Defiant Londoners keep living their lives despite Tube stabbing and terror threat

webfact

Defiant Londoners keep living their lives despite Tube stabbing and terror threat

606x341_318411.jpg

"I am going to continue with my way of life as it is"

LONDON: -- Undaunted London-dwellers were still taking the Tube on Sunday at Leytonstone station, despite the knife attack there a day earlier by a man reportedly shouting ‘This is for Syria’.

Travellers are determined not to be intimidated by the stabbing or the terror threat.

“I am going to continue with my way of life as it is. I feel that they achieve nothing by being violent,” said Kathy Melbon.

Catherine Hegarty, who was near the station on Saturday evening, was full of praise for the way in which the police handled the incident.

“The police reacted really quickly,” she said.

“I was on the bus. They had everything stopped and everything cornered off so the reaction was really quick. That’s really good so everyone is on alert. If things are going to happen, they are going to happen, unfortunately.”

Emily Medway was also continuing with her day to day affairs.

“What happened yesterday is really awful but it is just one person who obviously has some wild ideas and so I don’t think it is going to happen again,” she said.

“There is no point in worrying about travelling because otherwise you would never go anywhere.”

The stiff upper lip response has been echoed by London’s Metropolitan Police which says members of the public should remain alert and vigilant, but should also keep calm.

Police are, however, preparing themselves should the worst happen.

Last week, London firearms officers took part in a simulated exercise on how to tackle a Paris-style mass shooting incident.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-07

what utter tosh ....there are stabbings DAILY in London resulting in at least one death a week; its just that this one is serving a purpose at the moment...how is it that people are blind to the fact that there is an agenda going on here (Paris just so happened and martial law set in place which bans all demos....just before the climate change CON took place), and just like obarmys speech later today it will be fear all the way...but dont be scared and go on with life as normal bah.gif its all going to plan

There has been an increase in Knife crime but it is mainly between young gangs and relating to turf wars or drug dealing. This latest "terrorist" incident is probably just a mentally ill nutter. Fortunately in the UK there are effective gun controls unlike the US where this could easily have been another bloodbath.

I lived in London through all the IRA bombings and we just got on with everyday business. I use the tube every week now and wouldn't think twice

We Brits, in London and everywhere else, carried on as normal despite the efforts of the Luftwaffe.

We carried on as normal despite the efforts of the IRA.

We carried on as normal after 7/7.

It's what we do; and only someone who does not understand the British psyche would consider this to be a news story.

Such a brave girl. However, I believe that Britain should outlaw silverware and other sharp objects. If silverware was outlawed, then these heinous knife attacks would not happen.

Remember: If knives are outlawed, only outlaws would have knives.

what utter tosh ....there are stabbings DAILY in London resulting in at least one death a week; its just that this one is serving a purpose at the moment...how is it that people are blind to the fact that there is an agenda going on here (Paris just so happened and martial law set in place which bans all demos....just before the climate change CON took place), and just like obarmys speech later today it will be fear all the way...but dont be scared and go on with life as normal bah.gif its all going to plan

Cui bono? In any intellectual pursuit one must ask who benefits? However, these days simply asking the question and not abiding by the provided party line is considered extreme. There is an unbroken string of terrible events and convenient solutions readily available these days.

Not long ago, some posers had issues with the way Belgium reacted (or overreacted) to the terrorist attacks warnings following the Paris attacks. Can't recall if it made it to the forum, but at least some of the Belgian media and public had opposite issues with their royal couple.

King of Belgium took spa treatment in France during Brussels terror lockdown King Philippe of Belgium and his wife, queen Mathilde, were relaxing in a spa in Britanny, western France, while Belgium was on maximum terror alert and the country was asking: where are our royals?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12029552/King-of-Belgium-took-spa-treatment-in-France-during-Brussels-terror-lockdown.html

Guess "keep living their lives" can take on different nuances.

Cui bono? In any intellectual pursuit one must ask who benefits? However, these days simply asking the question and not abiding by the provided party line is considered extreme. There is an unbroken string of terrible events and convenient solutions readily available these days.

That is not a must question in "any intellectual pursuit". It simply postulates that someone benefits, and a causality (often direct) to certain events. The phrase implies an illegal action, a crime, a conspiracy, and that things are not what they seem. As such, the phrase itself is loaded with biased meaning, which possibly taints its use as an instrument of "intellectual pursuit". It is quite easy to think of many everyday situations where this does not hold. or when it provides only a partial explanation to events and motivations.

We Brits, in London and everywhere else, carried on as normal despite the efforts of the Luftwaffe.

It's what we do; and only someone who does not understand the British psyche would consider this to be a news story.

Well said that man. Us Brits, especially Londoners, are made of sterner stuff. If you give up/in to terrorism, then the terrorists have won.

Well said that man. Us Brits, especially Londoners, are made of sterner stuff. If you give up/in to terrorism, then the terrorists have won.

Exactly.

And when the terrorists are hoping to provoke a good old-fashioned religious war, giving them what they want is letting them win. A fact that seems to be lost on some people.

Exactly.

And when the terrorists are hoping to provoke a good old-fashioned religious war, giving them what they want is letting them win. A fact that seems to be lost on some people.

Fair enough. ,

What would it take to actually make it a "good old-fashioned religious war", though? Or, put another way - at what point does the balance between "giving them what they want" and keeping a acceptable level of security tilts?

To be clear, I do not think that this attack, by itself, merits the hyped media attention etc., or that the current security situation in the UK is overly problematic. More wondering about when perceptions change and what causes them to change.

Which is why you now have surveillance cameras every 10 yards.

Morch,

No one in the UK has the slightest intention of ever giving the terrorists what they want; at least no sane person!

Usernames,

There are many security cameras now in the UK; don't you have them in your part of the world?

Many for the prevention or detection of crime; all sorts of crime.

We even have them in the bin area of the flats where I live; to discourage and identify, then prosecute, fly tippers..

But why does this mean we are not carrying on as normal?

Edited by 7by7

Morch,

No one in the UK has the slightest intention of ever giving the terrorists what they want; at least no sane person!

Usernames,

There are many security cameras now in the UK; don't you have them in your part of the world?

Many for the prevention or detection of crime; all sorts of crime.

We even have them in the bin area of the flats where I live; to discourage and identify, then prosecute, fly tippers..

But why does this mean we are not carrying on as normal?

I'd say that even running the OP means terrorists score a point.

But my point was more to do with the conditions which might change public attitudes (in this case, British).

Morch,

I'd say that even running the OP means terrorists score a point.

But my point was more to do with the conditions which might change public attitudes (in this case, British).

Change them how, and to what?

(Edited to include quote from preceding post as gone over page)

Edited by 7by7