Can a foreigner get mortgage from an already bought condo?

Hello everyone, I had bought a condo in BKK and it is clean without any debts.

I am currently deciding to open a small business in BKK, thus I may need some capital.

The question I have is, except the condo, I don't have work or any bank account in Thailand for now.

May I apply mortgage with just the condo I bought and my passport?

Or will I have to marry a Thai girl and take a job in Thailand, get working visa first?

From a single foreigner with a condo he just bought.

No, not based upon what you have posted. You "may" be able to use it as a "collateral" but if in the farang quota I can't see any bank as wanting it even as collateral since it can only be sold to another farang

As for getting married, she had better have a good job, good credit history, and / or something to put up as collateral other than your condo

And I hope you have a really in demand skill that will enable you to get a job that comes with a work permit

Good luck, but you have a lot more deciding to do

No, not based upon what you have posted. You "may" be able to use it as a "collateral" but if in the farang quota I can't see any bank as wanting it even as collateral since it can only be sold to another farang

As for getting married, she had better have a good job, good credit history, and / or something to put up as collateral other than your condo

And I hope you have a really in demand skill that will enable you to get a job that comes with a work permit

Bolded Not true,,

I tried to get a mortgage through SCB on my paid for already condo #1 to help buy my by condo#2. The bank flat out told me the laws changed a while ago and foreigners can not get mortgages.

Bolded Not true,,

Agree, in fact, you can sell to whomever you want, foreigner or Thai. This may not hold true of a condo project/building which has reached

the 49% foreign owned threshold and held in a Thai name if selling to a foreigner.

I tried to get a mortgage through SCB on my paid for already condo #1 to help buy my by condo#2. The bank flat out told me the laws changed a while ago and foreigners can not get mortgages.

I have had two mortgages from local banks - HSBC Thailand in 2007 and UOB in 2010. Both were normal, baht-denominated, variable-rate mortgages. Both banks initially said "no foreigners" but both eventually agreed because I have PR. My wife (non-Thai, also with PR) were joint mortgagees, as the properties were jointly owned. No Thai guarantors required, just proof of local income.

MBK does foreigner mortgages but they might require an income / work permit.

Also meotgages in Thailand are extremely expensive. Nothing under 6-8 percent pa

Foreign quota condos can be sold to foreigners or Thais. Thai quota condos can be sold to foreigners if the quota is available on the day of transfer.

Bolded Not true,,

Not sure why you say a bank can only sell to another Farang... they can sell it to a Thai person also.(provided they have the money, of course).

Bolded Not true,,

Might as well be true, if he sells to a Thai he'll get a considerably lower price for it.

Everyone agrees that condos in the farang quota are more expensive than those not in the farang quota. Therefore if a bank is going to use a "free and clear" condo as security for a loan that they are going to make it is only logical that they will want to sell it at a price at or close to the amount that they lent.

So if the OP defaults on the loan and the bank is forced to sell the asset they are going to have to sell it to a farang at a higher price to get their money back. Yes, they can sell it to a Thai and loose money, are banks in the business to loose money?

I think not

Everyone agrees that condos in the farang quota are more expensive than those not in the farang quota.

Only in buildings where the farang quota is sold out. There are many buildings where this is not the case, and in those there is no difference at all in price. (Except in as much as most people will inflate an asking price if they think they can sell to a farang.)

• 2 weeks later...