Why doesn't TVF's auto delete function for inappropriate language include racial slurs?

Gecko123

For example, how come people can't use the F-word here, but can use the N-word?

Forum rule #11 reads:

You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I think TVF should start adding racial slurs to its auto delete prohibited vocabulary function and start cracking down on members who ignore this rule.

The list is there due to Google's Term of Service for any site that uses Adsense. Abuse can result in penalties or even account removal. Profanity is one such item but not sure about racial terms but I see your point. I believe we stopped updating the list for technical reasons but not sure at the moment.

Just use the report button and type a comment on why that post isn't appropriate, a Moderator will then decide.

attachicon.gifreport.JPG

I am well-aware of the report button. Please reread my post more carefully, as you appear to have missed all three points I was trying to make:

1) racial slurs are never acceptable, therefore why aren't they automatically deleted via the auto delete function for inappropriate language?

2) can't TVF management manage this more proactively instead of relying on members to report this?

3) by passively relying on members to report racial slurs, is TVF sending a signal to the members that unless someone complains, racial slurs are acceptable?

Edit:

Tywais: Thank you for your response. Can you look into updating this list. I would think this could easily be done, and in my opinion the list is badly in need of an update, and needs to be updated on an ongoing basis. Thanks again.

I think we would love it to remove these automatically, some already are (the name of Guy Gibson's dog for example).

A major problem is that the current 'naughty words' filter isn't very smart. It happily pulls partial words so if, for example, we added Brit (as a racial slur) it would also remove British (not a racial slur).

Also note that there is a snooker player called Marco <deleted> as it can't do capitalisation either.

Added to the above we would have issues with a common waste treatment system and a type of amphibian.

Maybe the next version will be smarter.

I think we would love it to remove these automatically, some already are (the name of Guy Gibson's dog for example).

A major problem is that the current 'naughty words' filter isn't very smart. It happily pulls partial words so if, for example, we added Brit (as a racial slur) it would also remove British (not a racial slur).

Also note that there is a snooker player called Marco <deleted> as it can't do capitalisation either.

Added to the above we would have issues with a common waste treatment system and a type of amphibian.

Maybe the next version will be smarter.

The number of times I've watched Marco F_U play snooker, and it never even crossed my mind. Really. I must be getting old.

The problem there is that the "word" (actually just 2 letters) "Fυ" has been added to the censored list when it clearly shouldn't be on there, as it's neither a profanity or a racial slur. Not only can you not talk about snooker player Marco &lt;deleted&gt;, but the martial art kung &lt;deleted&gt; also gets censored out. There's no way that Google would be penalising sites that have "Fυ" in their text.