://www.beer-faq.com/formaldehyde-beer/

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!

there is a way to test for this, I was shown this in India where in the past the cheap beers were full of it. fill a glass half full with water then put the neck of the beer bottle in to the water (upside down of course). if there's preservative it will drop to the bottom of the glass as it's denser than water & beer. the really shitty beers like black label etc used to have nearly half a glass of preservative in a pint bottle. once I was shown this trick I always poured away the preservative but it still didn't stop the chemical hangover, the last time I went back to the UK I got drunk on John Smith's & woke crying in the morning due to the hangover from hell. this is one area I would love the EU to enforce a law, the purity laws some European countries have.

as far as what the expats I drink with drink, it seems to be mostly Leo & Singha with Heineken & San Miguel next. there is an urban myth going around in Rayong that Chang classic will often exceed 10% alcohol and has been measured at over 12% and I find it too strong at the standard 7.5%. I really liked the Chang export & draught but after having a promotion for a while they seem to have disappeared off the supermarket shelves.

That test is a bogus internet hoax and it is designed to test for glycerin, which isn't a preservative but added to increase body and flavour.

India and a few other countries use glycerin in beer.

Glycerin won't give you a chemical hangover. Perhaps you just drank too much.