Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

I've started wondering what the backlash to all this will be.

Burma are going to go apesh!t (see all the anti-Thai posts and memes by many Burmese on Facebook) and I have to wonder what Obarmy and that dick Kerry are going to come up with, apart from the EU and other countries. And then there's Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and I'm sure many more NGOs.

I suspect we shall see some real problems thrown in Thailand's lap in the next few weeks - I wonder if the country can survive this for a prolonged period. I suspect it will turn inwards and become even more xenophobic ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come April I will be voting with my heels and wallet in opposition to this farcical place of usery, deceit , conceit and corruption.

Someone else can take my seat in this 3 ring "cluster - f"

My first few years here were lovely but what it was has gone down the sewer drain now.

This verdict and the past 2 years of chaos, incompetence and empty promises has left me feeling impotent and "dirty by association".

It will be good riddance come April.

You obviously don't feel that strongly about things if your waiting until April.

Funny shit, waiting till April.. seems your blaming Thailand for your own mess

Of course we leave on the date of our return flight. Is that difficult to understand? Who said I had a mess on my hands? Some might describe you as a presumptuous twit.

Stay focussed on the issues not the poster. In fact, quit trolling for your own jollies!

I think I'll scroll back through the previous 20 pages to se what you have contributed to this forum aside from a poster attack.

think I will find anything from you or those who liked your comment?

Edited by WaiLai

So their translator didn't speak Thai, or was the translator paid off by the police, or maybe Reptilian overlords or the Illuminati for the purpose of lying to the victim's family in a hundred person conspiracy to protect some 20 year old bad boy son of a village chief?

Or was it the chemtrails or gamma rays that made their translator spout out goon babble to them?

Do you really think the parents were sitting in court without a translator, nodding their head at a foreign, tonal language they didn't speak but they thought they'd get the gist of it by osmosis.

I'm not a fan of ad hominem attacks but if you believe that, your rock is missing you.

In search of actual factual information I clicked on the link about the phone the police recovered from the suspect's house. My mistake. It did not belong to the female victim, it belonged to Mr. Miller, the male murder victim.

That's some excellent exculpatory evidence. No wonder you're so puzzled that they were convicted.

The other points I brought up don't prove murder, they put them at the scene of the crime, right before the crime. The video evidence of them going to 7-11 to buy beer and cigarettes links them to the cigarette butts on the beach near the scene of the crime which makes it harder for conspiracy theorists to say the police wiped the butts on the two non-smokers to frame them. The buying beer shows they were drinking, something that happens quite often before most rapey behavior.

Enlighten me as why the victims parents, who actually witnessed the trial and saw the evidence, the actual evidence and not the couple paragraphs of poorly translated and filtered Thenglish you read in the Bangkok Post, are satisfied with the DNA evidence but you're not.

Are they stupid, ignorant, were they offered a big brown envelop, did the BIB hook a car battery up to Mr Miller's nutsack and threaten him ?

Complaining and criticizing is easy, coming up with a more plausible explanation is evidently much more difficult. If one was posted here I missed it in the high noise to signal thread.

I'm not siding with the cops, I'm not telling people to quit their bitching, I'm asking for better answers but unfortunately, none are forthcoming.

17 pages of "Thailand sucks" but little discussion about the fact that the family of the male victim said they were convinced that the correct verdict was returned. They were at the trial, they were at the hearing and I'm sure they had a translator.

I'm curious why the people who lost a son and who were privy to more evidence and discussion about the case that everyone here put together are convinced that Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun were to two people responsible for their sons' death. If it were my son who was murdered I wouldn't be satisfied until the person responsible was caught and brought to justice. I wouldn't settle for just killing two random innocent people and calling it even. I doubt the Miller's would either. [/size]

If the two Burmese guys didn't do it, they're the unluckiest people on the planet.

There is CCTV footage of them an a third Burmese laborer on a scooter going to 7-11 to buy cigarettes and beer.

Their friend Muang Muang , on the scooter places them at the beach shortly before the murders.

Cigarette butts with their DNA was found at the scene of the crime.

Both of their DNA was found in the female victims vagina.

The female victim's telephone was found at Zaw Lin's lodging with his fingerprints on it.

They confessed. What's the point of confessing to a crime where the penalty is death?

The unspoken accusation is that some son of a rich Thai did it and his father either bought everyone off or threatened people to rig the trial.

Where's the evidence that anyone else did it? Did the public see anyone else, did cameras, did the police find any evidence linking anyone else to the crime?

Was it a perfect investigation? No. Was the crime scene secured properly? No. What the trial 100% objective and free of outside interference? Who know. Could everything have been handled better, probably. Is this a purely Thai phenomenon, absolutely not. People still discuss and second guess the Oscar Pistorius trial, the OJ trial, Michael Jackson, Phil Spector, Amanda Knox, George Zimmerman and even the Scopes "monkey" trial.

If anybody has a more convincing version of what happened, with real verifiable facts, not just pulled out of their <deleted>, I'd enjoy reading it.

"There is CCTV footage of them an a third Burmese laborer on a scooter going to 7-11 to buy cigarettes and beer."

People go in to 7/11 all day everyday and buy cigarettes and beer; how does this equate to murder?

Their friend Muang Muang , on the scooter places them at the beach shortly before the murders.

People ride scooters all day everyday; How does this equate to murder?

Cigarette butts with their DNA was found at the scene of the crime.

So they lived near the beach and were on the beach that night; how does this equate to murder?

Both of their DNA was found in the female victims vagina.

Was it? The DNA evidence is worthless; no chain of custody, no proper methodology, nonsensical "dates" and corrections on a one page report.

The female victim's telephone was found at Zaw Lin's lodging with his fingerprints on it.

No, Hannah's phone was handed to the police by one of her friends

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766270-police-clarify-koh-tao-victims-cellphone-planting/

They confessed. What's the point of confessing to a crime where the penalty is death?

Tortured into confessions? there is no evidence that they were properly interrogated.. They were taken to a so called "safe house" without any legal representation.

Seems you are the one reaching into the depths of your own <deleted>.. enjoy!

It's amazing how things can be translated/misconstrued to a naive, non Thai speaking foreigner. They don't speak Thai <deleted>, how could they encapsulate/comprehend ANYTHIN. time to crawl back under you rock

Tragically, as in almost all cases the only people who know (knew) the truth are the attackers and the victims. I still wonder about the "son of influential people" who had been in an argument with the backpackers shortly before their death, who refused to give a DNA sample, and promptly disappeared from the scene :(

There is no jury. Only one judge. And as much As I want to think the court is corrupt. It's more likely a piss poor defense. Lawyers for the most part are very unskilled and unwilling to do probono work. Court appointed lawyers are very green and inexperienced. But the good thing is they can appeal.

Do a bit of homework_ 3 judges...

I must have missed the point where the prosecution proved that the DNA they found in Hannah matched either of the two Burmese. If they raped her and then killed her then their DNA would be all over the body. I feel sick.

How can DNA be all over her? They put on condoms! DNA was found in the condom coffee1.gif

According to the BP, semen was taken from her vagina. No condoms mentioned.

I'm not making value judgements, I never said I thought it was okay they were found guilty. I'm asking questions. How did the court come to that decision. Why does the victim's parents and now his brother too think the verdict was just and correct.

These are people closer to the trial than the critics here were, they should have a better handle on reality.

All I'm asking is, why do the parents think those two are guilty and if someone here disagrees, state some convincing evidence.

So who did it Perry Mason?

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Do you think its right to condemn to death 2 men based on the flimsiest evidence? DNA evidence that cannot be supported? a CCTV of folk buying cigarettes from 7/11? A forced confession?

Instead of drinking Kool-aid and pulling your stuff out of your <deleted>...

Maybe ask some questions as to what happened to Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen's investigation, before he was removed from the investigation..

Ask why was certain leads not investigated.

I think many posters know exactly who was involved - if you missed it you must be living under a rock.

In search of actual factual information I clicked on the link about the phone the police recovered from the suspect's house. My mistake. It did not belong to the female victim, it belonged to Mr. Miller, the male murder victim.

That's some excellent exculpatory evidence. No wonder you're so puzzled that they were convicted.

The other points I brought up don't prove murder, they put them at the scene of the crime, right before the crime. The video evidence of them going to 7-11 to buy beer and cigarettes links them to the cigarette butts on the beach near the scene of the crime which makes it harder for conspiracy theorists to say the police wiped the butts on the two non-smokers to frame them. The buying beer shows they were drinking, something that happens quite often before most rapey behavior.

Enlighten me as why the victims parents, who actually witnessed the trial and saw the evidence, the actual evidence and not the couple paragraphs of poorly translated and filtered Thenglish you read in the Bangkok Post, are satisfied with the DNA evidence but you're not.

Are they stupid, ignorant, were they offered a big brown envelop, did the BIB hook a car battery up to Mr Miller's nutsack and threaten him ?

Complaining and criticizing is easy, coming up with a more plausible explanation is evidently much more difficult. If one was posted here I missed it in the high noise to signal thread.

I'm not siding with the cops, I'm not telling people to quit their bitching, I'm asking for better answers but unfortunately, none are forthcoming.

The phone they found near where to the 2 Burmese lived?

The one they cannot even prove belongs to David?

The one they cannot show with any certainty that either of the 2 Burmese men ever even touched?

The one that may have been planted at any time?

Of the one "The female victim's telephone was found at Zaw Lin's lodging with his fingerprints on it."

are you saying these men brutally murdered 2 people, went to bed, and dumped evidence connecting them to the crime right outside their living quarters? really?

"The buying beer shows they were drinking, something that happens quite often before most rapey behavior."

Are you for real?

I know 1000s of men that drink beer, as far as I know none of them resort to "rapey behavior"

I cannot speak for David's family, I've not even mentioned them once in any of my posts..

I do not know how they arrived at their beliefs.. That is their business not mine.

Can you tell me one thing that shows the 2 Burmese men murdered Hannah or David?

Anything: A witness, some credible DNA, A motive, a weapon?

Did either of the Burmese have "Shark Ring" that may have caused the wounds on David?

Having a couple of beers, and smoking a cigarette on the beach is a bit weak; are you are condemning them based on that?

The DNA evidence is worthless. no chain of custody, and no reliable testing or records.

Brother of victim says justice has been served
The Nation
KOH SAMUI, Thailand - A Thai court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death on Thursday after convicting them of the 2014 murders of two young British tourists on a holiday island.
The battered bodies of backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on a beach on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. Police said Witheridge, 23, had been raped and bludgeoned to death. Miller, 24, also suffered blows to his head.
Following weeks of pressure to solve the case, police arrested Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun.
The verdict and sentence follow an investigation and trial that triggered allegations of police incompetence, mishandling of evidence and DNA tests and torture of the suspects.
The verdicts came after 21 days of witness hearings in a trial that began in July and ended in October.
The court said the DNA tests by investigators were carried out to acceptable standards and the DNA found on Witheridge matched that of the defendants.
The judge said there was no weight to the two men’s claims that they had been tortured.
Miller’s family flew to Thailand for the verdict. His brother, Michael, delivered a statement to reporters outside the court and said justice had been delivered, adding that the two men had shown no remorse for what they had done.
"We believe what happened today represents justice for Hannah and David," said Miller. "The Royal Thai Police conducted a thorough and methodical investigation ... evidence against the two was overwhelming."
Witheridge’s family said the trial had been distressing.
"We found listening to proceedings very challenging and we have had to endure a lot of painful and confusing information," the family said in a statement.
"We now need time, as a family, to digest the outcome of the trial and figure out the most appropriate way to tell our story."
The mother of one of the defendants broke down in tears as the judge passed sentence in the court on Samui island, close to Koh Tao.
Defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat told reporters that the defendants would file an appeal within a month.
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-24

If indeed the DNA found on Witheridge matched that of the defendants then I would conclude that they were indeed guilty as charged ! The questions here concern credibility, competence in the investigation, and integrity.

Just as I thought!

21 pages of postings and not a single one of you and your clan of "likers" have posted a comment worthy of the topic.

Great poster attack Mick!

Admirable social skills.

Wonder what you really think of the post topic?

post-248586-0-01740000-1450962773_thumb.

The Nation
KOH SAMUI, Thailand - A Thai court sentenced two Myanmar migrant workers to death on Thursday after convicting them of the 2014 murders of two young British tourists on a holiday island.
The battered bodies of backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on a beach on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. Police said Witheridge, 23, had been raped and bludgeoned to death. Miller, 24, also suffered blows to his head.
Following weeks of pressure to solve the case, police arrested Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun.
The verdict and sentence follow an investigation and trial that triggered allegations of police incompetence, mishandling of evidence and DNA tests and torture of the suspects.
The verdicts came after 21 days of witness hearings in a trial that began in July and ended in October.
The court said the DNA tests by investigators were carried out to acceptable standards and the DNA found on Witheridge matched that of the defendants.
The judge said there was no weight to the two men’s claims that they had been tortured.
Miller’s family flew to Thailand for the verdict. His brother, Michael, delivered a statement to reporters outside the court and said justice had been delivered, adding that the two men had shown no remorse for what they had done.
"We believe what happened today represents justice for Hannah and David," said Miller. "The Royal Thai Police conducted a thorough and methodical investigation ... evidence against the two was overwhelming."
"We found listening to proceedings very challenging and we have had to endure a lot of painful and confusing information," the family said in a statement.
"We now need time, as a family, to digest the outcome of the trial and figure out the most appropriate way to tell our story."
The mother of one of the defendants broke down in tears as the judge passed sentence in the court on Samui island, close to Koh Tao.
Defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat told reporters that the defendants would file an appeal within a month.
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-24

If indeed the DNA found on Witheridge matched that of the defendants then I would conclude that they were indeed guilty as charged ! The questions here concern credibility, competence in the investigation, and integrity.

Beyond reasonable doubt? The Burmese boys are innocent. Everyone knows that from the top of the Thai hierarchy downwards. Gross injustice. It leaves me cold.

The Nation
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-24

Beyond reasonable doubt? The Burmese boys are innocent. Everyone knows that from the top of the Thai hierarchy downwards. Gross injustice. It leaves me cold.

your junta support go cold too? about time!

After giving a cash reward to the police for "a perfect investigation" there could only be one verdict. I left Thailand after 15 years and after the coup as it was obvious to me that this coup was different and the General was never going to be going anywhere. I'm so glad I did leave. I have to go back one more time to sort some stuff out but that's me finished with this beautiful yet corrupt country. Thankfully I am in a position where I can choose somewhere else. Back to Pipa, Brazil, for me!

They had to be found guilty. If not it would be a massive loss of face for the PM who congratulated the police.

Seems justice is not only blind but also deaf, dumb, corrupt and willing to do anything to find a convenient truth as well.

Nothing new then ?, unless some of us would be so naive...And as I have read in some posts, some really are... !!!

Best regards.

September 25, 2014

“Pol Gen Somyot pointed to groundless reports posted on social media that obstructed the investigation and confused the investigators.”

We haven't targeted anyone and have not concluded whether the murderers are still in the area,'' he said.”

“The mystery surrounding the identities of the killers had grown over reports, which he denied, that a suspect had fled the island and was hiding in Bangkok."

"I was surprised at the news.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-blame-koh-tao-probe-delays-on-social-media-48872.php

Yet, two days prior:

September 23, 2014

“Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists.”

“One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.”

“Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.”

“The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.”

“Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-9751056.html

September 23, 2014

“The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.”

“Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.”

“He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.”

“He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.”

“He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman. But he has already to Bangkok.”

“He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.”

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

September 30, 2014

“A Thai man said he was beaten up by police after he turned down a police offer of reward money if he agreed to be a witness in the murder case of two British tourists in Thailand’s tourist island of Koh Tao, southern Surat Thani Province”

“Pornprasit said the police detained him at 1.30 pm on Monday.”

“During the interrogation, the police investigators asked him to agree to pretend to have knowledge of the incident, Pornprasit said.”

“The police allegedly offered him a 700,000 baht reward and guaranteed him witness status.”

“However, since he was not involved with the crime and did not have any knowledge related to it, Pornprasit declined the police offer.”

“That made the police angry, he said.”

“The police allegedly beat him up before releasing him on Monday at 6.30 pm.”

http://prachatai.org/english/node/4373

October 2, 2014

“Prasit brought the issue up with Assawin sae-Phoo, head of local taxi drivers on the tourist island, citing "fear for his life after turning down the offer".

"Assawin later took Prasit's complaint to Korbchai Saowalak, the kamnan of tambon Koh Tao.”

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-promised-cash-reward-to-buy-false-testimony-30244573.html

October 30, 2014

“Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumphanmuang today warned of tough legal action for anyone who posted false information on the social network criticizing the handling of the Koh Tao murder case by the police which he said could cause rift and a threat to economy.”

“Pol Gen Somyot, however, made clear that the DNA test on the son would have no impact on the police case file which has been finished with all circumstantial and forensic evidence submitted to the prosecutor for indictment of the two Myanmar suspects.”

“He said he has designated the computer crime suppression police to investigate and bring the poster to trial as the post has hurt tourism and economy.”

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/national-police-chief-warns-distorted-information-koh-tao-murder

November 04, 2014

Police refuse to answer torture claim

“Police handling the Koh Tao murders case have again stood up the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), which has repeatedly invited investigators to its headquarters to clear up allegations they tortured two Myanmar suspects to confess.”

“The NHRC would begin debating whether it should file a complaint against forensic police, Police Region 8 and the Metropolitan Police Bureau after the three departments failed to show up for the fourth time.”

http://www.nhrc.or.th/2012/wb/en/news_detail.php?nid=3376&parent_id=1&type=new

And of course, there is this;

September 19, 2014

"On arriving the day after the murders, the senior police officer on the island assured us the culprit could not have been a Thai person."

"No Thai could possibly commit such a crime, he said, forgetting the equally ghastly murder of Welsh tourist Katherine Horton in 2006, by, it turned out, two Thai fishermen."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29262496

Until Senior Southern Police Commander, Lt Gen Panya Mamen showed up on September 23, 2014.
And that all changed.
"He also dismissed any suggestion of local mafias or influential people that could twist the investigation with promise that local influence would pose no obstacle to the police investigation."

"Instead the police will eliminate all these mafias, he said."

Then they changed him. Transferred out.

Edited by iReason

So what sort of time scale is involved now?? As in possible appeal and date it's heard?? I would imagine it won't be soon as the Junta will want the fuss to die down....Sadly for them this time I don't think it is going to...Sure it will go quiet but the UK media are sensing a story for sure and I'm actually confident that someone will talk ! So many people actually know what's truly happened and money will change hands and one day the truth will come out..Will the B2 be around to hear it..Mmmm not sure !

Please spare time and space for families on both sides.

Some of us talk too much...

Some of us read too much...

Some of believe too much...

The truth...nobody actually knows...

15 months of willy waggling guys...thank you for your opinion, of course.

Enjoy your 'bird' tomorrow, some will not!

The Nation
nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-24

your junta support go cold too? about time!

Support? I take a balanced view based on the evidence before me. I neither support nor oppose.

September 25, 2014

“Pol Gen Somyot pointed to groundless reports posted on social media that obstructed the investigation and confused the investigators.”

We haven't targeted anyone and have not concluded whether the murderers are still in the area,'' he said.”

“The mystery surrounding the identities of the killers had grown over reports, which he denied, that a suspect had fled the island and was hiding in Bangkok."

"I was surprised at the news.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-blame-koh-tao-probe-delays-on-social-media-48872.php

Yet, two days prior:

September 23, 2014

“Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists.”

“One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.”

“Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.”

“The police chief said they were liaising with officers in the capital to try and detain the second man.”

“Police said they looking into claims Ms Witheridge and Mr Miller had argued with a Thai man in a bar before they were killed.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-9751056.html

September 23, 2014

“The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok.”

“Eighth Region Police Command commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen identified the first suspect as Mon.”

“He is the brother of a village headman in Koh Tao.”

“He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.”

“He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman. But he has already to Bangkok.”

“He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.”

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

September 30, 2014

“A Thai man said he was beaten up by police after he turned down a police offer of reward money if he agreed to be a witness in the murder case of two British tourists in Thailand’s tourist island of Koh Tao, southern Surat Thani Province”

“Pornprasit said the police detained him at 1.30 pm on Monday.”

“During the interrogation, the police investigators asked him to agree to pretend to have knowledge of the incident, Pornprasit said.”

“The police allegedly offered him a 700,000 baht reward and guaranteed him witness status.”

“However, since he was not involved with the crime and did not have any knowledge related to it, Pornprasit declined the police offer.”

“That made the police angry, he said.”

“The police allegedly beat him up before releasing him on Monday at 6.30 pm.”

http://prachatai.org/english/node/4373

October 2, 2014

“Prasit brought the issue up with Assawin sae-Phoo, head of local taxi drivers on the tourist island, citing "fear for his life after turning down the offer".

"Assawin later took Prasit's complaint to Korbchai Saowalak, the kamnan of tambon Koh Tao.”

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-promised-cash-reward-to-buy-false-testimony-30244573.html

October 30, 2014

“Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumphanmuang today warned of tough legal action for anyone who posted false information on the social network criticizing the handling of the Koh Tao murder case by the police which he said could cause rift and a threat to economy.”

“Pol Gen Somyot, however, made clear that the DNA test on the son would have no impact on the police case file which has been finished with all circumstantial and forensic evidence submitted to the prosecutor for indictment of the two Myanmar suspects.”

“He said he has designated the computer crime suppression police to investigate and bring the poster to trial as the post has hurt tourism and economy.”

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/national-police-chief-warns-distorted-information-koh-tao-murder

November 04, 2014

Police refuse to answer torture claim

“Police handling the Koh Tao murders case have again stood up the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), which has repeatedly invited investigators to its headquarters to clear up allegations they tortured two Myanmar suspects to confess.”

“The NHRC would begin debating whether it should file a complaint against forensic police, Police Region 8 and the Metropolitan Police Bureau after the three departments failed to show up for the fourth time.”

http://www.nhrc.or.th/2012/wb/en/news_detail.php?nid=3376&parent_id=1&type=new

And of course, there is this;

September 19, 2014

"On arriving the day after the murders, the senior police officer on the island assured us the culprit could not have been a Thai person."

"No Thai could possibly commit such a crime, he said, forgetting the equally ghastly murder of Welsh tourist Katherine Horton in 2006, by, it turned out, two Thai fishermen."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29262496

Until Senior Southern Police Commander, Lt Gen Panya Mamen showed up on September 23, 2014.
And that all changed.
"He also dismissed any suggestion of local mafias or influential people that could twist the investigation with promise that local influence would pose no obstacle to the police investigation."

"Instead the police will eliminate all these mafias, he said."

Then they changed him. Transferred out.

Well documented. I've been doing the same for a year.

Doesn't do much for "saving face" though.

Who gives a sh*t about the "face" of liars, cheats, egocentric misfits?

I have every sympathy for the tragic losses suffered by the victims' families but this is nothing but self delusion. Since when has the RTP ever conducted thorough and methodical investigations or does extracting confessions under torture and letting suspects wander all over the unsealed off crime scene qualify? Sending two quite possibly innocent men to the gallows will not bring back their loved ones.

I wonder if they will still come out with a statement expressing awe and admiration of the BiB and the court, if the 2B are acquitted by the appellate or supreme court which are more stalwart and will be under less political pressure, particularly if the junta is no longer in power by then.

Edited by Dogmatix

There is really no point in discussing this at all, even with the eyes of the world on them Thailand still went ahead and went super Thai on the Burmese guys.

Despite no evidence against them they never had a hope in hell of being found not guilty. If these poor boys wanted justice they were in the wrong country for it. The only way they would ever have seen their families or the light of day again would have been to plead guilty to a horrific crime they didn't commit.

I really hope I, nor my family, ever find myself at the mercy of Thailand's justice system.

The only thing they were ever guilty of was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

RIP lads.

There is no jury. Only one judge. And as much As I want to think the court is corrupt. It's more likely a piss poor defense. Lawyers for the most part are very unskilled and unwilling to do probono work. Court appointed lawyers are very green and inexperienced. But the good thing is they can appeal.

Do a bit of homework_ 3 judges...

there is one senior judge and two juniors, one of whom was replaced near the end of the trial, so that the replacement had only heard a fraction of the evidence. Effectively there is one judge with two assistants.