POTY Rundown -VOTE CLOSED!

canuckamuck

Poster of the Year prelimnary rundown.  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POTY RUNOFF 2015 LEADER BOARD!

There is only ONE consequential change since the last time.

Lannebirth has now moved up into into a three way TIE ZONE!

Three ways are messy.

Please stop it!

Top 20 (plus including tie zoners) in bold.

NancyL 47 votes
Transam 35 votes
Uptheos 29 votes
Villagefarang 27 votes
MaejoMTB 27 votes
UlyssesG 24 votes
Patsycat 20 votes
Street Cowboy 20 votes
Crazy chef 17 votes
Soibiker 17 votes
Naam 16 votes
Fletchsmile 16 votes
PGraham 13 votes
Cypresshill 12 votes
Canuckamuck 11 votes
Meatboy 11 votes
Kittenkong 11
Jlcrab 10 votes
Cornishcarlos 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Paz 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Lannarebirth 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Now under the cut off ... but still plenty of time for some comebacks!
JAFO 8 votes
Puukao 8 votes
Publicus 8 votes
H90 8 votes
Morch 8 votes
Robertthebruce 7 votes
AlexRRR 7 votes
Canarysun 7 votes
Berkshire 6 votes
Pinkpanther69 6 votes
1Baddat 6 votes
Dennis123 5 votes
Balo 5 votes
Opalred 4 votes
Notmyself 4 votes

That's shaping up to be a pretty nice list. I think POTY rundown has pulled the most likely 20 from the list. I credit the multiple choice option. People were able vote for everyone they liked. So lots of favourites rising up on that list. Hopefully this will be remembered for next year.

It's the same technical limitation for all the candidates.

So .... not a problem.

Nothing to see here, folks.

But I attract a younger demographic than most here. Those crazy kids love using their smartphones.

This is an unfair bias. UNFAIR!

Tell them to log in with Google rather than use the app.

Problem solved.

That's shaping up to be a pretty nice list. I think POTY rundown has pulled the most likely 20 from the list. I credit the multiple choice option. People were able vote for everyone they liked. So lots of favourites rising up on that list. Hopefully this will be remembered for next year.

Yes.

I do agree.

It was a creative idea, an "experiment" perhaps, and it has worked out well.

Thank you again for doing that.clap2.gif

For next time, I would suggest these specific tweaks to make the process cleaner:

-- Open a nomination thread

-- Limit nominations to TWO MAXIMUM UNIQUE NAMES per member

-- Keep it open until a total of 38 UNIQUE members has been reached.

-- If a member makes the error of nominating a repetitive name or names, tough luck. However, if they realize that before closing of the nominations, they are free to suggest more UNIQUE names.

The REASON to limit the total to 38 instead of 40 for the TWO SECTION poll (capability total 40 choices) is to enable the option of a NULL VOTE in each section.

Voters on multi-section polls are REQUIRED to vote for at least one choice in each section. If a voter only chooses to support ONE candidate total out of the two sections, under the current design, they can't do that, and are perhaps forced to vote for just any name just to make their vote count at all.

SO, with a NULL VOTE option on each section, the choice of voting for only one total is offered.

Cheers.

(Of course, as is now "traditional" and also now mandated by management, moderators and banned members EXCLUDED from nomination eligibility.)

I would also suggest previous year winners show some humility and withdraw from future competitions. I have suggested that before as a rule but I have found that isn't popular, so I guess people really don't want that to be a rule.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes.

I do agree.

It was a creative idea, an "experiment" perhaps, and it has worked out well.

Thank you again for doing that.clap2.gif

For next time, I would suggest these specific tweaks to make the process cleaner:

-- Open a nomination thread

-- Limit nominations to TWO MAXIMUM UNIQUE NAMES per member

-- Keep it open until a total of 38 UNIQUE members has been reached.

-- If a member makes the error of nominating a repetitive name or names, tough luck. However, if they realize that before closing of the nominations, they are free to suggest more UNIQUE names.

The REASON to limit the total to 38 instead of 40 for the TWO SECTION poll (capability total 40 choices) is to enable the option of a NULL VOTE in each section.

Voters on multi-section polls are REQUIRED to vote for at least one choice in each section. If a voter only chooses to support ONE candidate total out of the two sections, under the current design, they can't do that, and are perhaps forced to vote for just any name just to make their vote count at all.

SO, with a NULL VOTE option on each section, the choice of voting for only one total is offered.

Cheers.

(Of course, as is now "traditional" and also now mandated by management, moderators and banned members EXCLUDED from nomination eligibility.)

I liked doing something different and unpredictable this year, so I think we should do the same next year.

I reckon it would be good to have two competing polls run by two different members

SC

EDIT: Will we have promotion and relegation next year?

You don't want multiple poll threads running. EVER! That's a really horrible idea on so many obvious levels, I won't even comment further.

As far as my suggested tweaks for next year's nominations and RUNOFF poll, they are only suggestions based on these issues being fresh in my mind now. The details fade over time, so that's a record if people want to look back at it.

Edited by Jingthing

Also, mobile users can just open thaivisa.com on a browser and vote that way.

For info I got an error message using the log in on the browser but it DID log me in.

On the iPhone version of the App, there are 3 dots in the upper right corner. Click that and you get a dropdown menu where you can select “Web View”. I think you might be able to vote there.

Also, mobile users can just open thaivisa.com on a browser and vote that way.

For info I got an error message using the log in on the browser but it DID log me in.

On the iPhone version of the App, there are 3 dots in the upper right corner. Click that and you get a dropdown menu where you can select “Web View”. I think you might be able to vote there.

Lol most TV members can't afford Iphones.

OK OK it's the cool season in Bangkok I'll need my coat soon enough....

It's the same technical limitation for all the candidates.

So .... not a problem.

Nothing to see here, folks.

But I attract a younger demographic than most here. Those crazy kids love using their smartphones.

This is an unfair bias. UNFAIR!

Hey, the majority of my supporters are still firm believers in logging onto your computer once a day to check email, look at that Facebook thingy to see what your Grandkids are up to and maybe looking at the ThaiVisa Chiang Mai forum to see if they've gotten into a new war about the best place in town for hamburgers or pizza. Either do it from their desktop computer or from the internet shop. No prob. voting for me from those computers!

Jingthing - I would like my name withdrawn from the list, for personal reasons.

Many thanks to those who voted for me.

OK.

Fine.

I'll see what I can do to get it removed before the deadline tonight.

However, if it's still on at the deadline, then you still won't advance to the top 20.

Cheers.

Uptheos, I'm sorry to see you go. I was looking forward to having so many Chiang Mai contestants in the final contest.

Folks -- I assure you "my ladies" haven't been doing anything yet to influence this contest. In fact, at today's Expats Ladies Lunch, the topic of this contest didn't even come up. I figured I didn't want to bring it up this early -- don't want to have voter fatigue.

We were too busy planning other events like where to go for Christmas eve and Christmas day dinner and then which fitness center to join in January.

I didn't nominate you as your name had been dropped already by the time I started reading the nomination thread.

I reckon you're a stand up bloke and have enjoyed reading your missives.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hey dudes.

The ACTION here is in the lower vote zones.

We've got TIES.

We've got some who can move into the MONEY ZONE (no money actually, sorry) with a handful of votes.

Come on ... let's have some DEADLINE SIZZLE!

At this point, the leaders are the leaders, they're in, but there is DRAMA here if you care to see it.

Edited by Jingthing

Being clinical, there is no need for tie breaking.

There doesn't need to be exactly 20 members in the final poll.

If 2 or 3 are tied for #20 spot, they don't make the cut.

Pragmatic, if not popular solution.

No, there will be 20.

It was already announced there would be 20 and that some kind of TIE BREAKING would be done if needed.

That's what's going to happen.

The time for debate about rules for this year's contest is OVER.

Edited by Jingthing

No, there will be 20.

It was already announced there would be 20 and that some kind of TIE BREAKING would be done if needed.

I'm going out to Puff on a cigar and smile before my pudding now.

Finally this contest is on its way....I raise a glass of cognac to all the candidates and say...

May the most devious win!

No, there will be 20.

JT, honey, I sent you a PM over two hours ago and you haven't responded. I'm hurt. I take back the part about liking so much that you are so very anal.