Long overstay

Sorry for hijacking this post, i am currently overstaying by 22 months but will leaving the country next month as i have just received some bad news. Already been in contact with BKK IMM regarding this. My old and new passport are at Lopburi IMM (long story). Both said that i need to pay 20000 bhat fine (again) at departure, my passport will be stamped OVERSTAYED. On my return trip hopefully that i need to reapply for a new passport with a new visa. Now i am fearing the worst that i will be banned. Any advice anyone, much appreciated - thank you in advance

Under current rules and laws you have nothing to worry about, other than 20k, assuming you make it to a border and don't get arrested.

However, new rules are reportedly being finalised in March so it is possible (unlikely as I believe it will need 60 days beyond that before becoming enforceable) that the new proposed bans will be applied in April. Once the new rules are in place a 1 year plus overstay will be banned for 3 years, or 10 years if arrested. If less than 1 year it's 1 year and 5 years respectively.

Suggest you exit before March.

So if you overstay by a week you get banned. For A year ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What will happen to Short Overstay that's not clear yet, but IMO a week overstay is not short. 1-2 days oke but a week.

With all the gadgets available to people nowadays and they all have a calendar entering a date (with an alarm to warn you) is not that hard.

However if you get ill etc then it's different but then you have valid reasons, forgetting to go is NOT

• Like 2

So if you overstay by a week you get banned. For A year ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• If surrendering at the border then there is no ban for the first 90 days.
  • If arrested the proposed rules can be interpreted two ways. But it's likely that the same 90 day grace period will apply.

No one should overstay while that is agreed upon by everyone.

Personally after 27 years in Thailand I am 99 % certain the new laws will not be harshly enforced.

Without a doubt a small percent of people will suffer the wrath of over zealous officials and then, given time, it will more or less fade away into a new twist on corrupted immigration regulations and laws.

You will see..... while it turns into a new way to generate money for immigration officials that will fudge the numbers while the official penalties will be waived.... for a fee...for a price...as per usual

I may be wrong but it seems that or a version of that is what always develops, sooner or later.

Meantime try to not overstay as you may get caught up in the beginning of the new order

Cheers

• Like 2

Again I really don't care not affected by overstayers never likely to be. My humble opinion to the OP is to leave before these new rules come in (if indeed they do) wait a couple of days and come back in whatever YOU decide good luck and seasons greetings

• Like 2

Based on the growing number of noob posts by overstayers, I would hope that Thai Immigration would make a very public overstay amnesty offer in the New Year where they would waive any and all fines regardless of how long the current overstay. That would allow the huge amount of current overstayers a very last chance to get their act together and depart. This would also enable those with obvious reading and/or genuine financial difficulties to 'get out of jail, free'. Give them the whole of January to get 20k baht and get legal or get lost.

Then, after enacting the new 'overstay and get fined, jailed and banned' regulations in March, anyone pleading ignorance, lack of cash, medical difficulties, the dog ate my passport or whatever lame excuse they can pull out of their bums, can learn the real meaning of som nam nah.

Rather confusing post--you say an amnesty which would waive all fines, then you say give them the whole of January to get the B20k.

Since I believe you intended "get out of jail free" policy, let me ask you this:

Do you really think Thailand wants any foreigner who cannot pay B20k--what possible legal good are they to Thailand?

Why do you bother so much you don't know why Thailand wants you mean what you want very elites snob post

• Like 1

Do you really think Thailand wants any foreigner who cannot pay B20k--what possible legal good are they to Thailand?

Well they'd be leaving obviously. Then if they came back they'd presumably be maintaining a legal visa status of some kind, or going to a cheaper country.

I don't think Thailand really 'wants' any of us long term outsiders - I don't see it heavily advertising for immigration. Do you really think it particularly 'wants' you?

But we're accepted and permitted to stay if we qualify for a visa and stay on it.

Edited by jspill

Based on the growing number of noob posts by overstayers, I would hope that Thai Immigration would make a very public overstay amnesty offer in the New Year where they would waive any and all fines regardless of how long the current overstay. That would allow the huge amount of current overstayers a very last chance to get their act together and depart. This would also enable those with obvious reading and/or genuine financial difficulties to 'get out of jail, free'. Give them the whole of January to get 20k baht and get legal or get lost.

Then, after enacting the new 'overstay and get fined, jailed and banned' regulations in March, anyone pleading ignorance, lack of cash, medical difficulties, the dog ate my passport or whatever lame excuse they can pull out of their bums, can learn the real meaning of som nam nah.

Rather confusing post--you say an amnesty which would waive all fines, then you say give them the whole of January to get the B20k.

Since I believe you intended "get out of jail free" policy, let me ask you this:

Why do you bother so much you don't know why Thailand wants you mean what you want very elites snob post

Why, thank you. Gee, you think it is just me who believes the Thais want foreigners who are financially stable?

It is Thai immigration policy to require proof of financial substance for any foreigners staying here. Any foreigner who meets the financial requirements the Thais impose should be able to post the B20k.

I read somewhere that they want to impose jail time...1 week and up for overstays now longer than 30 days. You will still have to pay the 20,000, but will spend a week or more in jail before heading home.

There was a 2010 news story about that, maybe that was it http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/400387-thai-immigration-introduces-jail-time-for-overstayers/

One of many announcements that came to nothing.

I read somewhere that they want to impose jail time...1 week and up for overstays now longer than 30 days. You will still have to pay the 20,000, but will spend a week or more in jail before heading home.

I think you'll find that's baseless rumour. The law already allows for overstayers to be locked up so if they wanted to apply that they would have done so already. Imposing jail time would involve the courts. 20k is the maximum allowed but it would likely be a lesser fine via a judge. Given the number of overstayers it would impractical and a organisational nightmare to start locking them up.

If this enforcement will come around in April, don't you think that the people on overstay have enough notice to get their stuff in order?

Why do you want the Thai government to give them more time and give them a out of jail card?

Why don't you play monopoly and enjoy yourself!

Issues regarding the ethics & motivation for overstay notwithstanding, a couple of important caveats (and the longer the overstay the more important they are, even under the current enforcement practices:

* An overstay ending in an arrest is going to be distinctly less enjoyable and more likely to result in unfavorable long-term consequencies (like blacklisting or being banned or just denied entry at some future date) than voluntary departure with payment of fine at the airport

* Particularly WRT to long overstays, I don't believe anyone can say with certainty just how an IO will handle you at some future date when you show up wanting to enter with that in your record (and contrary to what some might tell you, I don't actually bet the farm on an IO not being able to access your history, even if you've renewed your passport, and the new one is clean)

All that said, I think the advice you're getting from most here is sound - settle up and leave now. Continuing your overstay is a game of diminishing returns...

Well they'd be leaving obviously. Then if they came back they'd presumably be maintaining a legal visa status of some kind, or going to a cheaper country.

I don't think Thailand really 'wants' any of us long term outsiders - I don't see it heavily advertising for immigration. Do you really think it particularly 'wants' you?

But we're accepted and permitted to stay if we qualify for a visa and stay on it.

Good point, do the Thais really want any of us? I think they tolerate us, if we can add to their economy.

Thailand, like most other countries welcomes foreign direct or indirect investment; they also welcome tourists who spend hard currencies on Thai products and services to bolster the Thai economy. A residual effect from tourism is the expat hanger-on; those who stay longer than tourists and may even inter-marry into Thai society.

Thailand immigration policy places minimums for acceptable levels of financial assets for these expats based on several identifying criteria. Any expat who legally meets Thailand’s financial requirements should be able to come up with the B20k overstay fine, or any other fine imposed by Thai law to keep their presence legal and above board.

Waiving the B20k fine would give those who cannot afford to be here a chance to stay longer. I doubt Thailand wants that. Instead they tolerate those who have enough to spend hard currency on Thai products and services.

• Like 2

If this enforcement will come around in April, don't you think that the people on overstay have enough notice to get their stuff in order?

Why do you want the Thai government to give them more time and give them a out of jail card?

I think Thailand sees overstay in itself as a minor administrative infraction - it's whether or not people are committing a higher class of crime while on overstay that matters. They would probably be quite amused to learn there's a forum full of old westerners in Issan who react with anger towards overstay in and of itself.

Thailand IMHO just wants to improve security, tie up loose ends and have everyone on a valid visa so they can continue to make checks on people when they go for renewals and extensions.

They care about this infinitely more than the money from each person's 20k, and giving an amnesty would give people a chance to get out and come back in again legally rather than being caught at a later date and banned, and possibly having some Thai dependants somewhere suffer as a result.

• Like 1

I think Thailand sees overstay in itself as a minor administrative infraction - it's whether or not people are committing a higher class of crime while on overstay that matters. They would probably be quite amused to learn there's a forum full of old westerners in Issan who react with anger towards overstay in and of itself.

Thailand IMHO just wants to improve security, tie up loose ends and have everyone on a valid visa so they can continue to make checks on people when they go for renewals and extensions.

They care about this infinitely more than the money from each person's 20k, and giving an amnesty would give people a chance to get out and come back in again legally rather than being caught at a later date and banned, and possibly having some Thai dependants somewhere suffer as a result.

As long as they do better than UK - where there is no record of people leaving -- only arrivals......

• Like 1