No irregularities found in fund spending on Rajabhakti Park

snoop1130

No irregularities found in fund spending on Rajabhakti Park
Thai PBS

3012001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK -- No irregularities have been found in the spending of funds for the implementation of the controversial Rajabhakti Park project featuring the statues of seven great Thai kings in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, the Defence Ministry's investigation committee announced at a press conference on Wednesday.

The committee, set up by Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, is chaired by Gen Chaichan Changmongkol, deputy permanent secretary of the Defence Ministry.

Gen Chaichan said his committee was authorised only to compile facts concerning the project by interviewing individuals and examining documents in the possession of personnel in the Defence Ministry only.

The committee did not have the legal authority to investigate alleged irregularities. Such power was with other agencies authorised by the law to investigate corruption, he said.

He said a 16-page report on the committee’s findings has been handed over to Gen Prawit.

Gen Chaichan said the committee found no irregularities concerning the spending of funds for the project.

The funds included 63 million baht from the central fund of the national budget and 802 million baht from donations, or about 866 million baht in total.

Of the total, 816 million baht had been spent on the project. The spending properly followed the Prime Minister’s Office’s regulations on hires and procurements of materials and an army’s order governing the project.

Concerning the casting of the statues of the past kings by foundries, the committee did not have the authority to summonse their owners for interviews about the alleged demands of kick-backs.

Some of them refused to give information and some were not available to cooperate, Gen Chaichan said.

He said the committee did not have the authority to point out what was right or what was wrong.

Asked why some officers close to Deputy Defence Minister Udomdej Sitabutr resigned or fled abroad, Gen Chaichan said as far as he knew those who fled the country were wanted in another legal case, not the Rajabhakti Park project.

Asked whether Gen Udomdej would have to resign to show his spirit, Gen Chaichan said he could not comment on the matter.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-irregularities-found-in-fund-spending-on-rajabhakti-park

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-30-12

What the hell is the point of an investigation if they do not have the power to interview the parties that have already acknowledged that their were irregularities. Would it not all be a lot easier if they just asked General Udomej about the irregularity he noted, who was involved and what the process was for prosecuting wrong doers.

I read in another report that a large amount of the donations came from other Government agencies, which given they are publicly funded, i would presume this also would be tax payers money.

ummmm....why are the international news agencies reporting the exact opposite of the headline above?

I see you are new here. It is because the international news agencies, The European Parliament, the U.S. Federal government, the Australian government and the Canadian government are all in the pay of Thaksin Shinawatra.

(Any I have missed?)

"The committee did not have the legal authority to investigate alleged irregularities."

"Some of them refused to give information and some were not available to cooperate, Gen Chaichan said."

"He said the committee did not have the authority to point out what was right or what was wrong."

Sorry, i do not understand what there was "investigated".

Ah so alleged corruption by the army was investigated by....the army...and no corruption found.

So the amulet seller and other generals that did a runner. Just needed an emergency vacation eh?

What an unbelievable 7 or so days this has been for Thailand. Happy new year everyone!

ummmm....why are the international news agencies reporting the exact opposite of the headline above?

I see you are new here. It is because the international news agencies, The European Parliament, the U.S. Federal government, the Australian government and the Canadian government are all in the pay of Thaksin Shinawatra.

(Any I have missed?)

Well thank you baboon. Let me assure you that, despite not posting as frequently as your good self, I am not new here. I have lived and worked in Thailand for a very long time, and I keep well abreast of the news and comings-and-goings of my adoptive country.

My dear old mother has a saying (from my native country) that fits your post very well, I think....

"They're a' oot o' step 'cept oor Jake", which translated to common English might be, "They're all out of step except our John"

Quite fitting, don't you think?

(Any I have missed?)

Well thank you baboon. Let me assure you that, despite not posting as frequently as your good self, I am not new here. I have lived and worked in Thailand for a very long time, and I keep well abreast of the news and comings-and-goings of my adoptive country.

My dear old mother has a saying (from my native country) that fits your post very well, I think....

"They're a' oot o' step 'cept oor Jake", which translated to common English might be, "They're all out of step except our John"

Yes I do.

The part about your being new was a nudge and a wink, not any kind of attempt at condescension, just to be clear. No offence was intended.

(Any I have missed?)

Must be costing him a fortune paying off all those Governments and media outlets

Yet more proof that the last 3 coups have absolutely nothing to do with corruption.

For anyone anywhere who ever believed that the repeated overthrowing of Thaksinite governments had anything at all to do with corruption, it's time to wake up, withdraw your head from within the sand and face reality - the coups are about denying democracy and nothing else.

§2 and §3 are in fact the ones which matter, as they tell what that Gen Chaichan's committee was authorized to investigate, little or nothing (and IMO quite a feat on its own that Gen felt the need to give such precisions...), while §5 just says what the RTA wanted to hear as outcome...

The army big brass expects this story to fade away, soon to be forgotten, up to them (like Thais like to say), but, I'm not sure (like Thais often say)...

What a loss of 'PR opportunity' towards the Thai population this is though for the Military, imagine: (ret.) Gen. Udomdej 'leaves elegantly' as N°2 at the Def. Min., 'to free the way for a fair investigation', some Colonels and small fry are found guilty and thrown in jail together with an 'amulet salesman'(...?) and odd civilians, bingo, look all, see, the Military are clean and not corrupt, all good in the LoS, ...and they could have gone on un-noticed creating silly budgets to plunder for blimps, explosive detectors, airplanes, submarines, a.s.o., while 'the people' would still have remained focussed on the exemplary value of 'Justice in Radjabakti'...

Aah, when they would have hired some of the PR guys like the ones working for the Shins, they are able to hide a full grown elephant in a condo fridge without even leaving footprints on the butter in the cup...

Yet more proof that the last 3 coups have absolutely nothing to do with corruption.

For anyone anywhere who ever believed that the repeated overthrowing of Thaksinite governments had anything at all to do with corruption, it's time to wake up, withdraw your head from within the sand and face reality - the coups are about denying democracy and nothing else.

Utter BS, 'normally' coups are about safeguarding positions at the trough, 'democracy' pro or con not in the line of decision, but this time it was, also, ... something else, big time, just make your brains work a bit, OK? See what I mean (but cannot write)?

(Any I have missed?)

Yes I do.

The part about your being new was a nudge and a wink, not any kind of attempt at condescension, just to be clear. No offence was intended.

No offence taken, baboon :)

(Any I have missed?)

Must be costing him a fortune paying off all those Governments and media outlets

Na-ah, not much in fact, as long as you can use the money of the Thai State you hold in your power, just a matter of a little bit of 'creativity' in the accounts...

Utter BS, 'normally' coups are about safeguarding positions at the trough, 'democracy' pro or con not in the line of decision, but this time it was, also, ... something else, big time, just make your brains work a bit, OK? See what I mean (but cannot write)?

What you didn't write was exactly what Solomon said in his post..................................coffee1.gif

(Any I have missed?)

Oh, and the UN too. Remember how the junta head gave his speech to a more or less deserted auditorium? That would have been because of Thaksin bribing the various delegations to stay away.

I am also led to believe that at the hotel following the speech, employees were paid by a nameless individual to regularly knock on his door and run away...

Edited by baboon

Oh, well, that's good to know, eh?

Happy New Year everyone...

Sure, sure, big smile, have new budgets with new year, hoowah, big money for spend, us all happy happy, thank you many many!

(sorry, couldn't get the Gen's name, the line was cut with a 'bang', must have been the first magnum of Krug, they have taste for expensive stuff, you know)

Democracy is the best antidote to corruption and nepotism.

Given enough time to take root and grow, democracy, although not perfect, will shrink the trough and limit access to it to only those who subject themselves to the electoral process. Democracy shines a light into all the dark corners and flushes out the roaches.

As an added bonus for Thailand, democracy will also put the military back into its box where it belongs - under civilian rule.

Democracy is everything the Democrat/Military/Ammart coalition are terrified of and they will risk coup after coup to stave it off.

Edited by Solomon

What you didn't write was exactly what Solomon said in his post..................................coffee1.gif

Sorry to have to contradict you, you didn't get it either, mai pen rai.

Just think about something that will make all people very, deeply, sad.