Trump: reaction swings from anger to derision

webfact

Trump: reaction swings from anger to derision

606x341_318530.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Donald Trump’s call to ban Muslims from entering the United States has been met with every sentiment from shock to derision.

In a campaign statement, Trump called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on”.

Mr Trump repeated his call later in the evening at a campaign rally in South Carolina.

What they are saying

The Muslim community in the United States has reacted with shock and anger to Donald Trump’s comments.

Nihad, Awad, the Executive Director of advocacy group the Council on American and Islamic Relations (CAIR) says it has echoes of America’s dark past.

“This is outrageous coming from someone who wants to assume the highest office in the land. It is reckless and simply un-American. Donald Trump sounds more like a leader of a lynch mob than a great nation like ours. He and others are playing into the hands of ISIS.”

Political rivals, led by fellow presidential-hopeful Hillary Clinton, were vociferous.

Former US Vice President Dick Cheney gave his opinion to the Washington Examiner

Has anyone publicly backed Trump’s call?

Yes, but not many people.

A few took to Twitter to voice their support.

Controversial conservative commentator Ann Coulter also had something to say.

You ain’t no Muslim, bruv

Trump’s rhetoric comes in the wake of the most recent demonstration of tolerant public sentiment in the UK.

Three people were injured in a knife attack at a London Underground station at the weekend.

But it was the words shouted at the suspect by a bystander that captured the nation’s attention.

Since then, “You ain’t no Muslim, bruv” has even inspired its own hashtag.

“Bruv” is street slang closely related to the use of the word “bro’” in the US.

Keywords trending on social media in the US after Trump’s statement included Hitler, shutdown and immigration.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-09

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I see, Trump must be wrong because someone in the UK used a hashtag on some phone footage. Interesting to see how the media is blowing up the "bruv" hashtag to monumental proportions. Meanwhile, according to the OP, "the Muslim community in the United States has reacted with shock and anger," as they do to just about everything in the world that doesn't cater to their demands.

Oh, I see. You think Trump is right. Apart from the moral implication you, like Trump, probably haven't thought about the practical side of the bizarre proposal. Image banned close to a billion people from the US.

For one thing, the US economy would be severly damaged. For another, it appears to be unconstitutional. Moreove, it would not prevent domestic terrorism, as there are already many Muslims in the US, who would be more likely to radicalize if the proposed ban were actually implemented.

Oh, I see, Trump must be wrong because someone in the UK used a hashtag on some phone footage. Interesting to see how the media is blowing up the "bruv" hashtag to monumental proportions. Meanwhile, according to the OP, "the Muslim community in the United States has reacted with shock and anger," as they do to just about everything in the world that doesn't cater to their demands.

Oh, I see. You think Trump is right. Apart from the moral implication you, like Trump, probably haven't thought about the practical side of the bizarre proposal. Image banned close to a billion people from the US.

For one thing, the US economy would be severly damaged. For another, it appears to be unconstitutional. Moreove, it would not prevent domestic terrorism, as there are already many Muslims in the US, who would be more likely to radicalize if the proposed ban were actually implemented.

True,Whoes the idiot who let them in.

The way I understood it, the bystander said what he did because the muslim attacker failed at his god-given task of killing the kaffirs.

...and you - in stark contrast to almost everyone else- could not be wrong of course!

I dont see to many people that would honestly agree they are a benefit to society now there is a risk of Isil he has a valid point.

You know muslims are people too, right?

Some of you should substitute the word 'Jews' for 'Muslims', and see if the way you're talking rings any bells.

It's not unconstitutional. In fact, Jimmy Carter did it in 1980.

The U.S. will also invalidate all visas issued for future arrival to Iranians, issuing new ones or renewing old ones only in unusual circumstances.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1980/4/8/carter-cuts-ties-with-iran-ppresident/

The president has it within his power to deny entry into the US for an entire class of people.

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182#

You have an uplifting spirit. I hope you find nothing darker to "ware" (oops, make that "wear") than black.

True,Whoes the idiot who let them in.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what's "unconstitutional" about denying anyone who isn't a citizen the right to enter the US?

You mean based on their religion?

I think this is called just racism, segregation...but obviously here with Trump, it is just a redneck argument, which Daesh applause too

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what's "unconstitutional" about denying anyone who isn't a citizen the right to enter the US?

I think this is called just racism, segregation...but obviously here with Trump, it is just a redneck argument, which Daesh applause too

"I think this is called just racism..." Please tell me what race a Muslim is? Racist, really?

"segregation..." We have segregation in the US. We put criminals in jail and don't allow the men to use the women's restroom. Besides, these people aren't in the US and aren't US citizens. They don't have any rights in the US.

"...but obviously here with Trump, it is just a redneck argument, which Daesh applause too." I wish the ignorant would stop insulting the rednecks who are some of my heroes. About 100 years ago they were the coal miners of W. Virginia who wore red bandannas to signify unity as they went on strike against the coal mine owners and their hired goons. Many of them were killed by the owners' goons. I would be proud to be called a redneck.

Class dismissed.

Edited by NeverSure

I think this is called just racism, segregation...but obviously here with Trump, it is just a redneck argument, which Daesh applause ]

When did Islam become a race...is it like Judaism now?

It isnt a race but comments on here are clearly based on race. When people say muslim they are in effect only talking about the bearded, dress wearing dark skinned type.

They can go to a bar tonight and be sitting next to a muslim and chatting away and wouldnt even know it. But they would never sit near or chat with a middle eastern.

So no need to dance around it, its pure and simple racism.

I stated it in another thread, but just to be clear, it is not unconstitutional to deny entry to anyone who is not a US citizen.

The constitution only applies to US citizens and those on US soil. Anyone else can be denied entry for any reason, or no reason whatsoever.

There would be huge problems with enforcing this, including defining what is a Muslim. There are branches of Islam that are not considered Islam by other branches of the religion. There are the Ahmadiyya and the Ba'hai, for example.

It isnt a race but comments on here are clearly based on race. When people say muslim they are in effect only talking about the bearded, dress wearing dark skinned type.

They can go to a bar tonight and be sitting next to a muslim and chatting away and wouldnt even know it. But they would never sit near or chat with a middle eastern.

It's not racism. It would deny Muslims including anyone believed to be working with ISIS in particular. That could be a white European Brit or Aussie. Is that what you don't like?

For instance, most Iranians would be covered by this but they aren't Arabs. They aren't your dark skinned stereotype but rather are Caucasian.

Are you going to start paying me tuition?

It's not racism. It would deny Muslims including anyone believed to be working with ISIS in particular. That could be a white European Brit or Aussie. Is that what you don't like?

For instance, most Iranians would be covered by this but they aren't Arabs. They aren't your dark skinned stereotype but rather are Caucasian.

Are you going to start paying me tuition?

agree...there are plenty of modern middle eastern Christians and there plenty of Muslims that are black or white....many converts in Europe.

A religion or ideology is not a race.......If I don't like Nazis or Communists I am not a racist, even most of the Nazis were Germans.

Trump is actually a symptom of the denial and recklessness of the regressive left, every action has an equal but opposite reaction, so to speak.

The cowardice and incompetence of our political leaders extends to Europe too, as can be seen by the meteoric rise of right wing anti-Muslim immigration parties.

While I do think Islamist Jihad of different brands (currently trendy is Daesh) is indeed at war with both the west and all civilization, the way Trump frames it with his ridiculous proposal it's as a war against all Islam and all Muslim people. That's exactly what Daesh is baiting for the west to do. Responses in this new world war, and it is that, need to be much more nuanced than that. Trump is basically now the head RECRUITER for Daesh. Shame on that fool!

Edited by Jingthing