Luxury problem: I was offered a job

I have been offered a job. Mind you, I am not looking for a job and have not decided if I will do it or not. The job would be 100% official (of course) and +/- 2-3 hours a day. The employer is Thai (friend I know for many years) who has 4 full time Thai employees and 1 part-time employee. What are my advantages if I accept this job. The money means nothing as I don't need a job (technically) and have always been here on long-term visas without any problem and don't mind flying back to the west once or twice a year.

Apart from the financial aspect, does the job in any way appeal to you?

Is it in a interesting field, would you enjoy applying your knowledge and skills, would you enjoy the interaction

with others that comes from this job, would it provide occassional escape from boredom, would you

have a sense of usefulness?

Do you want to entertain the idea, and keep the option open, of becoming a legal resident in Thailand any time in the future?

If "no" to all of the above, and the money is not needed at all, then.....no...there are no advantages for you.

based on your comments the job means nothing unless your bored and want to be busy or you like this bloke and want to help him out.

Just make sure you have a work permit if you do decide to go to work for him, once you ask him for that the job will disappear, to much hassle for a thai

• Like 1

based on your comments the job means nothing unless your bored and want to be busy or you like this bloke and want to help him out.

Just make sure you have a work permit if you do decide to go to work for him, once you ask him for that the job will disappear, to much hassle for a thai

as stated the WP is not an issue whatsoever. doing the job itself isn't an issue either but i really only want to consider it if the advantages are major. in all the years i have been around i have never checked the PROs of a job as i wasn't looking for a job and was never offered a job either. i'm still not looking for a job but if the job offers a substantial win-win i'm willing to consider. eg. let's say people officially working in ASEAN will also get an ASEAN visa (like a schengen visa) at some point, that would persuade me.

1. Apart from the financial aspect (a), does the job in any way appeal to you (B)?

2. Is it in a interesting field, would you enjoy applying your knowledge and skills, would you enjoy the interaction

with others that comes from this job, would it provide occassional escape from boredom, would you

3. have a sense of usefulness?

4. Do you want to entertain the idea, and keep the option open, of becoming a legal resident in Thailand any time in the future?

If "no" to all of the above, and the money is not needed at all, then.....no...there are no advantages for you.

1. (a) irrelevant (B) yes

2. totally

3. i guess i would have but i don't need that (ie. i don't have the urge to feel useful towards others)

4. i have always been legal here from day 1. i don't assign any extra value to alternate types of visas. i'm as happy on a TR as on a Non-Im-O.

I have considered this myself, under similar circumstances - in my case simply because I am under 50. If I could find a job with those hours, I would take it just for the visa - if the work was something I would not mind doing (much). Other benefits, possibly relevant to you are:

1. You can apply for Permanent Residence if employed continuously for 3 years. Be aware, however, that if you leave the country for 1 year or more, you loose your PR status.

2. You would obtain access to the Thai Health system. If something is time-critical, and you elect to use a private hospital, you can be compensated for what the cost would have been at a public hospital (based on what my GF said - others can correct me if this is wrong). I am not sure if there is some sort of "gap" insurance that would cover the difference; if Thai-medical is a benfit that is of consequence to you, perhaps others he can elaborate on those options.

3. Income - I know you said you are covered in that area, but if you had a bit more income, would it allow you to enhance your lifestyle a bit without negatively effecting your current investment / savings scheme? Maybe donate it to a charity?

• Like 1

Extensions can be based on employment, if wishing to apply for PR...you said not citizenship, can gain credit...i.e. but cars, on tick or apply for a mortgage, apparently WPs get you into some natonal parks at Thai rates.....in all quite a lot of advantages......if the job is something you will enjoy then go for it

You will also be paying social security so have access to Thai healthcare.

Edited by PattayaPhom

The only advantage I can see is if the job and work permit is enough to get you onto 12 month permission to stay extensions, this will eliminate the need for your trips home (or where ever) to get another visa.

That would require a monthly salary (I believe) of 50K baht per month for the 2-3 hours per day effort.