Are You Sitting in God's Waiting Room?

fang37

I am 71 and have been retired for 6 years.

I have so many things that I do and have planned I just wish I had the time and money to do them all.

I don't have the time nor can I be bothered to find enough spare time to be bored.

I have enough books unread to keep me busy for an hour or so a day for the next 10 years thanks to Ebooks, I have film library to keep me going for the best part of a year.

I have enough jobs inside and outside the house to keep me busy for the next 3 months at least.

Fang: Set yourself some goals: books to read, concerts to attend and conversations to be had with simpatico people and you'll find your outlook on life improved. My first suggested book: Awakening by Sam Harris. Available on Amazon in the Kindle version for $11.99. It's important to learn how to banish thoughts that cause suffering. Try also eckharttolletv.com. He teaches great Buddhist principles without the religious baggage. The focus is on personal happiness. Good luck.

This life. Is there another to follow?

As someone famously quoted (surprised you haven't added this to your other post), "You don't worry about what you were before you were born, so why worry about what you'll be after death". IMO you'll just become a bunch of atoms floating in the cosmos. God is just father Christmas for adults.

OP can conduct practical research into unpowered flight from a Pattaya high rise

May I rephrase?

Can the OP conduct practical research into unpowered flight from a Pattaya high rise?

I usually don't read much of Fang.

Has he done a ripper 'Bar Girl did me wrong' style thread?

Some of us read his stuff over time and know his history..Please don't jump to conclusions...smile.png

"Please don't jump to conclusions ..." or from a Pattaya high rise.

For those individuals stuck on the lower rungs of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, some of the questions postulated by mr. fang37 must seem strange and unfathomable. For others they are thoughtful and intriguing questions.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi30s-3kdjJAhWEcI4KHcO2DSsQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsthepont.com%2F2014%2F05%2F14%2Fmaslows-hierarchy-of-needs-and-brecon-beacons-hillwalking%2F&psig=AFQjCNEjT9qzhbQC-yNSWNNYGd0yqyI82A&ust=1450071922262140

Quote: "are you sitting in God's waiting room".

I was at the funeral of a friend a couple of years ago and another guy whom I know, who is older than me, was helping me carry the coffin, and as we were walking along I commented on how sad it was that we had lost a friend, and he said something which stuck with me ever since, "at our age, we are all shuffling towards the front of the queue".

As for the original post, if the poster has achieved everything he has desired, then kick back and relax and enjoy the benefits of doing that, not having to be anywhere at a specific time, pleasing yourself what time you go to bed and when you get up, what movies you watch, how much time you spend on the Internet and so on.

Then take a brisk walk around the shopping malls and observe human behaviour, speak to a few nice girls in the shops, get a foot massage, plan to travel to other parts of Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam and so on.

The push to achieve everything that you have "desired" should now be replaced by the art of examining how to relax and enjoying it.

Yeah, I learned about Maslow when I took Psych 1. I don't think that there is anything beyond this life and, so far as I know, I don't fear death. I do fear suffering though, hence my interest in different ways to escape suffering. I had an uncle who was totally disabled by a stroke for 12 years before he died. He didn't seem to suffer though. He was a positive person and never complained about his disability. I don't know if I would be so strong. Many of my friends have had disabling strokes. I don't worry about it much though. Don't want to suffer.

Fang, i would travel.

Fairly common for people living in Thailand to become bored of life as there is not much of a social life here, culture or anything else for that matter.

Of course on Thai Visa, all speak fluent thai and have deep and meaningful conversations with their high-so non hooker gf's or wives, the reality is very different.

Just take a stroll into any food mall or restaurant and pay attention to foreigner/thai couple deep and meaningful conversations. You would be able to count the number of words exchanged on 1 hand.

Life in Thailand is "boring" with nothing much happening.

Many clearly can not see how complacent they have become.

I work 7 days and to me if there was no work, i would not know what to do. Even when i have a day off, i end up going to work.

So, travel and experience things, get your mind working again, see what excites you and what passions you may have seeing different things.