Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

I am not sure if this has been tackled yet*, but the map and info provided by this organization, while very accurate at first glance, might not be: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/nan/municipality-office/. I am referring to the daily ratings one reads for a specific area and can be seen on the map, at a glance. If one refers to the rating of Mae Sai, one should be able to jog all day. However, if one looks very carefully, the rating (43) is actually based on PM10 which is 13 to 61 today. Chiang Mai has a 151 rating today and the PM10 rating is 61 to 93. The PM2.5 varied from 137 to 165.

For many years, I looked at these maps and was lulled into believing that all ratings were standardized. It does not seem to be so and I think this is a problem that needs to be acknowledged and fixed, as communities (especially of people whose working of the languages offered on the site is nonexistent) could misinterpret the ratings. They could advise their children to run a marathon when it would be unsafe to do so.

5698638585266176.png.330156ba3edc0a194e73cb5825d583a6.png6370952700231680.png.ea7d3a30b4a4082a0c1c530096c9bd60.png

* I cannot possibly read 850 posts.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Like 2

You are absolutely right. This was discussed in this thread some time ago and there was a story in the news section about it. To recap, the reporting of air quality is misleading for two reasons: first the dangerous PM 2.5 is omitted as you point out and second the Thai government inexplicably changed the air quality scale such that air twice as bad as air that would not pass international standards is classified as good. There has been no explanation from the government for either of these discrepancies.

A of now the air quality has dropped into the orange range.

aq4.jpg

• Like 1

I'm back in Pattaya, nice to feel the sea breeze again after 6 months in Chiang Mai ,  

For the last few weeks I could really feel my body was suffering  more because of the air quality .   

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, balo said:

I'm back in Pattaya, nice to feel the sea breeze again after 6 months in Chiang Mai ,  

For the last few weeks I could really feel my body was suffering  more because of the air quality .   

Good for you, balo. Good luck! - I'd also like to feel the 'sea breeze again'.

I'm a bit envious.

Report Phrae (220 km SouthEast ChiangMai) today: grey till the horizon, 360 degrees;

PM10 only 70, no idea about PM2.5.

But sorry, in the meantime I don't believe in these numbers anymore. For example, canopy's screenshot

from Monday, 6.13 pm shows PM10 levels for Lampang (4 places) with 119. No chance.

Some weeks ago I noticed for the Lampang area 142, also four measuring stations.

So what?

27 minutes ago, balo said:

@ islandee

Thanks for your post, really appreciated.

I'm Upnorth (Phrae Province) and I think we had a very lucky year 2017 concerning smoke, smog and dust.

You're absolutely right, Myanmar is a big contributor to all this, but we shouldn't forget

our friends in China, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Indonesia.

Depending on the climate/wind some one 'will win the smog-pot'.

But may be, one day our friends from the NCPO will succeed?

Allow another question:

Where does all this smoke, smog and dust travel to one day?

(Thanks, I'm not interested in Windfinder & Co.)

Will it fill up our atmosphere?

Will it travel to the moon?

I'm sure, not everything will be washed out by the rain.

9 hours ago, wolfmuc said:

I'm Upnorth (Phrae Province) and I think we had a very lucky year 2017 concerning smoke, smog and dust.

The comment seems strange because presumably Phrae, like others, has had sub-standard almost every day for the last 6 months,

30 Apr 2017

Again, Chiang Mai had a light, steady rain through much of last night and this morn; but unlike yesterday, Doi Suthep is now visible, albeit, through a haze.

wolfmuc: Our neighbors, China, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia: there, as here, I'm confident that commercial interests --- as well as longstanding tradition --- will prevail and the fires will continue unimpeded throughout the region; in fact, I see no reason why they won't increase.

Where does the smoke go? Looking back at Pinotubo: the sun turned green where I was. There was a measurable drop in temperature worldwide. That was 26 years ago and the sun has returned to its normal color; temperatures are on the rise. The atmosphere seems to have cleared. I assumed that the sometimes slow circulation amongst the various atmospheric layers eventually brought down those particles, initially driven into the greatest heights of the atmosphere, so that they could be brought down to earth by rain. I had thought that the same mechanism would apply to clearing the much lower intensity pollution from local fires.

But your comment 'not everything will be washed out by the rain' deserves some research. I was surprised to find this: Science Daily, 14 Mar 2000: 'Air Pollution Can Prevent Rainfall':

. . . [The author] presents satellite images and measurements of "pollution tracks" downstream from major urban areas and air pollution sources such as power plants, lead smelters, and oil refineries. The tracks consist of polluted clouds that have shut off virtually all precipitation because they contain abnormally small water droplets.

The article seems to leave the polluted clouds in limbo: there is no ending to the story. 

In any case, your point seems well taken.

I don't know the range of particle sizes generated by rice field burning, so the Science Daily article may not apply. However, on the assumption that it does apply: such burning has been going on for years, at least from the 1890s per McCarthy's observations, and probably much farther back ---possibly before written records began in this area; I do find an article that implies a start date for major field burning in Burma: 'Origins of the Burma Rice Boom, 1850-1880'. But I'm not aware of any source that can identify a weather pattern change occurring more than a hundred years ago. More recently, perhaps Cyclone Nargis' 2008 interruption to Myanmar burning rice fields might show something; but the burning would have been ongoing during the months immediately preceding the cyclone strike in May. I believe that there was also a major interruption to Burma's rice field burning during the Japanese occupation of the colony and the immediate aftermath, 1941-1946(?).

Looks like a topic ripe for research.

Edited by islandee
  • Like 1

LburtonL:

That's a challenging bike ride, push bike I assume. I apologize, but I'm not qualified to answer your question: I don't know anything about the demands of such a feat; I don't trust short term weather forecasting (including those about air pollution levels); I'm not familiar with  road conditions between Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai (107 north from Chiang Mai is pretty good except for congestion in the Mae Rim bottleneck). 

I find it interesting that agricultural burning was present that long ago. There are several points to consider when comparing burning now to Thailand to 150 years ago. I can't find exact figures, but perhaps the population was 1% of what it is now. That alone could mean 99% less burning, 99% better air. Second, in organic farming it was common not to burn fields but to reuse what was left after harvest so in many cases farmers were not burning. Also at that time they didn't douse everything with chemicals and poisons like now so less contaminants went airborne. Another point is forest burning is rampant and a factor in air quality. With a much smaller population presumably it was also much less back then compared to now.

To the gentleman who wants to go biking in the north, perhaps keep your eye on the air quality map. The rains are not yet broad enough and consistent enough to knock all the smoke out of the air and prevent new fires from being started. Some areas today are enjoying good air (green zone), and a lot aren't (yellow/orange zone).

aq5.png

LburtonL:

That's a challenging bike ride, push bike I assume. I apologize, but I'm not qualified to answer your question: I don't know anything about the demands of such a feat; I don't trust short term weather forecasting (including those about air pollution levels); I'm not familiar with  road conditions between Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai (107 north from Chiang Mai is pretty good except for congestion in the Mae Rim bottleneck). 

my question was directed towards haze/pollution conditions......
I have been up there many times, i'm a big bike rider but never at that time of the year

I find it interesting that agricultural burning was present that long ago. There are several points to consider when comparing burning now to Thailand to 150 years ago. I can't find exact figures, but perhaps the population was 1% of what it is now. That alone could mean 99% less burning, 99% better air. Second, in organic farming it was common not to burn fields but to reuse what was left after harvest so in many cases farmers were not burning. Also at that time they didn't douse everything with chemicals and poisons like now so less contaminants went airborne. Another point is forest burning is rampant and a factor in air quality. With a much smaller population presumably it was also much less back then compared to now.

To the gentleman who wants to go biking in the north, perhaps keep your eye on the air quality map. The rains are not yet broad enough and consistent enough to knock all the smoke out of the air and prevent new fires from being started. Some areas today are enjoying good air (green zone), and a lot aren't (yellow/orange zone).

aq5.png.5d0f78dd70ee1e6bfc53f6a39fb37a04.png

Thank you :)

On 30/4/2560 at 7:14 AM, canopy said:

The comment seems strange because presumably Phrae, like others, has had sub-standard almost every day for the last 6 months,

A bit strange, you're right. And indeed, we had grey skies and bad air many days over the last months.

But in my opinion, comparing 2017 with 2015/16 it is much better this year.

Besides, as we're living 25 km north of Phrae we are experiencing quite often completely different

weather situations than people in the city.

Concerning the measuring stations I only wanted to communicate that I don't believe in these numbers too much.

This year there have been some days (in Phrae) where it was really hard to breathe but the numbers were green.

Also in Phrae, March 13(?) 2017 the PM10 value climbed to about 250 and within some hours changed to green

and then to orange then to yellow (screenshot 2). But the skies were grey-brown as before ...

I may add a screenshot, Lampang March 23rd. One station showed PM10 427, the other three stations 200 ...

2017-03-23  Lampang427.PNG

wp_ss_20170314_0010.png

2 May and the PM 2.5 levels are still high.  This will make 88 days since 16 January when PM 2.5 levels have been in an unhealthy range.  The highest numbers may be lower than in the past but the number of days of unhealthy air are increasing.  It used to be by early April you could start to breathe again.  Not anymore. 

People seriously need to consider whether CM is an area you want to live long term.  The health risks of elevated PM 2.5 levels is serious and air pollution is one of the leading causes of death in the world.  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/30/air-pollution-health-effects.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20160330Z3&et_cid=DM101629&et_rid=1420739090

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyznd said:

2 May and the PM 2.5 levels are still high.  This will make 88 days since 16 January when PM 2.5 levels have been in an unhealthy range.  The highest numbers may be lower than in the past but the number of days of unhealthy air are increasing.  It used to be by early April you could start to breathe again.  Not anymore. 

People seriously need to consider whether CM is an area you want to live long term.  The health risks of elevated PM 2.5 levels is serious and air pollution is one of the leading causes of death in the world.  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/30/air-pollution-health-effects.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20160330Z3&et_cid=DM101629&et_rid=1420739090

I was planning to stay in CM for awhile with the plan of moving there from abroad if I liked it - and all I read made me feel I would.

Now I see it as a place to perhaps stay 6 months as some others are doing, and going elsewhere in Thailand or another country for the other 6.

But if the other 6 are at some place I find I'm happy living, CM will probably be gone for me - much less hassle and less expensive settling in at one location rather than moving out every 6 months.

Edited by JimmyJ

12 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Haven't they been doing Slash n Burn agriculture from the Stone Age?

Yes but the present day slash and burn takes place on industrial scale with multiple crops and more agricultural land area than ever. 

On 5/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Yes but the present day slash and burn takes place on industrial scale with multiple crops and more agricultural land area than ever. 

Yeah, well, and with fifteen million times as many people. :saai:

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are on 21 May and PM 2.5 is back to unhealthy levels. 

I started tracking PM 2.5 levels back on 16 January and to date there have been 93 days  and nearly 2100 hours where the PM 2.5 levels are above what the WHO recommends as safe.  This stuff is so dangerous to your health and it lasts so long, I've now come to the conclusion the only remedy is to move out of the area and head south, to Hua Hin or somewhere in that area. 

Trying to stick it out is like playing Russian roulette with your health but in this case you may up with a slow death rather than a fast one.

45 minutes ago, tyznd said:

Here we are on 21 May and PM 2.5 is back to unhealthy levels. 

I started tracking PM 2.5 levels back on 16 January and to date there have been 93 days  and nearly 2100 hours where the PM 2.5 levels are above what the WHO recommends as safe.  This stuff is so dangerous to your health and it lasts so long, I've now come to the conclusion the only remedy is to move out of the area and head south, to Hua Hin or somewhere in that area. 

Trying to stick it out is like playing Russian roulette with your health but in this case you may up with a slow death rather than a fast one.

I appreciate the realistic assessment but very discouraging and disappointing.

Will this be true of other northern areas as well such as Loei, Pai, etc.?

Those are 2 other cities I was interested in.

Edited by JimmyJ