Supreme Court orders seizure of Bt30 million worth of former Democrat MP's assets

webfact

Supreme Court orders seizure of Bt30 million worth of former Democrat MP's assets
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court has ordered the seizure of Bt30 million worth of assets of former Democrat MP from Kanchanaburi, Pracha Phopipit, on ground that he and six associates had unlawfully acquired it.

The Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday to uphold the lower courts’ decision to seize 872 cows and five cars with the total value of Bt30 million from Pracha and six associates.

The Anti-Money Laundering Office asked the Civil Court to seize the assets after Pracha, alias Kamnan Sia, was accused of using his influence to block other businesses from bidding for the government’s projects in Kanchanaburi, allowing him to win all the projects and earned benefits at the rates of 10 to 12 per cent of median prices.

Pracha appealed against the ruling of the Appeals Court in the assets case after the Appeals Court in the bidding collusion case acquitted him.

But the Supreme Court ruled that the AMLO can ask the Civil Court to seize the assets acquired through the alleged crime in regardless of the ruling by the Criminal and higher courts as long as the owner of the assets could not prove that the assets had been earned honestly.

The Supreme Court has yet to rule in the bidding collusion case.

Earlier, Pracha has been found guilty by the Criminal Court of encroaching on public land. The Appeals Court is scheduled to read its verdict on December 22.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Supreme-Court-orders-seizure-of-Bt30-million-worth-30274653.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-10

Court showing its bias by going after red shirt/PTP citizens only....oh wait wink.png

Where are these "The Undemocrats", "Bangkok Elites" posters hiding today? When there is a proofed corrupt PTP than we hear from double standards and the Democrats are much more corrupt. When it is against a Democrat than silence.......

More of this, please! Seize assets left and right, because anyone with eyes to see knows too well that ALL sides are equally corrupt. These people will only learn when they realize that they have to face the music in court and that their ill-gotten wealth will be impounded without mercy if found guilty.

And don't forget to also include "unusually rich" military and police officers, by the way!

Oh, and how about a hefty prison sentence on top of the assets seizure? Please don't tell me that "Kamnan Sia" is only going to lose his cows and cars and that this will be it...

More of this, please! Seize assets left and right, because anyone with eyes to see knows too well that ALL sides are equally corrupt. These people will only learn when they realize that they have to face the music in court and that their ill-gotten wealth will be impounded without mercy if found guilty.

And don't forget to also include "unusually rich" military and police officers, by the way!

Oh, and how about a hefty prison sentence on top of the assets seizure? Please don't tell me that "Kamnan Sia" is only going to lose his cows and cars and that this will be it...

I'll be surprised enough if he really and finally loose some cows....

Those in the power positions will probably get all the necessary documents to show that they all became USD Multi Millionaires legitimately.

The fact that the documents will be fake is neither here nor there, they will be recorded as factual and correct and that's all that matters, who is going to oppose them ?

When you own a country, you can do whatever you want in that country.

Edited by Broken Record

Civil asset forfeiture is a double edged sword.

It has gotten completely out of hand in the US.

It doesn't take a wild stretch of the imagination to see where the BIB could take this.

Edited by jaywalker

Court showing its bias by going after red shirt/PTP citizens only....oh wait wink.png

Where are these "The Undemocrats", "Bangkok Elites" posters hiding today? When there is a proofed corrupt PTP than we hear from double standards and the Democrats are much more corrupt. When it is against a Democrat than silence.......

"undemocrats" - Think again and be more honest.

"Bangkok elites" - You grab a perceived opportunity to twist the subject and try for political mileage. If you were more honest you would recognize that many anti shin / udd etc., contributors here have said many times that everybody who breaks the law should be prosecuted and the law should be applied equally and if found guilt punished appropriately, regardless of their color, political, class or any other alignments.

Your twist failed.

The word you are searching for is 'hypocrites'. A handful of posters here also deserve the prefix 'massive'.

I never really needed it much in life until I got to Thailand.

That video I posted above is just a year old.

I recently read an article that said civil asset forfeiture was up to $4.9 billion over the last 12 months, while total burglaries and robberies were valued at $3.5 billion.

WHO are the real crooks? Be careful what you ask for!

Once again, that's the US, but keep in mind what the BIB could do with this.

The courts decision has to be respected and one can be assured no one will burn effigies of the judges, throws sh*t at the court house or try to bomb it because they don't agree with the outcome.

One will not hear the usual "The courts are biased" or any other similar cop out to deviate blame away from the criminals.

Glad to see justice catch up with this lot and hope it happens more often.

In this case it is good that the AMLO have requested the asset seizure.

But, you really have to wonder about the integrity and competence of the court system in this country if their dealing with Phopipit a.k.a. Kamnan Sia is anything to go by.

This guy, his wife, and associates (just like so many others) get convicted in Lower Courts but are acquitted by Appeals Courts.

In 2005 he and his gang are convicted of extortion, confinement and bid-rigging by the Criminal Court, which sentences him to five years jail, while the others each receive four-year terms. They go to the Appeals Court and all are acquitted.

So, it seems we’ve now gone to the Supreme Court to appeal the Appeals Court decision.

As for the land encroachment charges, on 29 August 2014, the Criminal Court found him guilty and sentenced him to one year in prison.

Then, in March 2015, the Criminal Court also found him and his wife guilty of other related charges, and sentenced them to over 11 years jail.

Once again, they have taken their case to the Appeals Court which should have already read its verdict. But, he was able to get several postponements, citing that (owing to a car accident in August) he was 'not fit enough' to attend the court and hear the verdict.

That decision will now be made on 22 December (assuming his health improves)!

So, apart from rounding up a few head of cattle and some cars (one of which he probably wrecked in his car accident), I think we will be waiting until the cows come home before we see any real justice served on this guy and his gang.

post-209291-0-78420600-1449737177_thumb.

Wake me up when the Supreme Court seize the unexplained assets from the Generals.

Pray tell us about those unexplained assets from 'the' generals.

Or actually, better not, let's stick to the topic rather than distracting from it.

Wake me up when the Supreme Court seize the unexplained assets from the Generals.

Or actually, better not, let's stick to the topic rather than distracting from it.

In this intimidating times, think I will follow your advise. Just today someone got 112 for just indicating that. Those unexplained wealth will never see the light of day. That will delight you.

In this intimidating times, think I will follow your advise. Just today someone got 112 for just indicating that. Those unexplained wealth will never see the light of day. That will delight you.

You zigzag a bit, my dear Eric. Still unto unexplained, not described alleged 'things' ?

Anyway,

"The Supreme Court has ordered the seizure of Bt30 million worth of assets of former Democrat MP from Kanchanaburi, Pracha Phopipit, on ground that he and six associates had unlawfully acquired it."

872 cows seized but the reality is he's little more than a token sacrificial lamb thrown to the wolves ( not saying he doesn't deserve it). The greater test will come...has come...in the way they handle cases a bit closer to home. So far, FAIL, miserably

"undemocrats" - Think again and be more honest.

"Bangkok elites" - You grab a perceived opportunity to twist the subject and try for political mileage. If you were more honest you would recognize that many anti shin / udd etc., contributors here have said many times that everybody who breaks the law should be prosecuted and the law should be applied equally and if found guilt punished appropriately, regardless of their color, political, class or any other alignments.

Your twist failed.

Yes everyone laugh.png beside Thaksin, Yingluck or any other PTP.....Because every time someone PTP is at court I read: conspiration...only PTP and why not the Democrats..... but but Suthep is not at court.....

I full agree everyone no matter what should be punished if found guilty......but everytime they get a PTP member I read excuses and something about double standards.

This equally is from many seen thru the red glasses only.

(And I don't mean you, I can't remember any such postings from you, but there are some red members who never accept that their heros could do anything wrong).

So all they could find to seize where livestock and cars ?, these people did not

have any cash,property, I don't think so. so now the court has to be responsible

for the cows until they could be sold off, and at what price !

regards worgeordie

It appears this Democrat is a serial offender as he had his assets seized in 2004, Oh wait a minute it's the same case - good work by the anti corruption mob, only 11 years since the original "seizure"...................

The Nation (Thailand)
12-03-2004
URL: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

Former Democrat Party MP Pracha Phopipit yesterday lashed out at the Anti-Money
Laundering Office (AMLO) for seizing his assets just as the general elections
were drawing near.

AMLO on Wednesday searched Pracha's houses and seized Bt32 million in
assets on the grounds of bid-rigging and unusual wealth.

Pracha, who is standing trial on charges of bid-rigging, questioned
the timing and reason for the action, saying the court has yet to decide
his case.

"The Anti-Money Laundering Office should have followed procedure. Why
did the agency seize my assets when it is close to the elections? …

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-103093539.html

Edited by thelonius

I'm trying to figure out, just what kind of Thai government program he was bidding in/for that results in him receiving 872 cows???

I mean, lower interest car loans, sure I get that. Supposedly lower cost food stands at the markets, OK... But why exactly would the government be doling out cows to rich politicians?

I wonder what Ministry and department was responsible for that? Perhaps it was called the "Cows for Crooks" subsidy...

Kamnan Sia ordered to forfeit assets
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

30274672-01_big.jpg
Kamnan Sia

Possessions of influential former Democrat Kanchanaburi MP to be seized

BANGKOK: -- THE Supreme Court has ordered the permanent seizure of some of former Democrat MP Pracha Pothipipit's assets for abuse of authority that included extortion.

Pracha, widely known as Kamnan Sia, is a highly influential figure in Kanchanaburi.

The Supreme Court delivered the verdict against Pracha, 72, and six accomplices on Wednesday.

It ordered that assets worth about Bt30 million be turned over to the state.

The ruling was based on evidence that five vehicles and 872 cows or oxen belonging to the seven defendants were obtained through ill-gotten gain.

Their wrongdoing relates to a construction project of a Kanchanaburi-based state agency.

The defendants threatened other constructors, telling them not to bid for the project. In return, Pracha was offered a kickback equivalent to 10-12 per cent of the project's value.

During the civil proceedings, Pracha argued that the Appeals Court had acquitted him in a related criminal case.

But the Supreme Court said it was mandated to order that his ill-gotten gains be turned over to the state under anti-money-laundering laws regardless of whether or not he was convicted of criminal offences.

An informed source said the criminal case against Pracha had not yet ended and was pending at the Supreme Court.

The Criminal Court found Pracha guilty of bid collusion and sentenced him to five years in jail. He was then acquitted by the Appeals Court.

Now the plaintiffs have brought the case to the highest court.

Pracha is also facing another criminal case for allegedly encroaching on almost 1,200 rai (192 hectares) of state land in Kanchanaburi's Dan Makham Tia district and Ratchaburi's Suan Phung district between 1990 and 2004.

The Criminal Court found him guilty of land encroachment and sentenced him to one year in jail last year.

Pracha appealed and he was released on Bt100,000 bail.

The Court of Appeals is scheduled to read its verdict on December 22.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kamnan-Sia-ordered-to-forfeit-assets-30274672.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-11

That video I posted above is just a year old.

I recently read an article that said civil asset forfeiture was up to $4.9 billion over the last 12 months, while total burglaries and robberies were valued at $3.5 billion.

WHO are the real crooks? Be careful what you ask for!

Once again, that's the US, but keep in mind what the BIB could do with this.

Burglars and robbers are petty criminals committing petty crimes, in monetary terms. Asset seizures target MAJOR criminals