Volkswagen blames 'small group' of employees for 'dieselgate' scandal

webfact

Volkswagen blames 'small group' of employees for 'dieselgate' scandal

606x341_318693.jpg

"We still believe that only a small number of employees was actually actively involved in the manipulation"

WOLFSBURG: -- Volkswagen says a “chain of errors” led to the emissions cheating scandal rather than a one-off mistake, adding that it struggled with deadlines to meet strict conditions on limits in the US when it launched a diesel promotion campaign ten years ago.

The carmaker says it has agreed steps to improve the oversight of engine-software development.

Company executives told a news conference at VW’s headquarters in Wolfsburg that investigations were going well into the biggest crisis in the carmaker’s history.

“As serious as the current situation is, this company will not break because of it. Rather, we have a clear mission: we will create a new, better and stronger Volkswagen,” said Chief Executive Matthias Müller.

The company believes only a small group of employees was responsible for cheating US tests and that board members were not involved.

The chairman said it could take months to identify the individuals who were to blame. It’s suspended nine managers.

“I’m not saying that all of these people are under suspicion, what it means is that on their computers, SIM cards and or USB sticks, there might be information that could be important. We still believe that only a small number of employees was actually actively involved in the manipulation,” Hans Dieter Pötsch told the news conference.

VW launched internal and external investigations after admitting cheating US tests.

It’s planning to bring in a new corporate structure to be in place by early 2017, but doesn’t envisage selling off any units to fund costs linked to the scandal.

Far from experiencing a slump in sales, the carmaker says orders so far this year are up by 3.5 percent.

On Wednesday Volkswagen said separate investigations into irregularities concerning carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption had revealed that far fewer vehicles were affected than had previously been admitted.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-11

If the members of the board were not aware that this was going on they were not doing their jobs properly, or as Truman once said the buck stops here or what is more likely they were like the three brass monkeys, see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil

I has to call BS on this. It was organized at least from the top of the engine department and likely higher than that. Why would a small number of people lower down the food chain do this? what would they have to gain? It was likely directed from the top down, in my opinion.

that poor finger doing the pointing must be worn out by now.

The California air resources board is a group of eco frauds. They are the ones dreaming up these fraudulent regulations.

California’s Diesel Rule Scam

The state imposes a rule based on phony science on all U.S. truckers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-diesel-rule-scam-1445212223

The Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board (CARB) are riding high after exposing Volkswagen ’s emission scam. But the self-proclaimed guardians are running their own regulatory racket.

As a German myself, this is very embarrasing. Strong punishments must be given for these cheats.

I am not German but I think you should not be embarrassed. As far as I am concerned it

is a case of poorly thought out performance levels combined with poor testing protocols.

These were the test protocols, and a car was delivered that met the protocols. Unethical,

yes, but look at the bigger picture. I can guarantee you diesel pick-up trucks and large

heavy SUV's do not have to meet the levels of performance that cars have to meet.

Those vehicles will be built on truck/commercial frames and exempt from meeting the

requirements. (The same as the VW Tuareg, a truck level weight, so no incentive to make

the Tuareg lighter) Level the playing field. Most people driving big SUV's/trucks do not

need them for business and choose a big, roomy, heavy, tank of a vehicle that provides

a feeling of safety and comfort. But why should these vehicles get a pass on emission

and mileage requirements. Vehicles are tested with every possible " performance hack" to game

the system. Seams taped, vents taped, special overinflated tires, hood ornaments removed for

every aerodynamic advantage, air conditioning and even the alternator disconnected. Every

"hack" possible to game the system. VW's software solution is just the ultimate "hack" to game

the system. For me the solution is simple, all cars driven by the public should be tested

to the same standard, no "truck" exemptions. All vehicle tests should be carried out by

independent test centers in real world conditions and as the vehicle would normally be

operated. (ie. with air conditioning, radio, and seams un taped and standard wheels and rims)

Paid for by the manufactures. Most important, tough but reasonable standards to be required.

Not some pie in the sky environmental Nazi level requirement. Of course those that want to drive

a non conforming car like a Ferrari or Bugatti or SUV that does not met the performance

standard would be able to by paying an environmental tax. They pay a 200% tax here in

Thailand on cars not built here. Some high tax level, maybe 100% tax could be agreed on. Cars

can be made lighter with smaller engines. Many of he public just likes big-roomy-heavy-powerful

vehicles. Judge all passenger vehicles with the same rules and tax appropriately.

The United States - again; pathetic to cough about emissions by a country which did not even ratify the Kyoto protocol!

I believe it was yet another attempt to kick Europe; the US does not like challenges and Europe became very strong. So, apart from crowd-controlling all of a sudden the testosterone-loaded tsunami out of the Middle East and North Africa this attack against Volkswagen (the planet's biggest car maker consortium) came in handy. The attempt to bring the Euro down with fiddling around in Greece and Cyprus - to name just two - failed; the Germans rode out that wave too.

If you cannot stop the European train nor derail the weakest wagon then you attack the engine - in this case Germany.

And no, I am a non-EU citizen and not particularly fond of the Germans. Latter will chew heavily on this but Volkswagen will stay!

As a German myself, this is very embarrasing. Strong punishments must be given for these cheats.

I don't know what it is with the Germans that always feel guilty.....I assume you didn't do it, so not your fault. And most probably it was not your fault what happened in the second worldwar.

It is bad for the reputation of German technology but you aren't wrong for anything you didn't do, so you don't need to feel embarrassed. Have you been born a few km different you would be French, Polish or Austrian but still the same person, the only difference would eat better food.