Bangkok - New Years Eve - any suggestions?

Supaluke

I have friends coming to Bangkok and will be here over New Years.

They are a married couple, about 50. Good Fun, not sticks in the mud.

Even though I've been here a long time, I've never actually spent NYE in Bangkok.

Any suggestions on what to propose for them?

All replies appreciated wai.gif

Although busy, Asiatique is a good choice. BTS to saphan thaksin, short boat ride downriver, plenty to eat and drink and great riverside fireworks at midnight. It'll be super crowded, but so will anywhere else...

Edited by lamyai3

Without playing the "drubber" here..., be sure they remain vigilant whatever they do. IF the media, as contradicting as they are ATM, are right, there does exist a "threat" and New Years Eve would be..., well you get my meaning.

If you use Facebook, might want to check in on "Bangkok Expats", "Desperately Seeking BKK", and "Bangkok Foodies". Seems they're always posting events and I recall many such posts last year for New Year.

Hope your friends really enjoy their time here.

Always some good fireworks by the river, if you want to splurge than book a dinner at one of the riverside hotels, but expect to pay 5000 baht and up per person. Asiatique seems to be a more budget friendly option. Don't think your friends will enjoy the crowds at this age so avoid inner bangkok.

We did a special New Years Chao Phraya dinner cruise a number of years ago and though expensive, it was spectacular and really worth it. Back then it was about B2500/person so I'm sure a lot more now but a great way to see the fireworks, party a bit, and have a good time without being jostled and swamped in a crowd.

Agree

Please be safe.

+ A Chao Phraya river cruise is a lot of fun. I've done several.

+ The Chatrium Riverside hotel is our FAV. Great river side restaurant and buffet. Bit expensive.

+ The Sheraton Riverside is also good, but not as good as The Chatrium. Both, take BTS to Thaksin station and they have boats to take you to their hotel.

I had not thought of Asiatique. Bet that place will be a "Mad House Crazy".

Stay close to the river.

Best wishes, and have a lot of fun!

Take it up a notch and head to Pattaya....the party starts in about a week and goes on and on and on until the end of January......?? Right royal pain in the arse of you live here.....??

Thanks for the thought, however, Pats, at this stage is not on the agenda.

Difficult to recommend without knowing what your budget is.

3 of you NYE.

10,000 baht will get you some basics only.

What is the budget OP?

Actually, will be just the two of them, NYE is not for me.

As for a budget, I hadn't really considered that.

I was thinking something more informal, but the feed-back I'm receiving suggests otherwise.

At this stage, I'll be suggesting the River Cruise to them, but yet to read the comments below yours.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Don't go far from your hotel/bed because getting a taxi after midnight is very hard.

Bear in mind the BTS usually has extended hours on New years eve, last year it was 2am

Last year at NY we took that last (or was it the first?) metro back home and it was super overloaded. It was funny though, there was a fallang speaking to a hooker in the metro, very loud, everybody could hear them. My wife had never heard such talk before and had to laugh so loud that i felt ashamed.

But without a booking we couldn't go in any hotel and the place we were sitting after the fireworks also closed at 1 or 2 am. This year i won't go in the city, nothing special there.

Always some good fireworks by the river, if you want to splurge than book a dinner at one of the riverside hotels, but expect to pay 5000 baht and up per person. Asiatique seems to be a more budget friendly option. Don't think your friends will enjoy the crowds at this age so avoid inner bangkok.

Prefer this option to Asiatique which is quite boring.

You can get vouchers online for a little over 1000 baht.