Misleading title MISS !

Robert333

Hello,

I understand that a Thai lady is legally entitled to put onto her Thai Identity Card the title either: "Miss" or "Mrs" (I have no information about whether she can use "Ms"),

and that she can have these titles put on to her ID card in either Thai or in English.

(The title appears in the ID card "name" section.)

She can use the title "MISS", even though she has registered her marriage.

Yes, I am aware that in Thailand couples can have an informal marriage which is not registered, and that couples are not obliged to register their marriage.

Here I am referring to the circumstance where a Thai lady has registered her marriage but nevertheless it is legal for her ID card to continue (even after a renewal), to have the title "MISS", if she so chooses.

Since the title "MISS" means a single woman

(in other words it means: "I am NOT married"),

the use of the title "MISS" where she has registered her marriage could be misleading to foreign men who may incorrectly believe they are able to confirm a lady is not already married, by looking at her ID card.

I noticed this circumstance when my Thai wife and I registered our marriage and she then changed her surname to mine (as her choice), but having had a new ID card made, it still had the title "Miss". (She has since changed the title on it to "Mrs".)

This is therefore something about which foreign (non-Thai) men should made be aware,

Regards,

Robert333.

Archived