Setting an example - Aun San Suu Kyi

dcsw53

I read that this lady took part in a photo opportunity collecting rubbish and fly tippers waste from a part of her constituency yesterday.

Wouldn't it be nice if some of our public figures did the same and declared a war on something that blights our country. Seeing the amount of waste dumped down side roads and down almost every country road, there should be a huge untapped income stream for the government from fines.

Finding the culprits should be relatively easy. Offer substantial rewards to whistle blowers on conviction, every village would then have a vested interest. This would work as long as the money found its way to the informer from a central source, this would mean keeping the police well out of it.

It would improve the quality of ex-patriot life as well. We would not have to listen to the constant complaints from holiday makers who have had their scenic views spoiled, or their noses assaulted by the bouquet of something rotting.

Nope, your suggestion would mean 'diddly squat', the reason being that you are appealing to the wrong demographic.

Thailand's woes won't disappear overnight, it will come through generational change and from those much younger then us.

Plant the seeds of cultural change though Social Media, the children have 'pester power', the Uni grads have the power of protest.

Thailand has an amazing future, IMHO, it just needs a gentle nudge from the West ... not interference, (we don't want to break the 'spirit of Thailand' (think of Singapore to see what not to do), just some subtle guidance).

I do, however, agree with your intent, just not your action plan. wai.gif

Nope, your suggestion would mean 'diddly squat', the reason being that you are appealing to the wrong demographic.

Thailand's woes won't disappear overnight, it will come through generational change and from those much younger then us.

Plant the seeds of cultural change though Social Media, the children have 'pester power', the Uni grads have the power of protest.

Thailand has an amazing future, IMHO, it just needs a gentle nudge from the West ... not interference, (we don't want to break the 'spirit of Thailand' (think of Singapore to see what not to do), just some subtle guidance).

id say copy Singapore

id say copy Singapore

A bit of Singapore would go a long way.

Don't want to break the spirit? Gentle nudge? Subtle guidance? Do you seriously believe the 'West' has any influence or ability to break or control or give a nudge to Thailand?

It is this type of naive colonialism, out of touch thinking that examples why so many expats will never understand Thailand or be happy here.

Don't want to break the spirit? Gentle nudge? Subtle guidance? Do you seriously believe the 'West' has any influence or ability to break or control or give a nudge to Thailand?

It is this type of naive colonialism, out of touch thinking that examples why so many expats will never understand Thailand or be happy here.

Hmm...as far as understanding Thailand is concerned.....on occasional glance at this forum's Thai News section will do the trick for many. Would you not think ?

Pokey, you have taken my post all wrong, or maybe a little to old to understand the power of social media.

I'm talking about change which comes from within, but that change is often inspired by influences from without (external).

Take, for example the Thai's adoption of Christmas.

In a country which is 90+% Buddhist, they have adopted part of Christmas. Mostly the commercial part (sadly), but they have 'thai-ified it'.

Took the bits they wanted to.

The TESCO Staff where I live all have Santa Hats on, the Christmas Carols are being played, my niece today came home singing a Christmas song, very poorly I might add, that she learnt in School today.

That change I've witnessed this past decade, imagine what an inter-generational change might proffer?

I'm not, for a moment saying that Christmas is everywhere in Thailand, but the celebration is growing, from my observations year on year, pushed from both without, the commercial retailers, and within, partly the school system.

Cultural change, when it happens, will come from within, influenced from without, from external sources.

Another example, 'Bike for Dad', a charity/processional ride. The West has been doing this for decades.

Do you think it was an original Thai Idea?

They just 'thai-ified it', embraced it whole-heartedly and had a good turnout in, what I understand was their inaugural year.

Here's a stand out example of Western influence. Compare Hollywood to India's version, Bollywood.

You may disagree with the examples used above, up to you, but they are just a sampling of many ways the West has influenced Thailand.

BTW, I don't profess to understand Thailand, but I am, on balance, happy here.

Cheers

Luke

Pokey, you have taken my post all wrong, or maybe a little to old to understand the power of social media.

I'm talking about change which comes from within, but that change is often inspired by influences from without (external).

Take, for example the Thai's adoption of Christmas.

In a country which is 90+% Buddhist, they have adopted part of Christmas. Mostly the commercial part (sadly), but they have 'thai-ified it'.

Took the bits they wanted to.

The TESCO Staff where I live all have Santa Hats on, the Christmas Carols are being played, my niece today came home singing a Christmas song, very poorly I might add, that she learnt in School today.

That change I've witnessed this past decade, imagine what an inter-generational change might proffer?

I'm not, for a moment saying that Christmas is everywhere in Thailand, but the celebration is growing, from my observations year on year, pushed from both without, the commercial retailers, and within, partly the school system.

Cultural change, when it happens, will come from within, influenced from without, from external sources.

Another example, 'Bike for Dad', a charity/processional ride. The West has been doing this for decades.

Do you think it was an original Thai Idea?

They just 'thai-ified it', embraced it whole-heartedly and had a good turnout in, what I understand was their inaugural year.

Here's a stand out example of Western influence. Compare Hollywood to India's version, Bollywood.

You may disagree with the examples used above, up to you, but they are just a sampling of many ways the West has influenced Thailand.

BTW, I don't profess to understand Thailand, but I am, on balance, happy here.

Cheers

Luke

Dude, my forum name is ‘pockys’ not ‘pokey’, okay? Did I call you Stupdluke? Show some basic respect and quit with the infantile games.

I took your post as it was written. Patronising colonialism, expressing an ingrained point of view

It was the ‘expat knows best with a nod and a wink and a smirky grin’ opinion.

Now you feebly attempt to rewrite your initial statement with some weak arguments about social media and popular experience trends.

We are in a global social and economic community which you seem to have only just discovered, but about 5 billion other people have been well advanced in using daily for many years

OP "Wouldn't it be nice if some of our public figures did the same and declared a war on something that blights our country"

Aung San Suu Kyi the darling of liberal crusaders, threw away her deeply held commitment to human rights in order to apologise for the violence and racism of Myanmar's Buddhist chauvinists. In advance of the recent election she was concerned, above all, with her own popularity and that of the NLD, speaking out for the Rohinya's wouldn't have been a popular move so she stayed and still stays silent.

So when boat loads are turned away from the shores of various countries, ask yourself what in fact is this wonderful woman doing to help them in her/their own country?

Wouldn't it be nice if she declared war on something that blights her country more than waste and fly tippers?

Archived