the most idyllic places to live

johnsmith1

Hello I am somewhat similar to newbie in regard to knowing about the best place or places to settle down in Thailand , I have a Thai wife and the village is ok for a day or two ,Bangkok we lived there for several periods and apart from the malls and movies we did"nt settle ,We visited Phuket that's a no no , I often wonderd where do the really weathy thais live ; here in our home village in the UK we have some wealthy people and they come out of their homes very little just the normal things like work (don't know why ) they have millions and have a couple of weeks in Italy etc etc for holidays

So I suppose my question really is if any of you members of this forum have the experience or have seen what they would consider there dream life style and had a disposable income of @£3000 per week enough funds to buy property up to £1.000.000 where would that life be in the land of smiles??

oh and if Newbie reads this pay the tax almost impossible to get around the system now: you can get capital gains down to 10% with entrepreneurial relief ( see your accountant)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head to the West of the river and check out the 200 million baht mansions.

Property up to 50 million not enuff, best you head upcountry.

Disposable income of 3k pommie pesos per week, LOL, must be Loso.

I know farangs working here who pick up , 750,000 baht per month just for being here, schools, accomodation and insurance etc on top.

hello my idea would be somewhere outside bkk nice house we don't really do bars and clubs but enjoy live music English and thai

one poster suggested west of the River ?? could you give me a district please many thanks

If I may make a suggestion; Take a trip down to Hua Hin. It's a picturesque seaside town approximately 200km south of Bangkok with a variety of Thai and international restaurants to dine at. There are numerous houses and condos in various price categories, sizes and locations to choose from. Overall, it's a lovely little town, close enough to the capital for a quick shopping trip, yet far enough away from the big smog to give you the feeling that you're living the dream in a tropical country.

If you're seriously interested in looking at property in Hua Hin or the immediate vacinity, send me a PM and I'll gladly mail you the name and telephone number of a very reliable and helpful English speaking real estate agent in Hua Hin.

Good luck and I hope you find the ideal place for yourself and your wife.

hello my idea would be somewhere outside bkk nice house we don't really do bars and clubs but enjoy live music English and thai

one poster suggested west of the River ?? could you give me a district please many thanks

If I may make a suggestion; Take a trip down to Hua Hin. It's a picturesque seaside town approximately 200km south of Bangkok with a variety of Thai and international restaurants to dine at. There are numerous houses and condos in various price categories, sizes and locations to choose from. Overall, it's a lovely little town, close enough to the capital for a quick shopping trip, yet far enough away from the big smog to give you the feeling that you're living the dream in a tropical country.

If you're seriously interested in looking at property in Hua Hin or the immediate vacinity, send me a PM and I'll gladly mail you the name and telephone number of a very reliable and helpful English speaking real estate agent in Hua Hin.

Good luck and I hope you find the ideal place for yourself and your wife.

Oh it's idyllic.

Only the other month oil slicks coated the beach at this tropical paradise.

I guess what one man perceives to be idyllic is far removed from that of another.

In the old days it seemed Thais dreamed of retiring in Chiang Mai. Don't think so anymore. Hua Hin seemed quite nice and especially clean 15 20 years ago. The traffic is turning into a nightmare there now nd it's hard to find clean water unless you get pretty remote.

I lived in Samut Prakan off Soi Bearring on Soi 8 for about 9 months. It was pretty quiet and clean and the SkyTrain was just down the street.

I wanted to be near the ocean though so I moved to Naklua, Bang Lamong. It's actually quite nice and just 10 15 minutes outside the Central Pattaya Circus. I don't think I could live anywhere esle around Pattaya. It really is a "freak show."

Been here 3 months and I want to start venturing out looking for clean water and beaches. Sadly the beaches are trashed here as well. The water is very dirty too... Thinking maybe koh Phi Phi or Koh Chang or Krabi...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions very much appreciated ,I shall look at taking a holiday around Hau Hin. ,Hawai just does not appeal to me ,and I would imagine very expensive ,I think somewhere where I can have access to reasonable restaurants and cinemas with an option to sit at the beach would probably do nicely ,it's crazy first time in my life I have a real choice what to do but so confused Lol

well, you do what most all well off folks do.

buy a bigger house and more land and start building what you need there. what makes you happy? it could be an amusement park, pool, racetrack, wine cellar?

sooner or later you wont need to go out much and it wont really matter WHERE you are. you will also eventually find that if you can afford everything you could want any dissatisfaction is coming from within.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions very much appreciated ,I shall look at taking a holiday around Hau Hin. <snip>

My impression of Hau Hin is that it felt a bit like God's Waiting Room.

Granted, I didn't spend that much time there, just an observation rather then an analysis.

OH, as a nice place to reside, removing the Money issue, Rayong does appear to appeal to many.

Rayong.8.gif

About the same travelling time to Bangkok as HuaHin, maybe a little less, plus close to Pattaya, if you need some facilities based there (no, I don't mean Walking St)

Beaches cleaner there also?

The islands down near the boarder with Cambodia also appear scenic and a shorter distance from Rayong.

Good Luck with the search, tell us where you eventually decide to reside.

Luke

Information poor and cash rich, re-calibrate your thinking ... Rent.

With the kind of flexibility you have, I would not begin to think about buying anywhere. Especially tie-ing myself down to it in Thailand knowing what i know now. If you want to enjoy this phase, park your money in a secure non property asset, and forget it until something itches.

So many beaches or mountains to buy here and you wonder where to live...

Wealthy Thai live in Bangkok because they don't have more brain than the poor who have no choice but need to live there because of work.

I know incredibly people driving a ferrari (husband) and porsche panamera (wife) who do not understand why it could be better to live outside hell city...

John Smith - What you have to take into account, just to make this more difficult is that things change - and you will change too and places will change…

Happiness may not necessarily be in a large home with annoying servants - it might actually be in a simpler lifestyle.

It is not easy for me to glean what you might like - Hua Hin is very "tight" crowded - w/lots of tourists and never felt comfortable for me. Cha'am was better but that has grown now too… if you really want beach, you might want to head south of HH to Pranburi or Prachuap,…

If you want to go west of Bkk - you might want to try Kanchanaburi - lots of nice natural areas, and some nightlife in town. Easy reach of Bkk.

You might also want to look around northern Thailand - CM has an active expat community w/plenty to do and CR has lovely rolling hills and a nice lifestyle.

I had lived in Bkk many yrs ago and though I liked the movies etc.. each year we go there less and less often and I do not miss any of it… but maybe best not to dig in too deep until you have tried a place for a year or so… actually, great internet access/speed has become one of the most important things for me… streaming movies in a relaxed home environment beats going out into the mad mad world..

good luck..

Putting pound figures on your monetary availabilities has caused some of the members reply with cynical and

somewhat envy remarks, one poster said it best, find a place you think you like and rent for a while and

see how it suites you and than buy...

Putting pound figures on your monetary availabilities has caused some of the members reply with cynical and

somewhat envy remarks, one poster said it best, find a place you think you like and rent for a while and

see how it suites you and than buy...

But you haven't added anything to the OP this is about finding an idyllic place to live in Thailand.

Let's not derail the thread and turn this into a I've got more poke than you thread.

Although it was obviously the intention of the OP a member for a mere 10 hours to provoke thoughts of animosity by posting absurd figures in the first instance.

Why include ridiculous figures such as 150,000 baht a week budgets,ok so the OP may well have millions of pounds,all due respect do we really care,I don't but I find it odd that people have to tell others of their worth.

This usually means they are insecure and more often than not full of bullshit.

Edited by stoneyboy

Don't buy yet, rent and travel around. Recommend you get a condo near the market in Chiang Mai. The nearby bus station will allow you to get public buses all over the place to Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin etc. It's your decision what is best for you but one place I wouldn't settle would be Phuket. You could continue renting for 12, even 24 months.You could pay a monthly rent of 10000THB -30000THB( 200-600 pounds) and it would barely be a blip on your income.

Or if you find you prefer living in different places you could just rent in different places for the rest of your life. Personally, if I was in your position that is what I would do.

With that income i would buy me a condo very close to my favorit mall in BKK and for the rest travel and live in hotels.

I wouldn't stay in Thailand only, Bali, Australia, Singapore, Japan would be the places for visiting.

If you buy a house in Thailand you will need personell and that gives headaches.

I'm surprised that you didn't like Phuket as there is a wide variety there to suit most tastes. I have a friend there (from Hawaii) that has been around for many years and knows all the nooks and crannies, so am lucky in the sense of having a handler when I'm there. My personal preference is on the Andaman side, and there are both quiet or lively places and anything inbetween depending on what you want.

As others have said, renting makes more financial sense, but if money no object then you can buy someone a nice house somewhere.

I'm not that familiar with some of the other areas mentioned in previous posts, though if you could paint a picture of your ideal everything then maybe between us we could offer some suggestions that might appeal to you.

Edited by Shiver

Here's another one with houses around 1 million euro.

For me the design for hi-so Thai is always funny. My perfect house and garden wouldn't look like this at all. I would at least have my own private pool with a very nice surrounding garden and lots of privacy.

If you see Ladawan from the outside you would thing it's a crematorium.