Which scooter style bikes have independant brakes?

canuckamuck

My wife is getting a new bike because her current one has combination brakes, which apply pressure to the front and brake from one lever. This is all good in most conditions, but since we are in a mountainous area, there are many times when you need to go downhill on a loose surface. This has quite often led to the front wheel slipping, causing a crash.

We know the Honda Wave has independent brakes, at least they used to. But what other bikes have this feature?

Normally for the combi brake the rear brake is connected via a cable and from the same lever there is one cable going to a 'secondary' front break cylinder, which is applying pressure on the front brake. It should be possible to disconnect this cable, so the result should be truly separate brakes. To get the idea have a look at the picture, which shows the interconnection. It is taken from the Technical Repair Manual for my PCX 150.

Be sure to remember the new configuration in case of an emergency , if you need the full braking power. Be reminded that all work at the braking system should be done by a professional, and changes may be risky and might be bad for your health.

post-693-0-69150100-1449386960_thumb.jpg

That is interesting, so you are saying it can be modified so one lever is rear brake and the other is front?

I wonder if someone can confirm that.

Her bike is 8 years old though and I think she would prefer to have a new one over a modified one. What happens if you squeeze the wrong lever by mistake?

I am sure wife's Scoopy don't have combi brakes. A shitty scooter all in all, it screams budget all over it.

My pcx 150 off-course have combi brakes and in Pattaya I find them very good.

I think I read here somewhere that one had brake problems on a pcx going down a step mountain side, 2 up.

I rented pcx125 on Phuket 2-3 times and never has any brake problems and I was riding it hard.

OP what scooter do your wife have now?

Well 8 years is a long time for any scooter and brakes have improved since, hell the new N-max Yamaha scooter even have abs brakes as standard.

Guzzi,

I think you have missed the OP's point.

Under certain conditions, using the front brake is not desired, e.g. going downhill on a loose surface. Some combi brakes mean that the front brake is always applied to some extent.

So, the OP is looking for a scooter with independent braking. I think the majority of Yamaha scooters have this. I suggested the Mio but other Yamahas have this desired lack of combi braking.

thumbsup.gif

Guzzi,

I think you have missed the OP's point.

Under certain conditions, using the front brake is not desired, e.g. going downhill on a loose surface. Some combi brakes mean that the front brake is always applied to some extent.

So, the OP is looking for a scooter with independent braking. I think the majority of Yamaha scooters have this. I suggested the Mio but other Yamahas have this desired lack of combi braking.

thumbsup.gif

No I don't think I missed OP's point.

I was just adding to the point that under conditions (riding down a very looooong mountain) that combi brake system can give further problems as both brakes are engaged and might overheat.

Okay the right lever only apply brakes on the front brake and left is combi but most lady riders are not concerned about such things.

If OP's wife don't mind she should perhaps get a Wave125, where you got a real foot lever for the rear brake and even gears to help using engine breaking when descending from high up.

This is a real bike set-up and can't be misunderstood but most ladies will prefer an auto scooter.

I would like to know if the click has independent brakes as the scoopy has?

If you are looking for an automatic Yamaha lightweight with independent braking, then the Mio fits the bill.

If you want a Wave lookalike, Yamaha does the Spark in 115 and 135cc. However these are semi-automatic and require the rider to change gear.

There is also a smaller Spark 115 ccm.

In the OP I do not find a hint whether it must be an automatic or can be a "manual" as the Spark is.

"scooter style" sounds like automatic?

One thing for sure: if you see a manual one with a foot brake directly "wired" to the rear wheel, then it is surely independent.

I like the manual gear changers better than all those wiggly automatic types with the small wheels.

Edited by KhunBENQ

New Spark 115 ccm in three editions for 38'000, 40'000 or 42'000 Baht.

Would recommend the 42'000 Baht version with (front?) disk brake!

Someone disagree?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/2014/product.php/type/manual/title/Spark-115i-2015

They advertise 96.68 km (about 60 miles) with one liter of fuel???

Is that possible? Even close?

Edited by KhunBENQ

New Spark 115 ccm in three editions for 38'000, 40'000 or 42'000 Baht.

Would recommend the 42'000 Baht version with (front?) disk brake!

Someone disagree?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/2014/product.php/type/manual/title/Spark-115i-2015

They advertise 96.68 km (about 60 miles) with one liter of fuel???

Is that possible? Even close?

Impressive low fuel consumption man, I burned app 10 lit per 100km on my ex Harley when riding hard.

Maybe it is, or they can't advertise like that. I think many will complain if they only get 50-60km/l.

I wonder how many, or should I say; how few HP does it have?

Yes definitely get one with front disk brake.

Yamaha are making good scooters now which is nice to see.

I will never be a Honda fanatic and only buy them but sadly Thais are generally very brand loyal and it's not worth it, many other brands are just as good.

This time around we are looking for a lightweight, because of the off road factor. I just don't know much about what else is in the Wave category, with the standard braking setup and minimal plastics. Does Yamaha have a similar bike?

If you want a Honda Wave style motorcycle, you can also look for a Lifan Super ZX (110cc) which will only cost you 25,000 THB. The Lifan Super FX has a semi-automatic 4-gear which is probably also appreciated when you go up hill.... Little bit more luxurous is the Lifan PK110, has disc brakes and a few more extra's which will cost you 29,000 THB.

Another option is the Lifan Pony, which has also a 110cc Semi-automatic 4-gear transmission, disc brakes and a bit off-road tires while still have a seat height of 730mm... The Lifan Pony cost 39,000 THB...

Combi-Brake... are you kidding of course not.... smile.png

_________________4ffcfc025058b.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK