is painting wifes house against immigration rules?

Just paint it and drop some empty beer cans around there to make clear that you doing this for FUN not for work. That is what I would probably do.

Then you would get fined 2000 Bt for dropping litter, litter isn't just dropping fag ends and pizza wrappings.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogermoore

If i cant paint the fence,why would i want to live here?seriously? What an inane comment

There are a lot more pluses than negatives about living here.Would you move just because of a fence you cant paint?would that really drive you away?I just wanted to know if i could do it without a problem or would have to get the brother in law,next door to do it.

Next (sensible) question

DDK

Ok,everybody,i'm sorry i posted the question about the bloody fence in the first place.I didnt realise it would turn into a frenzy of

such strange emotion's.

I promise that i will never post a question about painting a fence again,never,ever. Before i do i will post the story of Tom Sawyer,by Mark Twain for everybody to read and understand.He had a nice fence!!!!

I was a professional musician back home, suppose a Thai band wanted a bass player, vocalist, and could not get a competent Thai one.

I wonder if I could get a work permit for that. Would I be taking a Thai musicians job?

There were UK and American bands working in BKK, we went to the Erawan disco, the band there did disco and funk covers, I have also bumped into Filipino jazz singers over the years in some hotel bars. I guess those kind of guys are on circuit of cruise ships and high end hotels throughout the world.

Yes, with an agents help, you should get a WP. The guys at Erawan were head and shoulders above Thai musicians - they had energy and showmanship.

I was a professional musician back home, suppose a Thai band wanted a bass player, vocalist, and could not get a competent Thai one.

I wonder if I could get a work permit for that. Would I be taking a Thai musicians job?

There were UK and American bands working in BKK, we went to the Erawan disco, the band there did disco and funk covers, I have also bumped into Filipino jazz singers over the years in some hotel bars. I guess those kind of guys are on circuit of cruise ships and high end hotels throughout the world.

Yes, with an agents help, you should get a WP. The guys at Erawan were head and shoulders above Thai musicians - they had energy and showmanship.

Yes, I understand that, but if a band in the city nearest my home who maybe play about three or four gigs a week

offered me a job, I do not think I would get a work permit for it, regardless of musical ability, I would be doing a job

that a Thai could do, even if I was a far better musician/vocalist.

Technically, YES. The criteria is "Are you taking a job away from a Thai person?" But it would take a serious enemy to dob you in. Most Thai men & women respect a falang who helps his wife around the home, The common view of farang husbands is they just sit & drink beer & watch Euro football all day.

The crime might be in getting caught helping her.

Quantum science has the answer. A bit like Schrodinger's cat. If a tree falls over in a forest and no-one is there to hear it, did it really happen at all?

Edited by The Deerhunter

Yes, I understand that, but if a band in the city nearest my home who maybe play about three or four gigs a week

offered me a job, I do not think I would get a work permit for it, regardless of musical ability, I would be doing a job

Just sayin' that's all ..

In your case probably not.

But you could argue the point and lose. I guess the reason the Filipino singers got jobs were because they had better pronunciation and wider repertoire.

There was a thread a few years ago about some guys that got together for a jam once a week, no money involved, in Chang Mai. The police stopped them.

There was a thread a few years ago about some guys that got together for a jam once a week, no money involved, in Chang Mai. The police stopped them.

I believe that, one of the reasons why I go on about the mentality of the authorities in Thailand.

Also another reason why we are not "guests" in this country, as the "we are guests in this country" brigade would have you believe.

"I am not a rude person,but i take um bridge againt people who insult without knowledge."

Sadly this forum has more than its fair share of people who do this. Perhaps they should find something better to do with their time, like painting a fence for example.

Strictly speaking you would be working illegally.

It really depends on your neighbors/others who may take pleasure from reporting someone for illegally working.

edit

removal of typo

And keep in mind that many people have good quality smartphone cameras and can very easily take some 'snaps'.

Just paint it[/quote

Yes I agree. Your not performing work for pay. Although you may be "Working", you are not working for someone it is your property and for self gratification. That would be like getting in trouble for washing your own car. Oh no !!! I better watch out, I'm cleaning my own house ! 5555

Always be willing to break laws that are ridiculous and nonsensical. We owe that ti society. Some laws are made to be broken. You are not getting paid. It is in your family. Come on.

Do what you can and think is reasonable. If you get arrested pay the fine to the police from the get go. Its cheaper that way. Do not complain. Do not go past go. Pay the money and go home as quietly as possible, then post it on Thai Visa.

I have done my own add on plumbing. I pick up rubbish outside the house every day of the week. Nobody complains about that and nobody is going to. However I live in a small village, in the middle of no particular where. The closer you are to town. The worse everything gets.

That's the way it is. Some day, maybe, Thailand government will wake up, but why? Only if it hurts their hip pocket, and nothing does that because, in the words of a leading Australian publishing magnate, "The man with the money makes the rules."

As we live on 3 rai there is lots of work to be done, my wife has no dad or brother or uncle's to do the hard work, they can not afford to pay workers to do the jobs and the kids are still young my wife and her 70 year old mum cannot do all the work on there own so it is up to me to do my share and more, will they come on our land and tell me o stop sit in a chair and watch them graft? I don't think so.

Play it safe brother. Let the wife paint the house, while you swing in the hammock and give instructions.

As a rule: Whatever a Thai citizen can do, a Farang is not allowed to do.

Keeping this in mind, any Thai would be capable of having sexual intercourse with your wife/GF. A Farang doing this, is basically taking away a job from a Thai citizen. Yes Sir !biggrin.png

Cheers.

I have often had the urge to ask if wiping my own bum is acceptable? By the current criteria it is a valid question !

And yes, I have been dobbed infor "working". But have overcome the problem luckily. Discretion as opposed to jealousmile.png sy does exist in the beurocracy.

You have to got to hand it to them - locals I mean. They really have got this madness sewn up.

I can draw and paint. But if I sat down and painted a sunset on the beach and some one bought it from me I would be jailed/deported/hung/drawn/quartered etc.

If I lived anywhere else on the real planet known as Earth. I could possibly make a living from it and no one would bat an eyelid.

I can re-wire a house to a standard that far excells anything one of the locals do and you would not die switching on the shower.

This "law" is so extreme it basically contravenes every human right. The right to make money and feed yourself with daily bread.

Is this country a member of the United Nations? Probably not. Why? because the last thing they would want is being like the rest of Earth and doing anything being told by some who knows far better. Loss of face.

They signed up to to all sort of things in ASEAN and then just say screw you when Singaporeans and Fillipinos turn up looking for a job or business. So, don't feel victimised if you are a westerner they do it to asians as well.

I was talking to a Japanese engineer the other day who works in a plastic moulding factory and I cannot type here what he thought of the system or their methods he has to deal with or I would be arrested ...back to the OP ... dont paint the fence or the locals will take it....offence that is.

Notice I avoided mentioning what country we are talking about...?

Please tell us what the issues the Japanese engineer had.

I know many Filipinos that are working in Thailand.

I lived and worked in Thailand as an engineer for 20 years with a work permit and never had an issue. Also ASEAN has not started yet.

I painted our house and the cop that lives down the street did nothing, he even joked the one day and asked if I could do is next. OP just paint it, most thais have not idea

what an ex-pat can or cannot do legally and really dont care, so I dont see anyone complaining and if they did and someone came to check in on you if you have been in THailand

long enough you know how to handle things.

I read about that too. The reason was the bar started advertising that jam sessions. The police said if some guys got together and started a jam session no issue with that, but if it is advertised and the bar is making money from it then it's an issue.

mcfish

It may be a stupid question to you,but isnt it a bit like asking what the clutch is for when first learning to drive?Every body has to learn.You are obviously past the stage of trying to help others.

I bet you are a golfer,say about 18/20 handicap? who get's angry when learner's are on the hole in front and are playing a bit slow.I bet you throw your club's and curse everybody for not being as good as you are.

lighten up man,you might,just have a question one day that seems,what was again,oh yeah stupid!!!to others.But i doubt it 'cos someone like you knows it all.

DDK

Someone just made a point .. Just paint it, Thais are unaware of the rules. This is quite probably true.

Chatting to my neighbors they think we just come here and rent a place and live, they had no idea I had to get a visa or had to report to immigration.

My understanding of it all is that to be classified as work there needs to be some form of payment or financial reward. A Volunteer Worker needs a Work Permit even though he/she is not paid, The reason being they may be offered a free place to stay and food, which is a financial reward.

I guess you can compare this to building a Bird House. If you build one to put in your back yard then I don't think anyone is going to make you get a Work Permit for this.But if people like it and you build more and start selling them then in this case you do need a Work Permit.

I do know people will argue that you need a Work Permit for any type of work done here, but it just isn't so. If that were the case then this would be a crazy law which can never be enforced as people would need Work Permits to wash there own dirty dishes after eating, or just cooking on the BBQ.

So if your wife is not paying you to paint the fence then I don't see any problems with needing a Work Permit. Or cutting the grass. Or working in your own garden although this might be a Grey Area as you are getting some Financial Reward for doing that. So go ahead and paint as you are not breaking any laws.

I have a question. Has there ever been a case o a Farang being arrested, fined or deported for doing odd jobs around their place of residence? If there has, I have certainly never read about it, on TV or anywhere else for that matter. We all know it is technically illegal, but I like to think immigration have got more important things to worry about.

I don't think so, but I sure as hell don't want to be the first. Do you?

That's why I stay far away from washing dishes, taking out the garbage, or anything else Mrs. Awk can think of asking me.

And if I do happen to notice a plate has not been washed satisfactory, I make sure to call Mrs. Awk in to wash it again rather than risk anything by washing it myself. After all, why take any chances?

I built a western type house and major boundery wall for the wife in issan, no one batted an eyelid.

However I did employ around 6 local builder type guys to help labour and do the manual concrete and labour jobs and we all had a beer after work.

Just go with the flow as long as you don't piss of the village builders you be fine. ps 200 baht a day covered each labourer quite a bargain, to me anyways.