Star a buisiness girlfriends name but can I own the stock?

Kenny202

Considering starting some sort of small business. Maybe 200k thb start up stock. It won't be a company or anything like that but essentially I can't own a business or company here. I would like to protect myself though. Can I rent the business premises in my name thus giving me some control and if I keep receipts for purchases of stock would that legally be mine?

Edited by Kenny202

Your thinking needs adjustment. By signing a lease or buying stock in your own name you provide evidence that more likely than not you are working without a work permit.

You really need to think this venture through a bit more.

any suggestions welcome?

Some sort of food business may be an option. Obviously I can't or won't partake in any form of work in the actual restaurant apart from maybe sit there. Am I for example legally able to pick stuff up from the market? Help unload pick up? Drive missus to and from restaurant with supplies. What exactly are the rules?

Your thinking needs adjustment. By signing a lease or buying stock in your own name you provide evidence that more likely than not you are working without a work permit.

When I came here I was single, ran a business successfully.

Got married, carried on as normal. Split up, nothing changed, the business kept going for 7 years with me solely in charge.

I knew the police quite well, so things ran smoothly with them.

The one thing you have to look out for is jealousy. If a Thai person, or believe it or not, another farang, has a similar business near to you, and is not doing as well as you, it is highly likely that a phone call will be made to the authorities.

If the authorities decide to take any action, you could find yourself with serious problems.

The definition of work is, "exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits".

This definition means the anything at all can be considered work if the Ministry of Labour deems it so.

That's not the problem however. The problem will be the jealous types who could complain about you. This might happen if you are successful and visibly doing well for yourselves.

Got married, carried on as normal. Split up, nothing changed, the business kept going for 7 years with me solely in charge.

The one thing you have to look out for is jealousy. If a Thai person, or believe it or not, another farang, has a similar business near to you, and is not doing as well as you, it is highly likely that a phone call will be made to the authorities.

If the authorities decide to take any action, you could find yourself with serious problems.

I'm on a retirement visa so have no intention of compromising myself and there is jealousy here everywhere. I live in a main Isaan city with a large immigration office and the market we propose to work at is very high profile.

I'm on a retirement visa so have no intention of compromising myself and there is jealousy here everywhere. I live in a main Isaan city with a large immigration office and the market we propose to work at is very high profile.
I live in the same Isaan city, but I had a different kind of business.

If you are talking about a market, which would be all Thais, you would stick out like a sore thumb, and it would be very risky to show any involvement.

If you are talking about a market, which would be all Thais, you would stick out like a sore thumb, and it would be very risky to show any involvement.

like I said, if anything I'll be just sitting there. Won't do a thing. Is that ok?

like I said, if anything I'll be just sitting there. Won't do a thing. Is that ok?

It is easy to say you will just sit there, but if help is needed, say, as in heavy lifting, it would be in your nature to lend a hand. I cannot see you just sitting there if a full pickup needed to be unloaded.

If you are just sitting there, you are serving no purpose anyway.

Buy the stock and leave your missus to her own devices.

Nothing wrong in popping by to see how things are going, but sitting there all day would draw too much attention for your own good.

If the authorities were alerted, you are not looking at a slap on the wrist, but something far more severe.

It depends where you sit. If you sit on the business side of the counter for extended periods, an inference could be drawn that you are exerting control or influence in the business.

Sitting on the customer side of the counter is fine though. Farangs are renowned for doing that.