Thai Immigration to tap into Interpol database to fight crime

webfact

Immigration to tap into Interpol database to fight crime
Phuket Gazette

ip.jpeg
Interpol's database contains about 47 million cancelled and stolen passports. Photo: Jeremie Schatz

BANGKOK: -- Immigration police in Thailand are attempting to link their system with Interpol’s database of stolen and revoked passports as part of the crackdown on transnational criminals that saw a Russian wanted for human smuggling in his homeland arrested in Phuket.

“Interpol’s database contains about 47 million cancelled and stolen passports,” said Maj Gen Apichat Suriboonya, commander of the Foreign Affairs Division of the Royal Thai Police.

The failure of the Thai immigration system to connect with the Interpol database has allowed numerous foreigners to sneak into the country undetected.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Immigration-tap-Interpol-database-fight-crime/62614?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-14

The failure of the Thai immigration system to connect with the Interpol database has allowed numerous foreigners to sneak into the country undetected.

The failure is all Interpol's for not delivering 47 million x 2 copies to the immigration dept.

Yes hard copies please

Immigration must have 500 copies of my information, many duplicates, when I went to KK last week for reentry permit, and 9o day report they took six more copies, also on the computer

The powers that be request save the environment, the wast of trees paper and storage all a farce

We were asked for my wife to waste more paper confirming where I have lived for the last six years

Aow - they are just figuring this out now??? Amazing Thailand.

I wouldn't be too quick to criticise...

Secretary General Jürgen Stock has welcomed the decision by European Union ministers for all EU external border control points to be connected to INTERPOL’s global databases and for automatic screening of travel documents to be introduced by March 2016.

http://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News/2015/N2015-200

Edited by simple1

So...every time I had my passport over to them....what exactly does an immigration officer see on his screen when he lays it face down on a glass box thing on his desk ?

Criminal record ? wanted by interpol, wanted for not paying fines, on the run, terrorist ....Nope......Which might go a long way to explain why this country is full of brigands, bandits, rogues, ne'er-do-wells and all sorts of common riff raff.

I have what is called a Bio-metric passport. I went on WiKi to find out what this is and basically all it does on my passport is a face recognition of the photo I have in my passport. That is why they ask you to look at the camera.

It can be used for finger prints ( I have never given mine knowingly ?) and I guess DNA ? again I have never given knowingly to the UK passport office. So what is the point ?

My face matches the photo, if it was a fake passport the first thing they do is try and make sure that bit is correct - No ?

How long would it take for a Thai computer to trawl through the entire 47 million "known" passports... you could be standing in line for a long time !

If ever there was a chance for curtailing the movements of "bad guys" then surely the passport would be the thing. And that would be at the check-in counter for the flight, or the departing countries immigration. Surely it should Not be at the 3rd check at the country they are going to...

But no, the passport system fails miserably, they still get through.

So...every time I had my passport over to them....what exactly does an immigration officer see on his screen when he lays it face down on a glass box thing on his desk ?

Criminal record ? wanted by interpol, wanted for not paying fines, on the run, terrorist ....Nope......Which might go a long way to explain why this country is full of brigands, bandits, rogues, ne'er-do-wells and all sorts of common riff raff.

I have what is called a Bio-metric passport. I went on WiKi to find out what this is and basically all it does on my passport is a face recognition of the photo I have in my passport. That is why they ask you to look at the camera.

It can be used for finger prints ( I have never given mine knowingly ?) and I guess DNA ? again I have never given knowingly to the UK passport office. So what is the point ?

My face matches the photo, if it was a fake passport the first thing they do is try and make sure that bit is correct - No ?

How long would it take for a Thai computer to trawl through the entire 47 million "known" passports... you could be standing in line for a long time !

If ever there was a chance for curtailing the movements of "bad guys" then surely the passport would be the thing. And that would be at the check-in counter for the flight, or the departing countries immigration. Surely it should Not be at the 3rd check at the country they are going to...

Not only Thailand, a number of countries have the same issues. However, check out the projects that SITA is working on with implementing I-Checkit, that should address your concerns.

Yay. 1 step closer to globalism. Isn't it great?!

Yes, a step. Great or not so, thank muslim extremism. Terrorism is now a fact of life. Globally. And heaven forbid we should start - dare I say it - "profiling" <gasp>. So deal with it. As someone who's just had his pp stolen, if this helps catch the scumbucket and helps get him introduced to the joys of Thai "institutional living", I'm all for it.

They can do all the 'biometric faces and fingerprints' thing they like old sweetheart. Still doesn't beat baht in the pocket.

If the foreigners are sneaking into the country undetected, how is linking a computer system going to help?

What will they do with thousands of foreign criminals not being able to enter, hide, and party here for years at a time? There needs to be road checkpoints to also check for valid visas . They could catch hundreds daily . Time to build more prisons to hold all the foreign criminals hiding here. I won,t mention the cities where these scum are located. I might hurt someones feelingsgiggle.gif

What will they do with thousands of foreign criminals not being able to enter, hide, and party here for years at a time? There needs to be road checkpoints to also check for valid visas . They could catch hundreds daily . Time to build more prisons to hold all the foreign criminals hiding here. I won,t mention the cities where these scum are located. I might hurt someones feelingsgiggle.gif

Dream on,checkpoints in-or out of f.ex Pattaya on the Sukhumvit will lead to gridlock.In many cases police knows where the riff raff are located and every now and then they arrest them........more easy.