CCCIF urge Thai media to report accurately on illegal fishing

webfact

CCCIF urge Thai media to report accurately on illegal fishing

BANGKOK, 23 December 2015 (NNT) - The Command Center for Combating Illegal Fishing (CCCIF) has expressed concern over recent reports on illegal fishing, urging members of the press to ensure accuracy so as to avoid misunderstandings in foreign media.

CCCIF Spokesperson Vice Admiral Jumpol Lumpikanon said that foreign journalists may report incorrect details gathered from Thai news. He said these reports can affect the European Union’s decision whether to ban seafood from Thailand.

He has urged the Thai media to foster a better understanding of Thailand in the global community by shifting to stories on Thai culture and how Thais earn a living. The CCCIF has said that it is committed to protecting national interests, but admits it may take a while to achieve results.

Meanwhile, fisheries in Songkhla province have been asked to cooperate with the authorities to ensure Thailand’s full compliance with the EU regulations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-23 footer_n.gif

"Please continue quoting the government line on this subject" or more simply put "continue with the lies so we don't get in trouble with those bothersome foreigners."

In any case, I think you will find that many, if not most, foreign journalists do not believe what is printed in the local press in the current climate. They will most likely get their information independently.

He has urged the Thai media to foster a better understanding of Thailand in the global community by shifting to stories on Thai culture and how Thais earn a living.

Well some Thais make a very nice living off of the backs of other's enslavement. Or would you prefer the International press not be privy to that fact?

"Please continue quoting the government line on this subject" or more simply put "continue with the lies so we don't get in trouble with those bothersome foreigners."

In any case, I think you will find that many, if not most, foreign journalists do not believe what is printed in the local press in the current climate. They will most likely get their information independently.

As do the increasingly critical posters on this forum. Local media? Not so much.

Be careful what you print because a foreign journalist might misunderstand and use that as a reason to ban seafood from Thailand. So basically this means that Thai journalists need to only say good things and don't report when a slave is washed up on shore or found starving after his escape. Do they really think a foreign journalist would believe any news reported from a Thai journalist? Given the stuff the gov releases like that nice survey showing 99% of the people are happy with the current gov I don't think anyone would believe any news reported in a Thai news service.

Be careful what you print because a foreign journalist might misunderstand and use that as a reason to ban seafood from Thailand. So basically this means that Thai journalists need to only say good things and don't report when a slave is washed up on shore or found starving after his escape. Do they really think a foreign journalist would believe any news reported from a Thai journalist? Given the stuff the gov releases like that nice survey showing 99% of the people are happy with the current gov I don't think anyone would believe any news reported in a Thai news service.

How dare you say that? And 99.8% of TV members agree with my sentiment (you being the 0.2%).

I hope the EU hits them with sanctions but when big money is involved things are not what they seem.

What happened to the aviation warnings from EASA, don't worry about that but hey, here are some Airbus brochures.

This is slavery I hope it is seen differently.

Edited by Oziex1

Does he mean accurately like the govt pole suggesting 99.3% of Thais are happy with the government.

Ok then. 99.3% of the military are happy that slaves are used in the fishing industry and that they receive backhanders and 0.7% didnt know fish came from the ocean.

'He has urged the Thai media to foster a better understanding of Thailand in the global community by shifting to stories on Thai culture and how Thais earn a living. The CCCIF has said that it is committed to protecting national interests, but admits it may take a while to achieve results'

Even in a government of buffoons and liars this bloke stands out as special, it's very, very scary he is in a position of power with the ability to make decisions when it is obvious he aint exactly the sharpest arrow in the quiver....

Edited by mark131v

I really wonder what would happen to a Thai investigative reporter (if such a beast exists) if he published a story showing the real picture of the fishing and fish processing industries. Surely he would be in for attitude adjustment before being released to face a defamation suit.

GAHH! The "Command Center for Combating Illegal Fishing" is telling Thai Newspapers to report on other things than fishing?!!! So that is how to "combat" illegal fishingcheesy.gifgigglem.gif

Did the guy even realize how utterly strange that sounds?

Edited by AlQaholic

These abuses of labour in the fishing industry have been going on for years. The only thing the Junta can be blamed for is not doing enough about it.

But why, after all this time, does it only become an issue after the coup ?. I don't remember the EU or Thai press making anything at all of it under Pheu-Thai.

Why might that be ?.

It stinks more than the fish.

These abuses of labour in the fishing industry have been going on for years. The only thing the Junta can be blamed for is not doing enough about it.

But why, after all this time, does it only become an issue after the coup ?. I don't remember the EU or Thai press making anything at all of it under Pheu-Thai.

Why might that be ?.

What a sad blinkered person you are John...

Does this deflection mean you actually agree with the admiral in charge and only stuff about Thai culture and other pink and fluffy stuff should be printed by the press

Oh by the way, all this but, but ,but stuff you keep coming out with aint half boring, personally I think that stink's more than the fish...

The Junta stole power and it just so happens when they did they took responsibility for what's going on and all that entails, they are in the hot seat for the last year and half so it's about time they started doing what they promised, either that or bugger off and let somebody else have a go...

There's some merit in what the CCCIF have said. This article looks at the steps the government has taken over the last eight months. Hardly sitting on their hands.

The Race to Save Thailand’s Seafood Export Industry

This glowing (one might say, gushing) report completely at odds with the fact that their chief police official responsible for the seeking out and bringing to book human traffickers found it necessary to flee for his life, wouldn't you say?

Why might that be ?.

Does it stink more than the slavery, John?

Why might that be ?.

Not to difficult for a person with minimal intelligence to see EJ.

"But why after all this time, dose it become an issue after the coup?" Have politicians/Navy/military/mafia, all been involved in the slave trade? YES,,,

Did your hero uncle Too say he would fight the corruption and fix the country? YES,,,

Has he insisted on an internal investigation on the now infamous park and not allow independent and transparent investigations, and prosecute those that call for them? YES

Is there still forced labor in the seafood industry? YES,

Is the government complaining that international media are twisting the facts? YES, is the CCCIF telling the local media not to report on the issue but report on Thai culture instead? YES... Now then Popit you understand why there is a problem.