Is there any import tax for goods from China?

Kenny202

I buy some stuff from ebay every know and then and sometimes get a nasty surprise at the post office re 30% tax (or more) I wasn't expecting. I thought I read somewhere Thailand and China have some agreement where there is no duty importing into Thailand. Is this true?

I import a few times from China. Although there is a FTA, this does not mean that the import tax is zero %. You need to check what the tax rate is by referring to the Harmonisation Code database on the Thai Customs & Excise website.

Furthermore, those tax rates and reduced tax rates only apply if you are 'formally' importing goods, where the supplier provides a Certificate of Origin and all other required documents.

If you are buying a one-off or sample from Ebay, then the full import tax rate usually applies. If you ship via a courier, such as FedEx or DHL, you may (WILL!) be hit with additional charges.

Always ship using ChinaPost or HongKong Post to minimise these charges.

If you buy small products from aliexpress.com you don't will pay tax for the most things. For bigger pakets they will charge you.

To import under the Freetrade Agreement China/Thailand you need a Certificate of Origin 'F' Formular for what the china seller must apply at his local government office and fax or email it to you. At next you must registry your import to Thai Custom with the form 'F' and the bill from the seller. They will charge you 7% VAT of the bill (included shipping costs).

More infos under http://www.customs.go.th.

Can't connect now. Looks like the webmaster is on vacation. 555

Even if you escape the import duty there is always a chance that you will be hit with VAT, unfortunately they also include shipping charges into the amount subject to VAT

As others have said, stay away from the private carriers like DHL, FEDEX and UPS

I have found Singapore Post to be the fastest and most reliable method for shipping, if available

i buy from ebay and get stuff sent from china, haven't been hit with tax yet. I think it also depends on the value of the item. items were under 900 baht each (that is the postage threshold for taxfree). Another time i got some old powerpoints sent in from aussie, paid about 600bht on ebay, then taxed 700bht you could see clearly they were not new.

I import a few times from China. Although there is a FTA, this does not mean that the import tax is zero %. You need to check what the tax rate is by referring to the Harmonisation Code database on the Thai Customs & Excise website.

Furthermore, those tax rates and reduced tax rates only apply if you are 'formally' importing goods, where the supplier provides a Certificate of Origin and all other required documents.

If you are buying a one-off or sample from Ebay, then the full import tax rate usually applies. If you ship via a courier, such as FedEx or DHL, you may (WILL!) be hit with additional charges.

Always ship using ChinaPost or HongKong Post to minimise these charges.

Typical Thailand, never simplify anything if it can be made harder.

If you buy through Lazada,

They guarantee no duty to be paid on delivery, all taxes included in their advertised price.

If only every business would do this instead of ie, Agoda when you are booking hotel rooms.

Well done Lazada.

As several others above, I buy about one item a month from aliexpress, usually very small, mostly electronic odd n' ends but some larger. Never a customs or mail delivery hassle, but that's probably because they are not much value (one was $350) and I always choose the China Post Air and avoid like the plague DHL and similar; EMS is superb if you need fast delivery.

Look at the restricted items for import to Thailand on the DHL website! LOL, the list is longer than all other Asian countries combined! You ever see teeth whitening strips at the store? Restricted, can't sell them here. BUT, you CAN open a restaurant without a Health Dept certificate or inspections. Never mind rat infestation and lack of soap in EVERY restaurant. Ever hear of people dying from food borne illness? Everyday. Ever hear of anyone dying from a Crest teeth whitening strip overdose?

Holy misdirected priorities Batman!

Maybe 1 out of 10 gets hit by tax....7 baht was all I had to pay

Yes, that's a weird one. Exactly what is the 7 baht for? So many times I have to drive all the way to the sorting office to pay 7 baht to retrieve my little parcel, even though the postman could easily have delivered it to me.

Is there a long history of postmen stealing 7 bahts??

Maybe 1 out of 10 gets hit by tax....7 baht was all I had to pay

Yes, that's a weird one. Exactly what is the 7 baht for? So many times I have to drive all the way to the sorting office to pay 7 baht to retrieve my little parcel, even though the postman could easily have delivered it to me.

Is there a long history of postmen stealing 7 bahts??

Thank you for your post. I thought that I was the only one to get hit with that unknown 7 Baht charge

Thank you for your post. I thought that I was the only one to get hit with that unknown 7 Baht charge

Maybe it is to cover the petrol costs for the postman to come to your house to tell you to go and pay 7 baht at the sorting office....

Maybe it is to cover the petrol costs for the postman to come to your house to tell you to go and pay 7 baht at the sorting office....

Since I am a known tipper to the postmen, they pay it, before leaving the Post office and collect it from me at delivery

• 2 years later...

I buy occasionally from e-bay. According to my web research there will only be duty/VAT for item values over 1,000 baht. I have found this to be true.-I pay nothing on lower priced items. Occaisionaly higher cost items get bu without cost, but don't count on it. If you google them, Pitney Bowes used to allow you to check the duty on items using their calculator. Dont know if you still can. Googling "Thailand import duty and tax" can also give you an idea of what to expect.

I am now expecting my first order from Lazada and trust there will be no duties as a poster above has mentioned.

Here are a couple of  tid bit  about international shipping.  E-bay offers a global shipping and duty service on some of there items.  They quote you a cost to include duty etc. and state that, that is the max.  I have never used it yet, but its a useful service to reduce your surprise factor at delivery.  Also one thought about international shpping from e-bay. If the item does not have a tracking number it is probably going to go astray. (ie: get lifted by postal workers) I've had two untrackable purchases and both dissappeared. Fortunately e-Bay refunded my money. My trackable orders arrive O.K.

I buy off eBay several times a month. In the seven years I’ve been here, I’ve probably made more than 200 purchases valued from a few hundred to several thousand baht. I always check the ‘free shipping’ filter on eBay.

My Thai brother in law has used my account to buy Benz car parts, which are always quite pricy. His largest order was around $700 USD. Neither of us has ever paid anything aside from the occasional seven baht the mailman asks for.