another overstay

Whether you will banned from returning the country depends upon what you were put in jail for. Normally if is a banning type of offense they would of deported you.

UJ, am I reading you correctly that there are Banning and Non Banning offenses, even if you spend time in prison for the offense ??

Edited by MJCM

Whether you will banned from returning the country depends upon what you were put in jail for. Normally if is a banning type of offense they would of deported you.

UJ, am I reading you correctly that there are Banning and Non Banning offenses, even if you spend time in prison for the offense ??

Yes they are some. A misdemeanor would not result in a ban for example. A person can be fined for something minor and be jailed until it is paid or settled by getting a credit of 200 baht a day for time spent in detention.

Yes they are some. A misdemeanor would not result in a ban for example. A person can be fined for something minor and be jailed until it is paid or settled by getting a credit of 200 baht a day for time spent in detention.

just out of curiosity if you gained a credit of 200 baht a day, did they make you do any work for that?

No work for the 200b. But all have to work except for foreign inmates. Work pays about 30 baht a month. Weekends off.

I've been in a Thai jail, you think I care what the moaners on here think? :-)

I've heard this before. You know why foreign inmates don't have to work? Because under Thai law they would each require a work permit!

And let's face it, do you think Somchai can bothered sorting out the work permit paperwork for thousands of foreign inmates!

• Like 2

Isn't life strange when you think about it. Bundles of atoms somehow become self-replicating and evolve into sentient beings. They roam freely. One day they form 'governments' and divide up the world into patches, imposing limits on stay in certain areas and outlawing the consumption of certain plants. All this takes place on a rock hurtling through infinite nothingness, around a ball of fire that will one day blow up and engulf everything, only for it to start all over again.

Yes, it is a funny old world.

so you are out on bail waiting court, do you still have your passport ?

I assume you are not allowed to leave until court and after that your options may be limited if you are convicted, a nasty judge might decide to jail you for more time - who knows

I'm not out on bail. I've done 7 weeks on remand for a very small misdemeanor and the punishment is nowhere near that. The court don't have my passport cos I didn't give it to the police when I was arrested, just a photocopy. Its all very unorganized, no wonder real criminals manage to stay here.