1 YEAR EXTENSION OF STAY, clarification

HI

I'M NEW TO THE FORUM.

I'VE AN ITALIAN PASSPORT, I'M 53 YEARS OLD.

I NEED TO CLARIFY A POINT ABOUT THE “1 YEAR EXTENSION OF STAY”, COMMONLY CALLED “RETIREMENT VISA”.

THIS IS WHAT I UNDERSTOOD ABOUT THE RULES:

THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO OBTAIN IT:

-THROUGH A BANK TRANSFER FROM ABROAD OF AT LEAST 800.000 BHT INTO A THAI BANK.

-THROUGH A LETTER FROM AN ITALIAN BANK, NOTARIZED BY THE ITALIAN EMBASSY, SHOWING..................WHAT EXACTLY?

I FOUND CONFLICTING REPORTS AS TO WHAT THE THAI LAWS REQUIRE.

WOULD YOU PLEASE BE SO KIND TO CLARIFY WHAT THE LAW SAYS?

SOME PERSONS ON RECEIPT OF “1 YEAR EXTENSION OF STAY” TOLD ME THAT I NEED TO PROVE THAT IN ITALY I EITHER HAVE AN INCOME OF AT LEAST 65.000 BHT MONTHLY, OR IN MY ITALIAN BANK I HAVE A TOTAL OF AT LEAST 800.000 BHT.

I SPOKE TO THE ITALIAN EMBASSY AND OTHER CONSULAR SERVICES AROUND THAILAND, THEY ALL TOLD ME THE SAME, WHICH IT'S DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THESE PERSONS.
ACCORDING TO THE EMBASSIES, IN ORDER TO GET THE "1 YEAR EXTENSION OF STAY" THROUGH A NOTARIZED LETTER AS FINANCIAL PROOF, THAI AUTHORITIES WANT TO KNOW MY INCOME IN ITALY, NOT MY BANK BALANCE. (E.G. IN MY ITALIAN BANK I CAN HAVE A BALANCE OF 1.200.000 BHT, FROM WHICH I GET AN YEARLY INCOME OF 24.000 BHT)

ACCORDINGLY, THE EMBASSY CAN ONLY NOTARIZE A LETTER THAT PROVES MY INCOME, EITHER 65.000 BHT MONTHLY OR 800.000 BHT YEARLY.
CONVERSELY, THEY CANNOT NOTARIZE A LETTER THAT PROVES HOW MUCH MONEY I HAVE IN MY BANK BECAUSE, ACCORDING TO THEM, IT'S USELESS.

WOULD YOU KINDLY TELL ME WHICH ONE IS TRUE?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
GIO

If it your first 1 year extension of stay you need 800k baht in a Thai bank account, in your name, for 2 months prior to applying, or an income of 65k pm certified by your embassy, or a combination of the two.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

thank you very much for the replies.

would an income (from my italian bank) of 240.000 bht p/y break any hearts at the notary office of the embassy in thailand, and at the immigration office where i'm supposed to apply?

(i know, it's way below the 800.000 bht p/y threshold. just ask for information)

otherwise, it seems that my only option is the bank transfer.

thank you all guys for your help, and patience

gio

would an income (from my italian bank) of 240.000 bht p/y break any hearts at the notary office of the embassy in thailand, and at the immigration office where i'm supposed to apply?

(i know, it's way below the 800.000 bht p/y threshold. just ask for information)

gio

If you have an income of 240,000 per year that can be certified by the embassy you only need to deposit a minimum of 560,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months. Less than 560k and you won't get the extension of stay.

gio

What the Italian embassy is willing to certify and what proof you would need to provide to them is up to them. You'd have to ask them if they would issue the affidavit for that source of income. Different embassies have different criteria. The form is issued by the embassy. A notarized letter from your bank would not be accepted by immigrations.

Thai immigrations would expect a certified income of at least Baht 65,000 per month OR an income affidavit from your embassy plus an amount held for at least two months in a Thai bank so that the total of the two is at least Baht 800,000.

It's really not a negotiable requirement. It's AT LEAST Baht 800,000.

Without any income affidavit from your embassy, it would need to be a balance of at least Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank for at least two months before your first application for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by Suradit69

gio

If you have an income of 240,000 per year that can be certified by the embassy you only need to deposit a minimum of 560,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months. Less than 560k and you won't get the extension of stay.

Watch the exchange rate,,, Better to up the bank balance to 600k just to be safe.

thank you for clarifying

i also read about the O-A visa, though i'm not sure if it suits my circumstances.

what's the difference between the 1 year extension of stay and the O-A visa?

(if it's off topic please let me know and i could start another thread.)

thank you for clarifying

i also read about the O-A visa, though i'm not sure if it suits my circumstances.

An O/A visa is a Visa which if used correctly allows a two year stay in Thailand without the need to apply for an extension of stay (which is not a visa)

An O/A visa application only requires adequate funds to be shown in your country of origin ........there is no requirement for funds to be held or transferred to Thailand.

An O/A visa can only be issued in your own country of residence.

• Like 1

thank you for clarifying

As said above it's a visa and not an extension of stay.

• All you need to do is show the embassy that you have the equivalent of 800k in your Italian bank account or a 65k income.
  • The visa is multiple entry and valid for 1 year.
  • Each time you enter you're given a 1 year stay.
  • You can leave and come back as often as you want during the year.
  • If you stay in the country longer than 90 days you need to report to immigration exactly the same as those with extensions of stay.
  • If you enter the country just before the end of the year (visas validity) you will be given another 1 year stay.
  • In the second year you no longer have multiple entries, but any time you want to leave/re-enter you can buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) which keeps the second year stay alive.
  • At the end of the second year you can apply for an extension of stay or go and get a new visa.

It's a good option if your starting out from your home country and delays the need to deal with local immigration for nearly two years.

• Like 1

Is it possible to get a proof of address on a tourist visa.

Proof of address can be a rental agreement or a receipt for a room. Or are you asking about a certificate of residence.

A certificate of residence while on a tourist visa would be difficult to get from most immigration offices.

Proof of address can be a rental agreement or a receipt for a room. Or are you asking about a certificate of residence.

A certificate of residence while on a tourist visa would be difficult to get from most immigration offices.

I am looking to renew my driving license, I was on a non B/work permit when I applied for it last year however I am now on a tourist visa. Is it possible to renew on a tourist visa?

I am looking to renew my driving license, I was on a non B/work permit when I applied for it last year however I am now on a tourist visa. Is it possible to renew on a tourist visa?

You can renew your license but will be difficult to get the certificate of residence needed to do it dependent upon the immigration office you have to use. You may have to get the certificate of residence from you embassy.

You could try getting a certificate of residence from your local Amphur. You'll need the person named as house-master/owner in the blue house book, where you live, to go with you.

Hi,

today at Hua Hin Immigration i made a strange Experience as i need to have new " extension of stay ". I do have 2 single name accounts with Bangkok Bank. One is in Euro, the other one in Baht. The last 3 month i had much more then 800000 Baht in combination of the two accounts every single day. But Immigration denied " Extension of stay ". Any advice what i can do?

thnx guys

regarding o-a visa.

i read the thai embassy in rome rules.

i must say what's written is different, at least that's the way i interpret.

@ elviajero, unbonjoe, singerman, you say: you have the equivalent of 800k in your Italian bank account or a 65k income.

the thai website reads like this: you have the equivalent of 800k in your Italian bank account and a 65k income

my interpretation is that both are needed.

am i right/wrong?

thnx guys

regarding o-a visa.

@ elviajero, unbonjoe, singerman, you say: you have the equivalent of 800k in your Italian bank account or a 65k income.

the thai website reads like this: you have the equivalent of 800k in your Italian bank account and a 65k income

am i right/wrong?

If thats what the website says then the website is wrong. The requirement is 800k or 65k or a combination of the two totalling 800k. Definitely not both.

• Like 1

thnx guys

regarding o-a visa.

am i right/wrong?

It appears to be an error. It should the 800k baht or 65k baht.

The English version on the website states this.

"2.4 A copy of a bank statements showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Bath, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Bath, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Bath a year."

• Like 1

thnx guys

regarding o-a visa.

am i right/wrong?

It appears to be an error. It should the 800k baht or 65k baht.

The English version on the website states this.

"2.4 A copy of a bank statements showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Bath, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Bath, or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Bath a year."

thnx guys

regarding o-a visa.

am i right/wrong?

If thats what the website says then the website is wrong. The requirement is 800k or 65k or a combination of the two totalling 800k. Definitely not both.

you are right.

the english version gives no room to misinterpretation.

the italian translation has been poorly written