New Mountain bike Kaze Hero 310.

happy Joe

This bike seems perfect for my budget. 6061, 14.3kg, under 14-19 inches, 27.5 wheels.

y3g2ui.jpg

I particularly appreciate:

- The sober frame - hydraulic disc brakes.

- The finish unbranded solder.

- Integrated cables.

- Decent saddle.

- The attractive price 11700 b

I have found no reference to the manufacturer or any guest reviews. Same for the 888 Store south of Chiang Rai, mostly online sales.

As I know nothing biking and I'm not mounted on a bicycle for almost 20 years thank you to tell me any defects and risks of this model unknown.

Note that this bike will be for my wife. For myself I just received a Grand Totem North 29 ER same features and price that suits me perfectly after changing too narrow saddle and seat post too short.

For that price for the bike on the pic you can hardly make anything wrong.

Let your wife make an extended test ride before you buy it; most important is that she feels really well on it. When I look at the design of the top tube I suggest to make sure she can stand on the ground on both feet with the bike between the legs without having fork contact.

The male crew (sorry ladys ...!)at Anek's (maybe I'm wrong but the pic just looks like it) make an experienced impression to me, and they should be qualified to adjust the bike to the ergonomic needs of your wife as part of the sales service. But she has to speak with them frankly, "kraeng jay" is totally out of place here ...

Wish both of you an always safe ride.

Let your wife make an extended test ride before you buy it; most important is that she feels really well on it. When I look at the design of the top tube I suggest to make sure she can stand on the ground on both feet with the bike between the legs without having fork contact.

The male crew (sorry ladys ...!)at Anek's (maybe I'm wrong but the pic just looks like it) make an experienced impression to me, and they should be qualified to adjust the bike to the ergonomic needs of your wife as part of the sales service. But she has to speak with them frankly, "kraeng jay" is totally out of place here ...

Yes, we will go in this store for a test next Tuesday but they are located 180 km from Sansai where I live.
About rust problems I thought I was safe with aluminum for the frame and wheels, stainless steel spokes but maybe these metals corrode in Thailand ???
I also have the impression that 14.3 kg is good for a mountain bike in this price range. I also verify that weight has on site.

What Maejo said is true enough but I wouldn't be so critical. This is a big step up from the Big C bike I would typically buy for a gf or wife. Also, a heavier bike is good because you certainly don't want her beating you up any hills.

And... it's not that heavy, is it? Maybe 12kg would be better but this is an entry-level mtb.

I think OP you meant 18km from Sansai, not 180km. Anek is over by Mae Hia market.

Specs...

Shimano Acera (3x8) + some kind of SPX cranks. About as low as you can go on the component hierarchy and still get yourself a real bike shop bike.

I'd be a bit concerned about the brake levers being plasticky or shifters feeling gummy / Playskool but that's about it. The fork is probably really basic, but so what. The grips and bar and such are what they are.

For general fitness riding and a lightweight rider it is all probably good enough. As long as the drivetrain is Shimano and the brakes take Shimano pads, then it looks standardized and service shouldn't be a problem.

For 15k you can get slightly better components like Shimano Altus and Tektro brakes but that would be a Trek or Merida bike - Kaze doesn't seem to have a step up from the Hero 310. If you're going to do a lot of riding then I would try to find 4-5k more in the budget. But if this is for pootling around the moo baan twice a week, maybe it's good enough.

Now, if you're contemplating the same level of bike for yourself (not just the wife) and you're a big guy or want to get into cycling then I would recommend stretching the budget for a better bike.

I doubt Anek or anybody in CM will be keen on letting you do a meaningful test ride before you buy, but I've never asked them specifically. They do seem committed to getting customers set up correctly after purchase though.

Some technical stuff / overkill: I believe this triple ring is 44-32-22 (the three rings at the front) with an 11-32 'cassette' on the back. An 11-34 or 12-36 on the back would be better for climbing hills but those are usually 9 speed cassettes. With this 8 speed, I do see Shimano offers an 11-34 but there is a huge jump between the two lowest gears (26 and then 34). Up to you, maybe just ride it as is and see how things go. You can always try a bigger cassette later; they're not that pricey.

Helmet. You can get a standard Giro one for 1k baht or so at other shops. Anek seems to like more expensive helmets but I didn't price check everything they have. I like Bell too but 2,400 baht a pop may not be in your budget. Just putting that out there. Yes, get a helmet.

I like the colors of the Kaze series. They Kaze-y.

'KAZE Cycling - Spirit of Japan'

https://www.facebook.com/KAZE-Cycling-Spirit-of-Japan-978623152187958/

About rust problems I thought I was safe with aluminum for the frame and wheels, stainless steel spokes but maybe these metals corrode in Thailand ???

The cheap screws will corrode, yes. Sometimes from sweat (I was told) rather than elements. They can be replaced as required with better screws or the same screws. Don't know what kind of hubs this bike has. For sure every non-obvious part will be value engineered to oblivion. But this might be OK if you keep expectations in line with the price.

I have a more expensive bike and the pedals have surface rust at the crank arm. Some bolt I thought was stainless got a patina of rust. I don't care.

The holes in the Kaze frame where the cable tubes come out don't look grommeted. If water gets in the frame it will go down to the bottom bracket and make soup. Check the seat post and the saddle rails. Think about the grips.

Is there a better alternative in that price bracket?

I think it's alone at that price point. But if you expand the bracket a bit there is a Trek with Shimano Acera for about 14k that probably has better bars and rims.

An alternate question might be, is the next step down like an LA Turbo better value?

Yes, we will go in this store for a test next Tuesday but they are located 180 km from Sansai where I live.
I also have the impression that 14.3 kg is good for a mountain bike in this price range. I also verify that weight has on site.

Why go so far,

Krung Sing Bicycles sell the same cheap MTBs (opposite 7/11 on the road from Mae Rim to Chang Puak, 100m before the superhighway traffic lights)

And another place selling exactly the same type of bike, 100m after the traffic lights (same side of the road) in Chang Puak Road.

Even closer,

The bicycle shop on the 1001 from MaeJo to Chang Mai, just after the BeLive traffic lights under the BETAGRO sign.

Or the bicycle shop on the road from MaeJo to Mae Rim, opposite the SanSai Hospital.

These guys all buy from the same Chinese distributors.

Um...

When I wanted to buy my own bike I toured the shops known in Chiang Mai. For my size I have found nothing to below 20000 b, and generally close to 30,000.

That is why I bought mine online (Totem aluminum frame 19 Hydraulic brake discs, wheels 29 feet) 11000 b At 888 Chiang rai. I am happy with.

My wife constantly borrows to me but it's too big for her, So I'm going to buy a new one. The distance will be the opportunity of a beautiful ballad (by car rolleyes.gif )

Um...

When I wanted to buy my own bike I toured the shops known in Chiang Mai.

Yeah, but you're a large foreigner and Thai shops don't cater to you.

Your wife is a small Thai, every bicycle shop in Thailand will have bikes that fit her.

Not to mention, the 'known' shops in CM are usually overpriced places near tourist centers.

The shops selling junk bikes to normal Thais are hardly ever mentioned ...... except by me.

And I listed 4 of them withing 10Km of your home.

None of which you knew about.

(but your wife should have)

PS

Why you should buy your wife a brand name bike.

Every Thai knows the junk Chinese bikes, her riding one will make her appear poor (and you appear mean).

Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, Giant, Merida.

Those are the names of bicycles your wife wants to ride.

You can get a Trek MTB for 12,000bht.

PPS

Totem is also junk (and Coyote and Trinx).

Have a look at Infinite brand http://sangcharernbike.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/เสือภูเขา_Infinite_Fuzz_Race_2015_ล้อ_27.5_รุ่นเริ่มต้น_อะไหล่ระดับนี้_ราคาแบบนี้ดีมากครับ-27642066-th.html

Thai made, but have a good reputation.

Song Bikes NE corner of moat sell them.

Is your wife planning on mountain biking? If not,maybe a hybrid would be more suitable. Lighter weight, good for paved roads.

Have a look at Infinite brand http://sangcharernbike.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/เสือภูเขา_Infinite_Fuzz_Race_2015_ล้อ_27.5_รุ่นเริ่มต้น_อะไหล่ระดับนี้_ราคาแบบนี้ดีมากครับ-27642066-th.html

Is your wife planning on mountain biking? If not,maybe a hybrid would be more suitable. Lighter weight, good for paved roads.

The bike that you are out of the same mold, but ...
- It is a little pricier 12500
- The finish is less
- The brake control cable. Hydraulics for mine.
173515Bikecomparaison.png
Also this model is sold under the brand "KASE" in this other store priced at 8900 b
When I spoke of distrust about price and brands ...

The bike that you are out of the same mold, but ...

- It is a little pricier 12500

- The finish is less

- The brake control cable. Hydraulics for mine.

173515Bikecomparaison.png

Also this model is sold under the brand "KASE" in this other store priced at 8900 b

http://www.snbike.com/products/671

When I spoke of distrust about price and brands ...

Not true, Infinite have their own (western) design team and don't use open molds.

That said, these are aluminium frames that don't use molds, just because they look similar does not mean they are the same.

Another thing to be careful of is bike shops telling you it is the same frame they will say it is an OEM frame, this is a fake. As soon as someone says OEM walk away.

Well, after a successful test my wife did not want to part with this new baby.

So I bought the pretty yellow bike.

In Chiang Mai, if you cross some day a pretty cavalier on his proud steed followed distantly by an old farang breathless it will be us.

Thank you to those who took the time to respond.

I remember the days when you didn't need an M.Eng to select a push bike, golly I miss those days. laugh.png

My 2006 bike - my first since the '80s - I went down to the local bike shop.

"bicycle. Very cheap" and rode away with a Giant for 3,000 bht equivalent. It weighed a ton, but it had gears and brakes and everything, and did me for the remainder of the project, but I never went very far.

Attractive price whistling.gifwhistling.gif and also a photo to big so my laptop don't like sad.png

A good bicycle is good when all the parts are good and for this price I'm sure, I know , some of them aren't good .

The frame..I have nothing to speak about it; they are nearly all made in Taiwan .

The wheels must be strong and light and for that price they aren't .

On my Wheeler Pro 10 I changed rapidly the original ones by good ones which are more expensive than the entiere bicycle at the beginning .

A good MTBike is , in Thailand , minimum very minimum 30,000 baht and for that you will have average parts everywhere;

if you can buy a MTBike without the telescopic fork and disk brakes it's also a very good one and lighter than this one.

If you cycle only on good roads, alsphat, concrete even red roads, you don't need a telescopic fork;

nor disk brakes which are heavy and fragile;

I take my example;

I cycle about 15,000 km a year; this month, december 2015, 1,300 km ;

I must change the brake pad every 2 or max 3,000 km and each time it's 700 baht for the two wheels;

with normal brakes I will do more km and when needing for new ones it will be cheaper and more easy to change.

About the Shimano group, if you cycle much it's better to have a good one :

SLX or XT ( XTR isn't necessary and very expensive ) and a good chain, I have a XTR chain but only a XT group .

I change the chain ( 1300 baht ) twice a year and the group ( 2400 baht) once a year .

In Thailand the raods are never cleaned , only the rain clean them; so you have so many things which are not good for your tyres...

I have Schwalbe tyres on my MTBike , nearly impossible to find in Thailand, don't know why...

Marathon Supreme - 26 x 1.60 - in the front and Marathon Racer behind - 26 x 1.50 - 1,500 baht each but very strong ; I change once a year .

Conclusion: a 12,000 baht bike is an ordinary and heavy bicycle with which you cannot cycle many km whitout having some problems.

Attractive price whistling.gifwhistling.gif and also a photo to big so my laptop don't like sad.png

A good bicycle is good when all the parts are good and for this price I'm sure, I know , some of them aren't good .

The frame..I have nothing to speak about it; they are nearly all made in Taiwan .

The wheels must be strong and light and for that price they aren't .

On my Wheeler Pro 10 I changed rapidly the original ones by good ones which are more expensive than the entiere bicycle at the beginning .

A good MTBike is , in Thailand , minimum very minimum 30,000 baht and for that you will have average parts everywhere;

if you can buy a MTBike without the telescopic fork and disk brakes it's also a very good one and lighter than this one.

If you cycle only on good roads, alsphat, concrete even red roads, you don't need a telescopic fork;

nor disk brakes which are heavy and fragile;

I take my example;

I cycle about 15,000 km a year; this month, december 2015, 1,300 km ;

I must change the brake pad every 2 or max 3,000 km and each time it's 700 baht for the two wheels;

with normal brakes I will do more km and when needing for new ones it will be cheaper and more easy to change.

About the Shimano group, if you cycle much it's better to have a good one :

SLX or XT ( XTR isn't necessary and very expensive ) and a good chain, I have a XTR chain but only a XT group .

I change the chain ( 1300 baht ) twice a year and the group ( 2400 baht) once a year .

In Thailand the raods are never cleaned , only the rain clean them; so you have so many things which are not good for your tyres...

I have Schwalbe tyres on my MTBike , nearly impossible to find in Thailand, don't know why...

Marathon Supreme - 26 x 1.60 - in the front and Marathon Racer behind - 26 x 1.50 - 1,500 baht each but very strong ; I change once a year .

Conclusion: a 12,000 baht bike is an ordinary and heavy bicycle with which you cannot cycle many km whitout having some problems.

In your place I will save a little money of bike to acquire a decent laptop ...

wai2.gif 2016

Your photo is too big;

Tywais one of the moderator on this forum ask everybody about photos : :

maximum 1024 pixels long ;

yours is nearly twice what he wants .

My computer is a new laptop with a 14" screen like nearly all normal laptops .

If I can save money it will be to buy a new road bike, not a laptop !

I can live without a laptop not without cycling .biggrin.png

Archived