Non-sports/trail style bikes (not auto scoots) under 500cc (not used)

SooKee

Pretty much sure I know the answer but as far as I can see the only options under 500cc if looking for a more upright riding style (sports style does my neck, back and wrists in these days :( ) are the Chinese Linfan / Keeway cruiser style bikes. Must admit I do like the look of the Dorado, just not sure about the long term reliability and servicing / parts. As such, CB500X is about the closest I can get to what I want at the moment. Have I missed anything?

Hmm. Must have got locked in some kind of mind-set when searching over the last few weeks, likely as a result of getting stuck with a 250 mindset and being drawn to the Linfan / Keeway sites. Seems to be quite a few:

Benelli TNT 300

Kawasaki Z3

Yamaha MT-03

Honda CB 300F

Decisions, decisions. Benelli looks REALLY appealing, followed maybe by the Z3.

Edited by Pick of Penang

Kawaski KLX250

Kawaski D-Tracker 250 ( motard)

Honda CRF250

Honda CRF250M ( motard)

are a few more options to consider as being more trail/off road styled bikes.

Thanks but I'm not really after trail / motard style.

That Benelli looks great BUT it's quite pricey considering it's a Chinese bike. Same company as Keeway I think but without the massive savings of the Keeway 200s when compared to the Jap counterparts. The Honda appeals but I think the MT03 and Z3 appeal more.

It'll likely come down to the availability of dealers and service centres in and near to Chiang Mai I suppose. Not sure what the dealer networks are like there yet.

Royal Endfield 500cc is a lovely bike but not much power.

CB500X is likely your best choice for your needs.

I personally would stay as far away from Chinese bike as possible, yes they are perhaps cheap but how about re-sale value?

Honda & Kawa are the big sellers here for big bikes and cheap to run and quick to get spare parts (if needed) since they are made here and easy to sell again for a fair price.

You can buy a used CB500X and save some money, they will drop app 20% the first year no matter the km's.

Good points. Enfield is nice but pricey for what they are IMO. Figuring I MIGHT even go for a 300 for what I need and in that regard I really like the look of the MT-03 and the Kawasaki Z300 but at 40,000 or so more expensive than the CB300F???

I know Honda ranks number one in terms of popularity, dealerships and (non) service centres but where does Kawasaki sit compared to Yamaha? Where I've lived and toured around in LOS I've seen Honda places everywhere and in abundance, also Yamaha but in all honesty, never a Kawasaki place.

If I did go 500 the CBX would definitely be the one, especially if I could pick one up from a dealer (not that buying used from a dealer in LOS will provide the same peace of mind that buying from a dealer in the West should bring I guess) for 150/160,000.

Edited by Pick of Penang

Good points. Enfield is nice but pricey for what they are IMO. Figuring I MIGHT even go for a 300 for what I need and in that regard I really like the look of the MT-03 and the Kawasaki Z300 but at 40,000 or so more expensive than the CB300F???

I know Honda ranks number one in terms of popularity, dealerships and (non) service centres but where does Kawasaki sit compared to Yamaha? Where I've lived and toured around in LOS I've seen Honda places everywhere and in abundance, also Yamaha but in all honesty, never a Kawasaki place.

If I did go 500 the CBX would definitely be the one, especially if I could pick one up from a dealer (not that buying used from a dealer in LOS will provide the same peace of mind that buying from a dealer in the West should bring I guess) for 150/160,000.

Trust me, the Kawasaki or Yamaha are worth the extra money you will pay. Both of them are better built and much faster(around 40+HP compared to 27HP?) and you will actually have some fun on their revvy engines. The Honda is nothing more than a workhorse that you will soon grow bored of.

As far as dealers go, yes there are more Honda and Yamaha dealers around than Kawasaki but that's where the advantage ends. Most of those dealers have mechanics that have little or no experience when working on modern bigger bikes. Changing the oil on scooters is likely what they do most of the time. If you have serious engine problems or the like, then you will be simply hoping that they know what they are doing. I'm not saying they are all bad, but the bar standard is not set very high. (the CB500 series etc are exempt from this as you can take it to the more professional Honda Big Wing)

Kawasaki on the other hand are much more professional. All their mechanics work on big bikes all day long and I believe they have much more intensive training. The service at Kawasaki is usually excellent and you will feel much more assured leaving your bike with them. So if the town you live in has a Kawasaki main dealers then you should seriously consider the Z300 over the other two. (IMO it has the best build quality over the other two as well)

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

I think what macknife is saying is: Honda 300cc are sold at the Honda scooter dealers and Kawa300 are sold at Kawa's big bike dealer ships and he got a point there.

The big bike mechanics from both brands have some kind of training and are much more professional than the scooter dudes.

I have a mid sized Kawa myself and I find the service at Kawa big bike Pattaya quite good.

When I take one of the scooter for service, I know from bitter experiences that they only change the oil and that's that. If you want to change brake fluid they look at you like you are crazy and tells you that you will have to pay for the whole bottle despite they use less than 1/2 because 99% of all Thais will certainly not spend any money on such a thing; the brakes are fine, right??