Newbie moving from UK early 2016 - I have loads of questions, hope it's ok post

Mover1

Another bloody tax evader.

I believe the OP is extremely misguided or badly advised if he thinks he can avoid paying taxes on rental income or capital gains.

Capital gains is quite low these days- OP just pay up like everyone else.

Also OP - it's quite refreshing to hear you are so excited coming to Thailand- be aware ( apart from the Elite scheme) there is NO visa that will allow you to stay easily at your age.

You are planning to live in a country with a military Government. You are used to being protected by almost every law on the planet in the mollycoddled UK.

This is a lawless country- it can spit you out- trust very few people- especially other expats- by far the worst.

Good luck

PS if you are really concerned about electricity charges- forget it

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi AbeSurd,
Thanks for the reply, i'll repost some of the questions in the forum you mentioned.
I'll have to have a chat with the banks and see what i'm supposed to do, i don't know whether they're all for UK residents or not. And ask about each ones off-shore accounts, if they do one.
I wasn't planning on keeping a UK address, would a rental property be ok to do this with even if it's rented out? Can you tell me why this is so important, this isn't something i'd even thought about before as i was told to cut all ties because of tax reasons.

If you plan on returning to the UK after the 5 years are up you will find that you suddenly have no credit rating, presumably you also won't have been on the electoral roll for 5 years so opening a bank account will not be easy, even if you deposit a large amount of money. You will need to start from scratch and this can become a real pain, even for small things like getting a mobile phone - no electoral roll record + no bank account = no credit, even for the small things. For this reason I keep an active UK mobile phone and bank account.

I suggest keeping at least one bank account open and not telling them anything. I've heard of people just mentioning that they now live abroad on a visit back to the UK and the banks reaction was to instantly freeze / close all accounts along with their credit cards and overdraft facilities !

There is some obscure regulation which says if you're in the UK for less than a certain number of days per year then you can't be treated as a resident, I think it's 15 days or less - this is from memory so I would check with your advisors on that. I haven't been to the UK for years and don't plan to ever return apart from maybe a short visit so it's not something I've really looked into in much detail. There are also many other rules like the 90 day per year thing but from what I read the greatly reduced number of days limit is (or was) definitive.

There's still plenty of people over here paying UK tax though so you do need to plan it carefully even if you never go back.

My bank knows I'm in Thailand, I'm always in contact with them through my online account, and have been getting money sent over from time to time.

Any e-mails I send them are always answered.

I have never actually said "I live in Thailand", I also have my UK debit card, which is sent over to me by a family member when it gets renewed.

A reasonable strategy is to promise yourself that you will not buy property, a house or a condo for at least two years and that during that period you will rent on short term leases. That way you have time to get to understand the geography, the people, the culture and markets.

Another reasonable approach which worked well for me a dozen years ago was to spend six months in each of the major locations, Bangkok (but only if you're a City boy), Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai and somewhere in Issan. Others may have additional locations to suggest but you get the general picture, avoid settling in one place when that's all you've seen or know - you said you might travel the world well perhaps traveling Thailand is the start of that.

Transport: given that you've got some cash and I presume you can drive, maybe consider buying a car/truck/SUV, driving here is not that difficult for people who've driven for a few years and have some nerve, skill and experience - it will allow you to see lots of places you otherwise wouldn't notice and it will free you from the frustrating trap of public transport. Just a thought.

Would be spouses and partners: perhaps useful to view them the same way you would a location, as described in the first para above!

As for renting an apartment the first thing to watch out for is the price of the electricity, some of them will overcharge you by 2 or 3 times the going rate. If you rent it directly from the owner you often pay the electric bill when it arrives just like you would do back in the UK but if the apartment rental is 'managed' by either an estate agent or the front office of the apartment block then they will almost certainly add something to each unit of electricity you pay. This is a normal and widely accepted practice, you just need to make sure you don't get ripped off with some outrageous rate.

The business of landlords 'overcharging' for electricity needs to be kept in perspective. My landlord charges me roughly double the electricity company rate, but I really like my apartment and, given the low rent, think my total accommodation package is very good value. I wouldn't dream of moving because I'm being 'overcharged' for electricity.

If you were paying the normal electric bill, to would be paying around 4,5 Bt per unit.

You say you have a low rent, I would bet that if you were paying a normal rent, and 4.5 Bt per unit of electric, altogether

you would be paying a bit less. If you are paying around 9 Bt per unit of electricity, you are being scammed.

Keep a UK address.

Keep your UK bank accounts.

Don't tell anyone you are moving abroad.

Leave your money in the UK.

No point in abandoning the NHS and the safety nets of the UK and it's financial system.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

If he is then good luck to him. All he would be doing is helping to pay Foreign aid, MPs expenses and huge annual wage increases, benefits

for all the immigrants etc,etc,etc,etc.

And the NHS which the previous poster suggests the OP keeps a UK address so he can continue to use it's (free) service. Come on, you can't have it all ways.

If everyone paid their taxes, our good old NHS wouldn't be in such a sorry state.

If he is then good luck to him. All he would be doing is helping to pay Foreign aid, MPs expenses and huge annual wage increases, benefits

And the NHS which the previous poster suggests the OP keeps a UK address so he can continue to use it's (free) service. Come on, you can't have it all ways.

If everyone paid their taxes, our good old NHS wouldn't be in such a sorry state.

We can't have it all ways???? The banks certainly do. If everyone paid their taxes, so all these MPs and their rich pals do?? haha, haha, haha.

We can't have it all ways???? The banks certainly do. If everyone paid their taxes, so all these MPs and their rich pals do?? haha, haha, haha.
Yes, exactly! However you can't criticize them and then do the same yourself.

Perhaps best to get back on track of trying to help the OP with his planning rather than p iss and moan about everything related to the UK, no!

Dunno but someone,

Obsessing about the price of electricity,

Sought advice from Tax pros in the UK,

Sounds a bit trollish.

Not to mention how would he be having any tax liability in the UK (having sold his rental homes)?

As for renting an apartment the first thing to watch out for is the price of the electricity, some of them will overcharge you by 2 or 3 times the going rate. If you rent it directly from the owner you often pay the electric bill when it arrives just like you would do back in the UK but if the apartment rental is 'managed' by either an estate agent or the front office of the apartment block then they will almost certainly add something to each unit of electricity you pay. This is a normal and widely accepted practice, you just need to make sure you don't get ripped off with some outrageous rate.

The business of landlords 'overcharging' for electricity needs to be kept in perspective. My landlord charges me roughly double the electricity company rate, but I really like my apartment and, given the low rent, think my total accommodation package is very good value. I wouldn't dream of moving because I'm being 'overcharged' for electricity.

If you were paying the normal electric bill, to would be paying around 4,5 Bt per unit.

You say you have a low rent, I would bet that if you were paying a normal rent, and 4.5 Bt per unit of electric, altogether

you would be paying a bit less. If you are paying around 9 Bt per unit of electricity, you are being scammed.

A scam is a trick or deceit. Since I know exactly what's going on I am not being scammed.

And I like where I'm living so, sorry, I can't get remotely excited about "paying a bit less".

1- Wait until you are 45 and things cool off here. If you still want to come, get the Elite, it is worth it for 5 years of no headaches.

Since you won't take my first advice,

2- Get the Elite now, when it runs out you will be 48, you can then play the "Under 50, Thailand Hates Me" game for 2 years with some METV'S, SETV'S, extensions and exemptions.

If you don't have the lump cash for the Elite than your liquid nest egg is too small, see option 1.

A scam is a trick or deceit. Since I know exactly what's going on I am not being scammed.

And I like where I'm living so, sorry, I can't get remotely excited about "paying a bit less".

No problem, if you are happy paying twice the going rate for anything, that's your decision.

Hi ukrules,
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which visa i should be applying for if the tourist one is no good? I haven't heard of the Thailand Elite but will look into it, £9300 is a big unexpected chunk to cough up though! Haha.
Thanks for the tips on renting. Can you give me any pointers on how much the electric rates should be, just so i know i'm not getting ripped off? Are there any websites to check on this?
Cheers smile.png

As a starter, you might want to consider the new METV (multiple entry tourist visa). As you get settled, you can then choose the visa that most suits, eg, study visa, work visa, who knows marriage visa.

Renting an apartment is easy it usually involves 2 months deposit, and 1 month in advance. Some apartments offer weekly or monthly rates though these tend to be a lot more expensive.

Typically a self contained studio room will be 6000 baht upwards, and a nicer apartment 20000 baht per month, with plenty of choice in between.

Electricity will vary from 1000- 3000 baht per month depending on whether you use aircon.

Water rates generally 200-300 baht.

If I may suggest, you need to decide on a base from which to start, eg, Bangkok, Pattaya, or Hua Hin. If you were to choose a city like Bangkok, don't commit yourself to a long contract too soon as the heat and pollution can cause allergic illness that can't be controlled.

That's preposterous ! I know of many farangs who live in BKK and control these illnesses by visiting the soapies weekly if not daily !

1- Wait until you are 45 and things cool off here. If you still want to come, get the Elite, it is worth it for 5 years of no headaches.

Since you won't take my first advice,

2- Get the Elite now, when it runs out you will be 48, you can then play the "Under 50, Thailand Hates Me" game for 2 years with some METV'S, SETV'S, extensions and exemptions.

If you don't have the lump cash for the Elite than your liquid nest egg is too small, see option 1.

He can easily cover the first year with a 6 month METV plus a single entry tourist visa from somewhere like Phnom Penh so there's no need to wait. I suspect 2 years on various tourist visas will be quite easy to do, it will be tedious but possible.

The rules will almost certainly change in the next year or two anyway. The OP did say he's coming for 5 years, not sure if this is just an initial plan or he has firm plans to move on elsewhere after 5 years. In my experience a lot can change in 5 years.

When my TE visa runs out in 2019 I'll probably just renew it and get another one, I'll be 47 then so there will be a 2 year overlap before I can even consider a retirement visa under the current regulations. I guess I'll review my own situation in spring 2019.

Mizztraveller. What's for the goose is for the gander.

Well it's just as well everyone doesn't have your attitude. I don't much like parting with my well-earned money but I very much like free education, free health care, free security (police, armed forces), good roads ........ etc, etc

Well it's just as well everyone doesn't have your attitude. I don't much like parting with my well-earned money but I very much like free education, free health care, free security (police, armed forces), good roads ........ etc, etc

I am more than happy with my attitude, just like the MPs and their rich friends I will put myself first I suppose you will also be happy if you are living in Thailand when you get your pension and the UK government steals your annual pension increases from you, while giving out so much of your hard earned taxes towards overseas aid etc,etc.

I am more than happy with my attitude, just like the MPs and their rich friends I will put myself first I suppose you will also be happy if you are living in Thailand when you get your pension and the UK government steals your annual pension increases from you, while giving out so much of your hard earned taxes towards overseas aid etc,etc.

All of which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's questions or his needs, if you guys want to talk about the left, NHS, pensions or anything else, start your own thread!

Do Mods actually watch this stuff, hello, wake up time!!!!

My advice is to just move and worry (or not worry..) about all of those things later!

Having lived abroad for 25 years of my life,most people seem to worry and create hurdles for themselves that never exist in the first place.

F.J wai2.gif x

It's just as well not everyone puts themselves first. I have no issue with overseas aid, nor refugees.

It's fairly obvious that we're very different people with different principles and see no point in continuing this debate further.

Over and out.

All of which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's questions or his needs, if you guys want to talk about the left, NHS, pensions or anything else, start your own thread!

Do Mods actually watch this stuff, hello, wake up time!!!!

You do have a point, but the OP is from the UK, and he needs to know certain things about Thailand and the UK.

I am also from the UK, and I did not know that the UK pension was frozen until I was over here for about three years.

The OP has asked so many questions, and it is easy to go a bit off topic sometimes, I apologise for my part in it.

Hi ukrules,
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which visa i should be applying for if the tourist one is no good? I haven't heard of the Thailand Elite but will look into it, £9300 is a big unexpected chunk to cough up though! Haha.
Thanks for the tips on renting. Can you give me any pointers on how much the electric rates should be, just so i know i'm not getting ripped off? Are there any websites to check on this?
Cheers smile.png

As a starter, you might want to consider the new METV (multiple entry tourist visa). As you get settled, you can then choose the visa that most suits, eg, study visa, work visa, who knows marriage visa.

Renting an apartment is easy it usually involves 2 months deposit, and 1 month in advance. Some apartments offer weekly or monthly rates though these tend to be a lot more expensive.

Typically a self contained studio room will be 6000 baht upwards, and a nicer apartment 20000 baht per month, with plenty of choice in between.

Electricity will vary from 1000- 3000 baht per month depending on whether you use aircon.

Water rates generally 200-300 baht.

If I may suggest, you need to decide on a base from which to start, eg, Bangkok, Pattaya, or Hua Hin. If you were to choose a city like Bangkok, don't commit yourself to a long contract too soon as the heat and pollution can cause allergic illness that can't be controlled.

That's preposterous ! I know of many farangs who live in BKK and control these illnesses by visiting the soapies weekly if not daily !

Now they tell me !!!!

Hi ukrules,

Cheers smile.png

If you think £9300.A big chunk of change,maybe you should reconsider.

The Thai Elite card is the best option for a person of your age and intended length of stay.

Check it out.

Buy to letter sells properties with no CGT....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yup - I tend to agree with MaeJoMTB post#41 - the OP has the smell of an elaborate troll, and I'm surprised so many have risen to it.

Far too many ambiguities for my liking.

Crikey, some of you guys are such cynics! Haha.

I can assure you i'm genuine. I've been reading the replies on here on and off all day and will try to reply to each one of them later on, when i've got a bit more time. Appreciate everyone giving their advice and opinions so far, even if it's telling me i'm mad smile.png

Crikey, some of you guys are such cynics! Haha.

I can assure you i'm genuine. I've been reading the replies on here on and off all day and will try to reply to each one of them later on, when i've got a bit more time. Appreciate everyone giving their advice and opinions so far, even if it's telling me i'm mad smile.png

Welcome to ThaiVisa.com

Most of the other posters are really terrible. But I'm OK rolleyes.gif

£9300.A big chunk of change??? at your age, seems like this is a desperate move to escape. which is great, as long as you are happy. just remember, when funds are gone and you are 48 or so.....thailand won't want you.... i hope you have plenty of money for when you go back to UK.....

you can't work, visa issues, health, etc......the money will go soon....

this post might get deleted, but i would reconsider thailand....for now

until 9300 isn't a big chunk..