Beach Road Traffic Jam.

NoshowJones

I was in Pattaya last week, travelling up Beach Road in a Tuk Tuk. Between Mikes Mall and Walking Street, though nearer Walking Street, there was a long traffic jam.

I thought at first it was maybe the buses with Chinese people, but no, there were about six vendors blocking off the nearside lane, they were the only obstruction

on that lane causing the traffic jam, brown envelopes would spring to mind. Being in Thailand about ten years now I should not have been surprised, but I was.

Just had to mention this.

Edited by possum1931

brown envelopes would spring to mind.

If one-tenth the amount of pay-offs imagined by farang actually took place, the value of such transactions in Pattaya alone would exceed the GNP of many countries and put the Costa Nostra and Mafia to shame.

We have traffic jams in Pattaya. Vendors sell things in Pattaya. The police regularly ticket, tow or wheel-clamp vehicles that are illegally parked along Pattaya Tai and elsewhere. They chase vendors from time to time in various places. Almost every morning when I walk along Beach Rd some policeman is chasing vendors blocking the walkways or swamping people coming off buses. It's the high season and local people are trying to earn some money. Do you really think some vendor is pulling in that much money that he's spreading it around like Diamond Jim or that the most police think they found a gold mine in allowing vendors to sell flipflops or cha yen in select locations.

They can be a nuisance, but I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make a little money. It's a part of life in urban and resort areas in Thailand. If Khun Farang is delayed on his very important journey, hire a motorcy taxi. They negotiate traffic & vendors quite well.

Edited by Suradit69

Anyone who wants to see a traffic jam can just go to the corner of Walking Street and Beach Road any evening. There they will find a load of Bahtbuses parked right on the corner, blocking most of the road and causing a huge tail-back.

One policeman could shift this jam in about 10 seconds flat, entirely on his own. But is there one there? The @#$! there is.

I would be more surprised if you were traveling in a tuk tuk on beach road?????

I was.

Really? you have a picture? dont think i have ever seen a tuk tuk on beach road only the odd promotional one around town.

I'm sorry mate, not living in Pattaya, I just got mixed up between a Tuk Tuk and Baht Bus.

Can you travel "up" Beach Road ?

Subtle question tongue.png

But as the poster wrote Mike to WS it seem his Baht bus didn't go the wrong way.

Q to grammar police: what is the definition of "going up the road" and "going down the road"?

(I am not a native speaker)

Q to the OP: what time did you ride the Baht bus?

As an occasional visitor I would be surprised if there is NO jam between Mike and WS in the evening.

It would mean a deep deep crisis for funtown biggrin.png

I often hop off the bus as walking is faster.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can you travel "up" Beach Road ?

Subtle question tongue.png

But as the poster wrote Mike to WS it seem his Baht bus didn't go the wrong way.

Q to grammar police: what is the definition of "going up the road" and "going down the road"?

(I am not a native speaker)

Q to the OP: what time did you ride the Baht bus?

As an occasional visitor I would be surprised if there is NO jam between Mike and WS in the evening.

It would mean a deep deep crisis for funtown biggrin.png

I often hop off the bus as walking is faster.

It was about 13.00hrs last Friday 11th Dec.