Ford’s redesigned Ranger named Pickup Truck of 2015

rooster59

I think he's still stuck in the 1950s in the US.

You mean the user who posted that. Or Toyota technology?

Well there you go J - attempting to think again.....

In the 50's I was still playing little league - which was fun as they made me play + 3-4 years my age....

So - you really think the builds in Thailand are better than in the US?

I gave classes to cross manufacturered service personnel....My favorite days were the ones where they shared notes and common fails among their represented lines....The domestic guys always started with a puffy pride - but left educated as to what the differences really were....More than a few resumes changed hands going to the import side as the classes ended.....

According to an industry fellow I know here GM are made better here than in the US, so it wouldn't surprise me. Also, Ford in Asia predominantly manufacture Ford's European cars, so yes, they're better than what is made in the US. I realise than Ford is trying hard to make 'world' cars, but hopefully that experiment will stop soon after the mess made to the Mondeo by American meddling - it now drives like an American car unfortunately.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that the color of the Illustrated Ford Danger here is exactly the same as the Anti Fowling paint their slopping on the Fishing Boat im sitting next to.?. .but without Orange Peel.gigglem.gif .

But it's orange - thus isn't orange peel expected? :P

Had a Chevrolet Captiva for 3 years and it was crap, build quality, fuel economy, service costs and service quality. Now got the Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 for about 7 months and couldn't be happier. Only had one service but Ford Pattaya seem pretty friendly and competent. I got about 500km on a full tank on the Captiva 2.4 but get 900 on the 3.2, and the fuel tank is not twice as big.

Went inside the new Everest and that looks amazing also. I heard that more and more thais are buying Ford rather than Toyota since you get more equipment for your money.

3 newish Ford trucks CM to Suphan Buri and around SB....one with red plates....2 were driving like they were on fire....Saw more new Tritons & Izuzus + of course Toyotas....

At least it helped with a boring drive.....

Think Cha Am is in the plans so will keep watching.....

No need to count cars, here's some delivery numbers for November biggrin.png

Revo: 10,191

D-Max: 9,213

Ranger: 2,975

Triton: 2,222*

As for trends, Revo sales are down 21.5% M-O-M, D-Max down 3.3%, Ranger up 55.1%

*Triton numbers are unofficial - extrapolated from Pickup category minus PPV numbers - official number may vary when released.

Edited by IMHO

As for trends, Revo sales are down 21.5% M-O-M, D-Max down 3.3%, Ranger up 55.1%

*Triton numbers are unofficial - extrapolated from Pickup category minus PPV numbers - official number may vary when released.

Now it's gonna be really boring the rest of the drive....

How can they survive selling 20-30,000 units a year spread out through the country......

How can they survive selling 20-30,000 units a year spread out through the country......

Why don't you ask how can Mitsubishi survive? or Nissan, or Chev - or any of the other tier-2 brands? smile.png

The answer is simple: Profit. And tier-2 brands make much, much more of it per unit due to significantly lower sales & marketing expenses.

Here's another related question: How can Toyota survive when they're spending close to 50,000 Baht in advertising for each vehicle sold?

Same answer: Profit smile.png

How about this one: How can Toyota survive when in the past 5 years they've increased their dealership numbers by around 50%, but in the same time have gone from around 45% market share to 36%? (that fell to 32% in November BTW)

Once again, same answer: Profit biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

Why don't you ask how can Mitsubishi survive? or Nissan, or Chev - or any of the other tier-2 brands? smile.png

The answer is simple: Profit. And tier-2 brands make much, much more of it per unit due to significantly lower sales & marketing expenses.

Here's another related question: How can Toyota survive when they're spending close to 50,000 Baht in advertising for each vehicle sold?

Same answer: Profit smile.png

How about this one: How can Toyota survive when in the past 5 years they've increased their dealership numbers by around 50%, but in the same time have gone from around 45% market share to 36%? (that fell to 32% in November BTW)

Once again, same answer: Profit biggrin.png

Thanks for making it clear that the Ford Ranger is waaaayyyy overpriced. I like the looks of the truck, the one before the facelift, but would never buy it at that price and now you confirmed my suspicions.

Another question. Is it true that the Revo is named worst truck for it's money?

Regardless of brand am guessing small dealers moving 5-6 tpm amd big dealers at 18-20 tpm....That's a small amount....Assuming they pay flooring here along with the corporate advertising costs they're charged on the dealer statements they have to be making some up on markup of finance rates/back side of the sale with no real volume.....That makes ot difficult to have experienced qualified techs for the service side.....The service side in the US usually funds the operating of the business → that's got to be hard to do here as most of the service depts don't look busy in the 2nd tier levels......Especially in a country starved for quality techs.....

Thanks for making it clear that the Ford Ranger is waaaayyyy overpriced. I like the looks of the truck, the one before the facelift, but would never buy it at that price and now you confirmed my suspicions.

Here's the prices of top-spec 4x4 double cab models:

Revo G 2.8L 6AT 4x4: 1,139,000

Colorado Z71 2.8L 6AT 4x4: 1,029,000

Ranger XLT 3.2L 6AT 4x4: 1,019,000

D-Max Z-Prestige 3.0L 5AT 4x4: 1,017,000

BT-50 R 3.2L 6AT 4x4: 1,016,000

Triton GLS-Limited 2.4L 6AT 4x4: 1,008,000

Navara NP300 VL 2.5L 7At 4x4: 1,001,000

How is the Ranger overpriced in this company?

You can't compare the Wildtrak to other companies standard offerings - the XLT is the model that compares to other brands top-models.

Regardless of brand am guessing small dealers moving 5-6 tpm amd big dealers at 18-20 tpm....That's a small amount....Assuming they pay flooring here along with the corporate advertising costs they're charged on the dealer statements they have to be making some up on markup of finance rates/back side of the sale with no real volume.....That makes ot difficult to have experienced qualified techs for the service side.....The service side in the US usually funds the operating of the business → that's got to be hard to do here as most of the service depts don't look busy in the 2nd tier levels......Especially in a country starved for quality techs.....

There are no floor costs in TH like Western countries - factory invoices are paid post-retail-sale - which is also why it takes so long to get your white plates, and why dealers don't get to pick and choose their inventory.

Your numbers on supporting service dept's need to take into account dealership count, and past 3 year sales, because few people continue dealer servicing out of warranty. There's not much difference in supporting almost 500 dealerships with 32% (and declining) market share, than 100 dealerships with 6% (and growing) market share, for example.

You can't compare the Wildtrak to other companies standard offerings - the XLT is the model that compares to other brands top-models.

The ranger I have in mind is around the 1.3M price, which is undoubtedly the wildtrak. Care to explain why this model can't be compared to the other brands top models, an what justifies the extra 300K?

The ranger I have in mind is around the 1.3M price, which is undoubtedly the wildtrak. Care to explain why this model can't be compared to the other brands top models, an what justifies the extra 300K?

The top-spec Wildtrak 3.2L 6AT 4x4 is 1,139,000 Baht - not 1.3M smile.png

That's the exact same price as the vanilla Revo G.

Ford prices: http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models

Toyota prices: http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/hilux_revo_double_cab

Prices go up in a few days time, once the clock ticks over to 2016 though - once that happens, the top Wildtrak will be 1,189,000 Baht - still not 1.3M - and gets a few features to help offset the tax-driven price rise.

No other manufacturers have revealed their 2016 prices yet, but you can bet they'll all rise by about the same amount.

I think the question should be: What do you get for spending 120,000 Baht more for the top Revo? To which the answer is: absolutely nothing :P

Edited by IMHO

The top-spec Wildtrak 3.2L 6AT 4x4 is 1,139,000 Baht - not 1.3M smile.png

That's the exact same price as the vanilla Revo G.

Ford prices: http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models

Toyota prices: http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/hilux_revo_double_cab

Prices go up in a few days time, once the clock ticks over to 2016 though - once that happens, the top Wildtrak will be 1,189,000 Baht - still not 1.3M - and gets a few features to help offset the tax-driven price rise.

No other manufacturers have revealed their 2016 prices yet, but you can bet they'll all rise by about the same amount.

Sorry my wrong. In a post of yours in another thread, where you had posted the same price for the Ranger, I had misread it as 1.390.000 Baht.

Edited by TheCruncher

Your chart is wrong. Actually top of the line fords Fords are the most expensive.

Sorry my wrong. In a post of yours in another thread, where you had posted the same price for the Ranger, I had misread it as 1.390.000 Baht.

No problem :)

You're earlier observation on prices is still valid though - there's a very healthy amount of profit margin in these top models... When you consider a base 2-door MT sells for 550K'ish, you're paying a whole lot more for a more powerful engine, AT, 4x4, higher suspension, larger rims, 2 extra doors and some nicer interior finishes and gizmos.

2x base models gets you the same amount of doors, same amount of driven wheels, more overall power, and over double the load capacity for about the same price as a flagship model :P

Your chart is wrong. Actually top of the line fords Fords are the most expensive.

Compare like for like.

i.e. if you want to compare the Wildtrak, compare it to the Navara SportTech or Colorado Storm.

if you want to compare any of the other models I've listed, they go up against the XLT - which is the version that this thread - Pickup truck of the year - is about, BTW ;)

In any case, I'm sure Ford would happily welcome anyone cross shopping the Revo G with their Wildtrak at the same price ;)

not to the Revo to be honest. You should use the Wildtrack in this comparison.

not to the Revo to be honest. You should use the Wildtrack in this comparison.

How do you justify that the Revo G is a direct competitor for the Wildtrak? The Revo TRD Sportivo when it arrives, yes, Revo G, no.

I would venture to say that every company has won "pickup of the year" at some time in their existance.....

I can't recall when Isuzu, Nissan, Mitsubishi or Chev/Holden ever had such an award for their pickups - or their SUV brothers.

Toyota won a few awards back in the 00's with the VIGO generation, but in recent times it's been a 3-way fight between the Amarok, Ranger and it's BT-50 brother.

For example:

Drive.com.au COTY - Best ute:

2011 - Mazda BT-50

2012 - Mazda BT-50

2013 - Mazda BT-50

2014 - Mazda BT-50

2015 - Ford Ranger

CarAdvice - Ute comparison:

2013 - Ford Ranger

2015 - Ford Ranger

Motoring.com.au - Ute Comparison:

2013 - Ford Ranger

2014 - Volkswagen Amarok

2015 - Ford Ranger

Edited by IMHO

Huh, looks like you are picking and choosing your reference sources very well which, is what I was referring to. And yes the Chevy Colorado has a recent truck of the year award. You can find any myriad of awards depending on the website, magazine, and any other media source you like. These awards from the minions mean nothing. Are you guys this easily fooled?

Huh, looks like you are picking and choosing your reference sources very well which, is what I was referring to. And yes the Chevy Colorado has a recent truck of the year award. You can find any myriad of awards depending on the website, magazine, and any other media source you like. These awards from the minions mean nothing. Are you guys this easily fooled?

May be you could post a link to, or at least mention the name of the magazine, that awarded Chevrolet the award.

Edited by TheCruncher

That's the US market Colorado - it's not the same truck we get...

That's why I used Australian market links - because they do get the exact same models we have here. I didn't pick and choose at all - I just focussed on the largest 3 motoring publications that country has, and revealed all recent results from them. Sheesh!

If you want to go searching for a publication that supports whatever model you think is being ill represented by all these professional motoring journalists, try New Zealand and South African publications - they are the only other two English speaking markets I can think of that get the same pickup truck range as us. You could try some smaller Australian publications too, but I'm pretty sure you'll find they all narrow down to the same 3 trucks I already mentioned.

Edited by IMHO