Thailand's Hottest Year on Record

Acharn

Google finds plenty of sites talking about the hottest day, or the hottest day of the year, but I haven't been able to find a quick answer to, "When was the hottest year on record in Thailand." Today, my niece commented that the weather is very hot for December. Now I've been living here just about as long as she's been alive, and it seems perfectly normal to me. I've seen many Decembers where there were no really cold days. The nights haven't been real cold, but sometimes down to, like, 17°. But I remember there was one year, back in the '90s, which I always think of as "the year without Winter." It was also a year in which there was frequent reference to "the strongest el Nino on record." Well, this year we're supposedly having a strong el Nino, too, so maybe that's related. My problem is, Google tells me the strongest el Nino on record was 1998, and I felt sure the hot year was earlier than that. I had thought it was probably around 1993, but was unsure. I also remember that late in the year Scientific American ran an article on the el Nino phenomenon, but their online archives don't go that far back. Anybody remember for sure? Anybody know a source I can check? Thai Meteorological Dept.?

Edited by Acharn

My detailed scientific investigation says that I felt bleedin' hot and sticky when outdoors in Jomtien most of this year. I didn't like it and was glad that my condo air-con works well.

If this is a permanent trend then I will probably end up moving.

I look at weather underground for historic weather information.

For Chiang Mai today (26th Dec) it says the record high was in 2003 at 31 C

The current temperature is shown as 32 C

I've been watching this month and many days had a record high of 30 C, but the maximum this year is 33 C so it must be a record year. This is significantly higher than normal.

Some of the days this month are now showing 2015 as a record high days. Have a look at the 24th December - along with the minimum temperature. The overnight temperature is some 7 C higher than the average for this time of year.

I look at weather underground for historic weather information.

For Chiang Mai today (26th Dec) it says the record high was in 2003 at 31 C

The current temperature is shown as 32 C

I've been watching this month and many days had a record high of 30 C, but the maximum this year is 33 C so it must be a record year. This is significantly higher than normal.

Some of the days this month are now showing 2015 as a record high days. Have a look at the 24th December - along with the minimum temperature. The overnight temperature is some 7 C higher than the average for this time of year.

I believe that the temperatures are taken as an average over a 24 hour period.

In other words the overnight lows have to be taken into the acternoon highs for the true average.

In other words the overnight lows have to be taken into the acternoon highs for the true average.

Nope, it is the average lowest temperature over the past few years not average over the day.

Nope, it is the average lowest temperature over the past few years not average over the day.

Very interesting stuff. Can you provide further details?

1281, I remember it as it was yesterday.

That's nice. What calendar does it refer to? Thai? Caesarian? Gregorian? Chinese? Hebrew? Zoroastrian? Indian? Mayan? Cherokee?

Edited by Acharn

My detailed scientific investigation says that I felt bleedin' hot and sticky when outdoors in Jomtien most of this year. I didn't like it and was glad that my condo air-con works well.

That's nice.

Cool season lasted about 48 hours this past week.

Yes, that's been pretty common over the last 30+ years. My first year back from overseas we had moved up on the Khorat Plateau, an area that later was made Amphoe Wang Nam Khiaw. On December 31, 1982, the temperature at 4:00 AM was 4° C. Haven't seen it that cold since, even in Chiang Rai. The year I'm talking about I was living in Bangkok and in December and then January I don't think the night-time temperature ever went below 30°. Other months were correspondingly hotter.

El nino. Climate change fear mongers.

Yes, I think this year's relatively warm temperatures are probably due to the el Nino in the Pacific, although I haven't kept track of when it actually started. What does your second incomplete sentence have to do with your first incomplete sentence? And what does either incomplete sentence have to do with the topic? Is there no place where I can find the average temperature over an entire year for a specific country?

So far this winter here hasnt been cool coldest has been 19.5c, I do remember about 2-3 years ago though I woke up to 13 c and thats down at Pranburi, the hottest time was about 2 years ago when 42.3 occurred

El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO)

1997 was the strongest El Nino recording a +2.0OC temperature trend anomaly. The current El Nino is tracking at +1.7OC. Exceeding the 1982 El Nino which recorded +1.5OC trend anomaly. 2015 El Nino has recorded the highest surface temperature record at 30.3OC.

NOAA is the peak authority tracking El Nino data and reported in November - December that modelling expects the 2015 El Nino should start to weaken around Spring early Summer (Northern Hemisphere) 2016. NOAA provides a weekly report on El Nino here

Global Warming will be adding a slight amount of heat to El Nino. Only 3% of heat generated by burning of Fossil Fuels remains in the atmosphere. 97% of the heat is absorbed into the Oceans. Adding to the intensity of El Nino and making La Nina Southern Oscillation a less cooling effect.

Thailand Meteorological Department reports yearly data during February of each year and recorded 2014 as the hottest year on record when compared to average temperatures 1981 - 2010. Some VERY low temperatures were recorded during 2014. The minimum temperature was 4.7 °C at Umphang in Tak province on January 24 and -1.7°C in the area of mountain top at Phu Kradueng Nation Park in Loei province on January 23

post-166188-0-91842800-1451217653_thumb.

Currently November 2015 is recording +2.0OC above normal average temperatures.

2014 HOT! 2015 HOT!

So I guess the year I remember must have been 1997. Well, there were other reasons I thought it must have been earlier. I didn't think 2014 was particularly hot, nor was 2015, although April and May were pretty bad both years and I expect will be next year, too.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the average year on year temps, it was this year, by such a longshot. In ten years, I have never experienced heat like this, and have never experienced a november to january that barely cooled down. I usually get so excited about this time of year, due to the cooler temps. Not this year. El Nino has been visiting the entire country, it seems.

we live in Jomtien on the 8 th floor of a building, and haven't used any A/C since we moved here last October.

We however use a fan, blowing into the room from the balcony, on the sun-opposed side of the building.

at daytime, yes one should stay out of the sun. Some locations in Patty and Jomtien might not get sufficient breeze which could be why you feel it's hot and humid.

Maybe you should try a different location nearby, btw we are at Dongtan Beach

Think as of it being Feng Shui . . .it describes corridors in the landscape that receive most of the breeze while other places remain unscatted

Edited by crazygreg44

we live in Jomtien on the 8 th floor of a building, and haven't used any A/C since we moved here last October.

We however use a fan, blowing into the room from the balcony, on the sun-opposed side of the building.

at daytime, yes one should stay out of the sun. Some locations in Patty and Jomtien might not get sufficient breeze which could be why you feel it's hot and humid.

Maybe you should try a different location nearby, btw we are at Dongtan Beach

Think as of it being Feng Shui . . .it describes corridors in the landscape that receive most of the breeze while other places remain unscatted

I must be just yards away from you and I live on a higher floor. My unit actually has very good cross-ventilation but I prefer to run my air-con at 28 degrees, in conjunction with two ceiling fans, as this keeps the humidity down.

I just like to be comfortable and for the thousand Baht or so it costs me every month in electricity I think I will continue the same way.

It's the outdoor temperature/humidity that I found to be higher than usual this year. Even today I found it very overcast and not like the usual January climate at all.