UK group funds roundabout at deadly Phuket spot

rooster59

I dont understand........ for me living here in town this area of Phuket is what I consider to be some of the least busy area and if this roundabout is planned where I think it is then the accidents happening there have to be of a very different reason than a dangerous intersection. But then again maybe its on another area of Surin- Narisorn road the roundabout will be constructed!

All fine, but who will teach them how to use it?

The authorities in Hatyai have installed cement block barriers to create small roundabouts at several troublesome intersections which do not have a traffic light. A sign has even been erected saying, "Give way to vehicles already in the circle," in Thai and English. On numerous occasions, I have sat on my bike in the circle and pointed at the sign; not once has a vehicle stopped.

There is only one roundabout on Samui, in Cheweng. It's on my Police friends patch. They report daily minor accidents.

It is in a built up area so fortunately the speeds involved are not normally high.

It is a double whammy as many of the short term Farangs on the island hire bikes and assume that the rules they are used to in their home countries will still work in Thailand.

There should be a separate training course for all first time Farang bike hirers on how to deal with Thai Driving.

Advanced Defensive Driving in Thailand - Junctions

Not sure which dangerousness intersection this is, because most intersections are dangerous.

However, I believe that doing something proactive is a good idea and the foundation should be congratulated.

As a minimum, it will slow down what is oftentimes recklessly fast speeds, as seen in chalong, where they have put up signs on how to use, but unfortunately it is to small for the amount of traffic going thru that circle, and some lanes are often blocked of, which cascades down into further problems like buses doing u turns a hundred meters past the roundabout, were u turns should quite simply be illegal

But, they need to be designed correctly and with a view to being used for the next decade.... And reading the OP it does suggest some degree of thought, so again, well done and let's hope it works

"The globe frame will comprise small octagonal shapes and there are meanings associated with it.
"Octagonal" suggests the unity involved in the project; the round shape represents an Andaman pearl, which is Phuket's nickname; while the overall look resembles the pattern of a turtle back, signifying longevity."

I wonder who designed the octagonal shapes with 5 sides? They used to be called pentagons.

I prefer roundabouts.

Waiting at a red light when no one is at the green is not my idea of intelligence.
Either smart lights, or roundabouts.

And don't think Thais don't know how to use them.
They know.
They just drive aggressively and no one punishes them for their cheating.

No where the hell is this one?

I prefer roundabouts.

Waiting at a red light when no one is at the green is not my idea of intelligence.

Either smart lights, or roundabouts.

And don't think Thais don't know how to use them.

They know.

They just drive aggressively and no one punishes them for their cheating.

No where the hell is this one?

They don't know.

Why is any UK foundation paying to help one of the most prominent tourist destinations in Asia and one where corruption is endemic. No foreign investment let alone donations should be coming in to corrupt Phuket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well you need to have contributed to the society to be heard here so maybe its something in that lane...eh roundabout .

I dont understand........ for me living here in town this area of Phuket is what I consider to be some of the least busy area and if this roundabout is planned where I think it is then the accidents happening there have to be of a very different reason than a dangerous intersection. But then again maybe its on another area of Surin- Narisorn road the roundabout will be constructed!

I dont want to pay tax in Thailand next year...my point this location (roundabout ) is where I had thought it had to be and next to the Phuket Public health office and not far the Governors Mansion and as said a very quiet location in town and we who live here do not really se it as town but outer side of town.

The intersection is very straightforwardly, easy overview and to get in an accident there you or the opponent motorist are either not respecting the traffic lights, speed as a moron, simply a coconut or have blood alcohol level at 5.

I can see for me what`s happened here the UK foundation want to do a good thing to make the traffic safer but have no saying in what and where and here suay of course decide more than practical and helpful.

Rant over.