Bike for Dad: Half a million to join the event

webfact

BIKE FOR DAD
Half a million to join the event

The Nation

30274611-06_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TOMORROW WILL see more than half a million cyclists in Thailand and 66 cities around the world joining the "Bike for Dad" celebration of the 88th birthday of His Majesty the King, the world's longest-reigning monarch.

Of the 607,909 registered participants, 99,999 are in Bangkok, 498,105 upcountry and 9,805 overseas, according to the event's website, which has drawn 3.9 million views.

HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn - who initiated this event to pay tribute, together with Thais, to his much beloved father - will lead the group covering the 29-kilometre Bangkok route.

Pol Maj-General Songpol Wattanachai, deputy National Police spokesman, said yesterday that the police force was ready to ensure the security of all attendees.

City clerk Peerapong Saichua said 103 schools along the capital's route would close for the day to support the activities.

They are in 13 districts - Dusit (nine schools), Pom Prab (Sattru Phai) (four), Ratchathewi (four), Pathumwan (eight), Samphantha-wong (three), Klong San (eight), Thon Buri (17), Bangkok Yai (six), Bangkok Noi (15), Bang Phlat (11), Phra Nakhon (11), Bang Rak (five) and Sathon (two).

Many companies have also given their employees the day off so that they can ride in the procession or watch from the sidelines.

Many provinces held dry runs ahead of the big day.

In Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district, Muthita Kaewjinda, 27, joined 200 two-wheel enthusiasts in the 16km-long rehearsal at Boong Ta Lua Water Park, even though her left leg was incapacitated by a childhood road accident.

"I want to be among the people expressing loyalty to our King, the Father of the Land," she said.

In Khon Kaen's Muang district, teachers and 30 physically challenged representatives from Sri Sangvalya Khon Kaen School practised with their wheelchairs in the morning.

This week, Khon Kaen University unveiled what it billed as the "world's first bicycle made of silk". The prototype will also be part of the "Bike for Dad" event in the northeastern province.

One of the project's researchers, textile and innovation expert Sutha Loyduanchai, said the silk used for the frame was light in weight but surprisingly strong. Even though the whole vehicle weighed only 10 kilograms, it could carry about 60-80kg.

Panomkorn Kwakhong, the other researcher and a chemical-engineering lecturer at the university, said this product had been patented and had caught the attention of two groups of investors.

One group wants to make 100 bicycles per day in Taiwan using Thai silk. The other plans to produce handmade bicycles that show off Thai silk patterns. It would require two days to complete one frame.

In the future they hope also to use silk to make the other bike components.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Half-a-million-to-join-the-event-30274611.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the other 69,500,000 Thai's and Students and Office workers and the like who don't own a bike and are most likely too poor with Household Debt having risen to huge levels compared to the Elitist in the last few years. Ride on to your Propaganda Event or face LM charges for not participating in the farce. WE Demand you Ride or else face the Iron Fist of the Law!

danielle, you won't be allowed to join for security reasons. you missed registration deadline. all participants has to wear personal passes, wristbands and uniformed tshirts.

you are allowed to watch bikers, if you fancy

Some genuine questions:

1. Are the cyclists doing this event for charity, i.e. sponsored for each kilometre they complete, similar to many marathons or 10km runs? If not, why not?

2. Who gets the proceeds from the merchandising? Does this go to charity?

3. HM the King's birthday was on Dec 5th, a Saturday. There was a Public Holiday on 7th Dec to celebrate. Why was the Bike for Dad event not held on either of these days when Dec 11th is a normal working day?

Hope this post does not contravene any forum rules, but I can find no answers to these questions anywhere else and I am interested to know the answers. Thank you.

as today, the 10th of december, is a constitution day holiday, so many have thouth, that tomorrow will be a public holiday as well and a long weekend to rest.

suddenly, the last tuesday the 8.12 the gabinet changed their earlier pledge and announced, that it will be a working day

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877042-bike-for-dad-wont-be-a-public-holiday-cabinet-rules/

I would think, that some bikers were counting on friday as a holiday and now won't be able to participate in it due to work

Edited by londonthai

danielle, you won't be allowed to join for security reasons. you missed registration deadline. all participants has to wear personal passes, wristbands and uniformed tshirts.

This is the case for Bangkok, where numbers are limited. In the provinces anyone can go, but those that registered get the free T shirt.

Of the 607,909 registered participants, 99,999 are in Bangkok

Sonofagun. Couldn't get that last one, huh?

Edit: I spent a few hours wandering around the starting line at Bike for Mom. It was a great time, even though I didn't ride. Thousands and thousands of people smiling, laughing, joking and enjoying themselves. Well organized, not much traffic delay getting into and out of the area (maybe 5 minute detour in the taxi).

Even if you don't ride, I highly suggest wandering down and enjoying the sights and sounds of thousands and thousands of our hosts (and a lot of visitors) having fun. Honestly, the atmosphere was electric.

Or, you can focus on the negative, and me, me, me, why am I always inconvenienced by these idiots??? Up to you. I know which way I'm going.

Edited by impulse

This is the case for Bangkok, where numbers are limited. In the provinces anyone can go, but those that registered get the free T shirt.

Ah, I wandered how they arrived at the magic total of 99,999 for Bangkok!

Of the 607,909 registered participants, 99,999 are in Bangkok

Sonofagun. Couldn't get that last one, huh?

Edit: I spent a few hours wandering around the starting line at Bike for Mom. It was a great time, even though I didn't ride. Thousands and thousands of people smiling, laughing, joking and enjoying themselves. Well organized, not much traffic delay getting into and out of the area (maybe 5 minute detour in the taxi).

Even if you don't ride, I highly suggest wandering down and enjoying the sights and sounds of thousands and thousands of our hosts (and a lot of visitors) having fun. Honestly, the atmosphere was electric.

Or, you can focus on the negative, and me, me, me, why am I always inconvenienced by these idiots??? Up to you. I know which way I'm going.

Oh, you are such a good man!

Well...given the fact, that they could have done it on 6th December (a Sunday), 7th (a public holiday for all), today (dito) or on any given Sunday...but no...better do it on a normal Friday, block many vital roads for up to 22 hours, and have delays all over!

I (yes: me, me and me!) for example am working in the heart of the disaster, near Silom!

Me and hundreds of others, who are not retired (like you, I guess) or are lucky enough to have a few days of paid leave left to use for this day, we actually have to work!

I hope you enjoy the "electrifying" atmosphere...

coffee1.gif

Well...given the fact, that they could have done it on 6th December (a Sunday), 7th (a public holiday for all), today (dito) or on any given Sunday...but no...better do it on a normal Friday, block many vital roads for up to 22 hours, and have delays all over!

I (yes: me, me and me!) for example am working in the heart of the disaster, near Silom!

Me and hundreds of others, who are not retired (like you, I guess) or are lucky enough to have a few days of paid leave left to use for this day, we actually have to work!

You don't figure they didn't choose those other days because the pivotal individuals had other duties and ceremonies to attend to on the weekend of the King's birthday and on public holidays?

I'm working tomorrow, too. I may be greatly inconvenienced- I'll find out tomorrow. But even so, I won't begrudge half a million folks the opportunity to have some fun, get some exercise, and express their devotion to their beloved King, because it's slightly inconvenient for me, me, me.

Feel free to be miserable, though. It's your right. But it's not an obligation- it's completely optional. I'm opting out. I'm selfish that way.

Edited by impulse

Firstly I must praise the ‘Bike for Dad’ scheme; a lot of people in my village have swapped their Honda Waves for pushbikes and good also to see the many schoolchildren taken part. I know some of my relatives bought bikes especially for the event. My village had the big ride on HM Kings Birthday, lots of bikes accompanied by Police outriders, a good sight to see.

But sadly the most obvious thing I noticed was that not one person had a crash helmet, not the cyclist or the Police outriders. Yet again another golden opportunity to promote safety - missed!

The lightweight pushbikes crash helmets are very cheap to produce and could have been given away with the T-shirts, and perhaps start to educate people to wear a crash helmet whatever type of bike they ride.

So the other 69,500,000 Thai's and Students and Office workers and the like who don't own a bike and are most likely too poor with Household Debt having risen to huge levels compared to the Elitist in the last few years. Ride on to your Propaganda Event or face LM charges for not participating in the farce. WE Demand you Ride or else face the Iron Fist of the Law!

So sad that you take this attitude. Whatever the politics behind this event, it is great to see so many people encouraged to ride their bicycles. Far better than sitting steaming inside your car, polluting the atmosphere and so on. I ride my bike everyday - as I said in another thread - about 500-600km a week. At the age of 67 the Bangkok Hospital, after many tests declared that I had the health and physical ability of the average 35 year old as I smashed all records on their stress test and other tests too. Off course you get the morons who try and discourage cycling pointing out that occasionally people get killed on bicycles. That ignores the thousands of deaths caused by cars and motorcys and the untold number of deaths resulting from sedentary lifestyles. Many poor people own bikes and many poor people will be on this ride. Good luck to them - I wish them well and hope this encourages more people to cycle on a regular basis.

Firstly I must praise the ‘Bike for Dad’ scheme; a lot of people in my village have swapped their Honda Waves for pushbikes and good also to see the many schoolchildren taken part. I know some of my relatives bought bikes especially for the event. My village had the big ride on HM Kings Birthday, lots of bikes accompanied by Police outriders, a good sight to see.

But sadly the most obvious thing I noticed was that not one person had a crash helmet, not the cyclist or the Police outriders. Yet again another golden opportunity to promote safety - missed!

The lightweight pushbikes crash helmets are very cheap to produce and could have been given away with the T-shirts, and perhaps start to educate people to wear a crash helmet whatever type of bike they ride.

Small steps. Small, but encouraging steps.

So sad that you take this attitude. Whatever the politics behind this event, it is great to see so many people encouraged to ride their bicycles. Far better than sitting steaming inside your car, polluting the atmosphere and so on. I ride my bike everyday - as I said in another thread - about 500-600km a week. At the age of 67 the Bangkok Hospital, after many tests declared that I had the health and physical ability of the average 35 year old as I smashed all records on their stress test and other tests too. Off course you get the morons who try and discourage cycling pointing out that occasionally people get killed on bicycles. That ignores the thousands of deaths caused by cars and motorcys and the untold number of deaths resulting from sedentary lifestyles. Many poor people own bikes and many poor people will be on this ride. Good luck to them - I wish them well and hope this encourages more people to cycle on a regular basis.

smashing all their records! Gee i look forward to reading about you in the Guinness Book of Records and like a 35 year old! well done !!! so modest too!!! wear that yellow jersey with pride!!! you ride 600 kilo a week? my hero!

You don't figure they didn't choose those other days because the pivotal individuals had other duties and ceremonies to attend to on the weekend of the King's birthday and on public holidays?

I'm working tomorrow, too. I may be greatly inconvenienced- I'll find out tomorrow. But even so, I won't begrudge half a million folks the opportunity to have some fun, get some exercise, and express their devotion to their beloved King, because it's slightly inconvenient for me, me, me.

Feel free to be miserable, though. It's your right. But it's not an obligation- it's completely optional. I'm opting out. I'm selfish that way.

As I said: such a good man and so thai'er than Thai!

I wish I could be more like you!

I just learned that there are many rides in BKK today. I thought it would be one huge group riding a parcours but it isn't.

Richard Barrow posted TWO routes today on his twitter ( https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV6N83hWEAAO0SZ.jpg ). It implies the map used on this thread in o/p is for dignitaries only??

post-21581-0-90145000-1449811136_thumb.j

Edited by Digitalbanana

Interesting how many members who are only able to plan their life a few days, and sometimes just hours ahead.

Naturally these arrangements will create countless of sessions with head doctors at a later stage, in order to regain the mental balance.

And of course, even though we don't participate, we like to slag it off.