The Carnage Carnival has begun!

WaiLai

While returning home from Macro on my bicycle I witnessed 2 accidents in a 10-15 minute time span with both accidents occurring in the very same spot at the intersection of Charoen Muang and the Super Highway.

Before the injured on the stretcher from Accident#1 could even get to the ambulance Accident#2 occurred with a "rubber necker" running a red light and wiping out a motorcyclist passing through the very same intersection.

Not a cop on site!

Ridiculous !

post-248586-0-83342800-1450775047_thumb.

Edited by WaiLai

Just an average day, I would say,they wont start killing themselves in numbers

until they start drinking and driving,over the holidays,same every year ,nothing

seems to change,needs to be taken a LOT more seriously.

regards worgeordie

It is truly scary out there!

The sheer idiocy of drivers boggles the mind.

Walking is probably the safest mode of getting somewhere in one piece!

Having lived in Cambodia for one year and leaving thinking it was the most dangerous country I'd lived in, I now must say that Cambodia is much safer than Thailand. Light years safer!

I just got out of the hospital today. My wife and I were slammed into at 5 in the morning yesterday on canal road near Jo's Bakery. The car driver fell asleep and veered into our lane. We broadsided it with our Naverro truck. The driver and another are in icu and the third died next to me in the emergency room. All Thai Yai. 22,25 and 28 years old.

Unfortunately with traffic in Chiang Mai it appears that common sense is not that common. Id hazzard a guess and suggest most drivers got their license out of a weetbix (Substitute Cornflakes for the Americans) packet.

Driving skills are sorely lacking in general, and even worse when you put them behind a vehicle with more than average horsepower. However in saying that I have noticed that those driving expensive vehicles tend to drive with a lot more caution (Or maybe they just want everyone to look at them and their vehicle?).

Not a lot surprises me in they way people drive here. You can break the law (Road code) and expect no penalty as a result....until someone dies.

I do wish that he police started to do their job and apprehend those that cause danger to other road users rather than seeking easy tea money from just motorbike riders without proper paperwork. Hit all red light runners, those that dont indicate their intentions and take the boy racers off the road. The list could go on for a long time but for christs sake, they need to do something to enforce basic road safety.

Current driving skills (Or lack thereof) are killing a lot of people not just in CM but throughout Thailand. And a lot of time these people are the innocent party.

Unfortunately with traffic in Chiang Mai it appears that common sense is not that common. Id hazzard a guess and suggest most drivers got their license out of a weetbix (Substitute Cornflakes for the Americans) packet.

Driving skills are sorely lacking in general, and even worse when you put them behind a vehicle with more than average horsepower. However in saying that I have noticed that those driving expensive vehicles tend to drive with a lot more caution (Or maybe they just want everyone to look at them and their vehicle?).

Not a lot surprises me in they way people drive here. You can break the law (Road code) and expect no penalty as a result....until someone dies.

I do wish that he police started to do their job and apprehend those that cause danger to other road users rather than seeking easy tea money from just motorbike riders without proper paperwork. Hit all red light runners, those that dont indicate their intentions and take the boy racers off the road. The list could go on for a long time but for christs sake, they need to do something to enforce basic road safety.

Current driving skills (Or lack thereof) are killing a lot of people not just in CM but throughout Thailand. And a lot of time these people are the innocent party.

"Traffic fines reduced to 100 baht as New Year gift"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/880890-traffic-fines-reduced-to-100-baht-as-new-year-gift/

Surviving the traffic is all about honing your own level of skill and especially awareness.

Hoping that there will be any local improvement is pure wishful thinking, that aside even a determined effort would take a generation to feed through.

Walking isn't necessarily safe as the motorbikes target you, as do the cars them and the trucks them up through the food chain.

While returning home from Macro on my bicycle I witnessed 2 accidents in a 10-15 minute time span with both accidents occurring in the very same spot

Either you ride really slow or you're a rubber necker yourself.

Edited by Chicog

While returning home from Macro on my bicycle I witnessed 2 accidents in a 10-15 minute time span with both accidents occurring in the very same spot

Well actually Chic, I am a First Aid Responder back home and standby in such incidents to help regardless of the country I'm in.

You wouldn't begrudge that would you Chic, especially if it was you under the wheel of the car?

Edited by WaiLai

It's amazing how often discussions on TV "sound" like they're being conducted by a few old ladies nattering over the fence, punctuated by "tsk, tsk."

Ladies-Chatting-Over-Fence.jpg

The old generation longstay tourists have such a totally boring live that they act like old tarts all the time. These poor guys really should wear dresses.

Well actually Chic, I am a First Aid Responder back home and standby in such incidents to help regardless of the country I'm in.

You wouldn't begrudge that would you Chic, especially if it was you under the wheel of the car?

And has no-one told you never to get involved in Thai accidents?

You are close in your guesswork; many locals don't have a licence.

Edited by kanook

And has no-one told you never to get involved in Thai accidents?

Sorry, but no. Assess and respond showing your credentials, wait to be asked to assist.

It's amazing how often discussions on TV "sound" like they're being conducted by a few old ladies nattering over the fence, punctuated by "tsk, tsk."

Nice pic! ...and the point of your comment was? Throwing darts is such an easy game to play.

You are close in your guesswork; many locals don't have a licence.

Not only don't drivers have a licence but very common around our way, Hang Dong,and i guess all over, to see 13,14 15 years olds ( I know the families hence their ages) riding motor cycles not only in the village but on Hang Dong Rd, the highway of death. Sometimes 3 to a bike.

Of course if police patrolled the highways and by ways this could stop overnight but there is no will and as for the parents letting them do it words escape me.

In about the last three weeks, the roads have gone from bad to worse. A Mercedes rear ending another Mercedes, on the north side of the moat, seemed to tip-off this years death race. I've also noticed a number of trashpackers on rental motorcycles that are going out of their way to mimick Thai road skills. Even a few shirtless, but all clueless....driving 60-70 on side sois, not stopping at all at intersections, and of course backing up without looking. Lots of fresh bandages around Tha Phae and Nimman...usually, only at the airport does that really stand out. You always hear "living the dream;" seems to be many "dying the dream."

What really blows my mind is if your walking around a crowded market and someone just brushes against you,they apologize immediately. Most of the time people just go about their business as usual and never touch each other.Put them behind the wheel of a car and it seems they've all had lobotomies or at least brain dead. I'm sure we could give a 100 examples of this without thinking . They are totally clueless! The ones that do have a license probably paid 1500b for it.

I just got out of the hospital today. My wife and I were slammed into at 5 in the morning yesterday on canal road near Jo's Bakery. The car driver fell asleep and veered into our lane. We broadsided it with our Naverro truck. The driver and another are in icu and the third died next to me in the emergency room. All Thai Yai. 22,25 and 28 years old.

Very sorry to hear this, and my best wishes for you and your wife's fast recovery !

~o:37;

Very sorry to hear this, and my best wishes for you and your wife's fast recovery !

Thanks Orang37. All were drunk.

Edited by FarmerJoe

The old generation longstay tourists have such a totally boring live that they act like old tarts all the time. These poor guys really should wear dresses.

What are two "manly men" such as yourself doing reading this thread, let alone commenting on it? Your sexual insecurity is showing, gentlemen.

Thanks Orang37. All were drunk.

That is terrible FarmerJoe, and it goes to show what could happen to any of us any moment we are on the road. I drive by that spot every day. Best wishes to you and your wife. Let's hope the two survivors in the other car also recover, and will have learned a lesson.