Gen Prem urges “love and unity” to run the country

webfact

Gen Prem urges “love and unity” to run the country

301222-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha today led commanders-in-chief of the three armed forces and commissioner of the Royal Thai Police to offer New Year wishes to the Privy Council chairman Gen Prem Tinsulanonda and to receive his blessings at Sisao Theves official residence.

Gen Prem thanked the prime minister for all the best wishes he and the commanders offered on the New Year and said he was happy at heart to have met and seen them though on a few occasions.

But he said no matter how long it has been, he remains military in his soul and heart.

He thanked Gen Prayut for not forgetting him, for remaining friendship and brotherhood.

He recalled love and unity which the prime minister stressed saying this was what His Majesty the King has advised.

Gen Prem then elaborated that if one does not understand and does not make use of the words “love and unity”, it would be a pity.

Love and unity should be used to run in the unit and in the country, he said.

He said further that he understood that the prime minister and all his minister were so tired in doing their works,.

But if their hard working could bring happiness and prosperity to the people and country, then it’s worth to do so for the country, and to show they don’t come in to stay in power.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gen-prem-urges-love-and-unity-to-run-the-country

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-30

"Love and unity" best represented by section 44, re-education camps, deaths in custody, media censorship, suspension of democracy, banning public gatherings (and sandwich eating), military corruption, biased and manipulated courts, torturing for confessions..etc..etc.....etc.....

LOVE and UNITY

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

>>But he said no matter how long it has been, he remains military in his soul and heart.<< Quote

Not surprisingly coming from a man, believed by many to be the architect behind the last two coups........................coffee1.gif

>>Gen Prem then elaborated that if one does not understand and does not make use of the words “love and unity”, it would be a pity.<< Quote

Gen Prem's version of "love and unity" sadly doesn't include 90% of the population.................

Ah, the annual Trough Party where the pigs come to snort in their best Bond villain suits and remember this time of year is about sharing the love amongst themselves, as well as the spoils of democracy and free speech that they share amongst themselves every other day of the year.

"He said further that he understood that the prime minister and all his minister were so tired in doing their works,."

Did anybody else read this, as perhaps being a hint, from the chairman of the Privy Council ? whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo

>>Gen Prem then elaborated that if one does not understand and does not make use of the words “love and unity”, it would be a pity.<< Quote

Gen Prem's version of "love and unity" sadly doesn't include 90% of the population.................

Yep, stuck in the good old days, with lack of vision of the modern world and modern world communications

I have a slightly different take to what appears to be the majority view of Prem.

I see him as the closest this country ever got to a Lee Kwan Yueh. They were both strongmen, and autocrats and themselves incorruptible. There they diverge. LKY was able to see past the confines of his class and see a grand picture for Singapore. Prem on the other hand had no grand vision other than to preserve the past.

I think the British had an Imperial expression to describe India..Unchanging India...of course it wasn't true, merely a fantasy. That sort of sums up Prem, a good honest administrator, but no visionary.

Edited by GinBoy2

I have a slightly different take to what appears to be the majority view of Prem.

I see him as the closest this country ever got to a Lee Kwan Yueh. They were both strongmen, and autocrats and themselves incorruptible. There they diverge. LKY was able to see past the confines of his class and see a grand picture for Singapore. Prem on the other hand had no grand vision other than to preserve the past.

I think the British had an Imperial expression to describe India..Unchanging India...of course it wasn't true, merely a fantasy. That sort of sums up Prem, a good honest administrator, but no visionary.

Did nothing to help alleviate the poverty of the masses, was more than happy to maintain the disparate social order, watching millions suffer and struggle through a life of unnecessary hardship whilst for the elites of Bangkok it was all unearned champagne and caviar.

Did nothing to help alleviate the poverty of the masses, was more than happy to maintain the disparate social order, watching millions suffer and struggle through a life of unnecessary hardship whilst for the elites of Bangkok it was all unearned champagne and caviar.

Which kind of re-enforces my comparison to the British Raj. Great administrators, but with no great desire to change the social order. Whereas LKY was a great administrator but with a vision to change society for the better.

That was the great failure of Prem; he was akin to a British Colonial official there to provide stability, rather than an an administator like LKY with a vision to improve the lot of his people

Edited by GinBoy2

Prem lauds ‘sacrifice’ by Prayut, team
THE NATION

30275948-01_big.jpg?1451511594315
Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda, in yellow, with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha at his Si Sao Tewes residence, where the premier led Cabinet members and military and police commanders wished Prem a happy new year.

For the New Year, privy council chief urges top officials to be sure spending is for the good of the people

BANGKOK: -- PRIVY COUNCIL President Prem Tinsulanonda yesterday urged the Cabinet and military and police brass to ensure the state budget is spent for the true good of the country and the people.

"I understand that you are tired, but it's worth it if Thais are happy," the statesman said.

"I'm overjoyed to see the prime minister and you others sacrifice your own happiness to make the people in our country happy."

He also gave his blessings to the group led by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, which had called on him at his Si Sao Tewes residence to offer him the traditional New Year's greetings.

General Prem also gave General Prayut words of encouragement.

"The prime minister is a strong person. He never gives up, so he sets a good example," he said.

"I don't think you seek to gain power for yourself. You really work for the country and the people. I may not be of much help to you because I'm getting on in years now.

"But I can help with some thoughts and encouragement, as well as a smidgeon of knowledge," Prem said.

"People place their hopes in the prime minister, the armed forces and the police. They put their trust in you. So you must not disappoint them. Regardless of the hardship, you have to bear it," he said to his well-wishers.

Prem also told the group that he believed their virtuousness would serve to protect them from any evil.

"If you do good every day, you will have strong armour," he said.

Prem served as the Army chief from 1978-81 and as prime minister from 1980-88. He still holds much influence among top military commanders and politicians.

Prem also stressed the importance of unity among the people in the country, citing what His Majesty the King had brought up seven years ago.

"We have to understand that His Majesty meant love and unity must be taken into account in running the country," he said.

Later, Prem said he was warned to be careful because "many people dislike me".

However, he hoped virtue would be his good protection.

"Goodness should serve as the best armour. I hope that those who hate me will dwindle," he said.

Prem was speaking to another group paying their respects - senior cavalry officers. He was also one of them while in the Army.

"I'm like a dying horse that is very weak now. It's time I retire," said Prem, who is 95.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prem-lauds-sacrifice-by-Prayut-team-30275948.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-31

Unity is no doubt strength. It's not easy to unite if everyone has their own agenda.

Spending for the sake of the people and country is good, provided the money goes to the right channels with the right planning (by the right talent) of course.

I didn't know the people place their hopes in the police...