Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

clipped recommended some chili powder in a previous post. I need to look for that. I think he's talking about making shells from el charro tortillas

chili mix not chili powder....too much chili powder and it may hurt/burn when it comes out. :o

JR - the fresh cumin here works alot better if you sundry it before you use it, its a bit too stout for me here....as for the cheese, maybe you could contact 'Caroline' and set up a del with them to make the cheese...they make cheese in thailand...also, the minor group makes there own cheese (pizza co)...makro sells cheese in bulk, but not sure what type.

Tutsi - i may be mistaken , but i think limestone is the same thing old thai people use to chew their betelnuts...you know, the older women with red colored mouths and spit that are chewing on something...they mix it with the betelnuts.

great tip on the chili mix, I'll never use taco seasoning again. I couldn't find the wolf's brand though, I used frenches

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if mexican restaurants in bangkok start using chili mix....im cracking skulls....lol/just kdding

btw, dont try to make your own chili mix, everythings proportioned for sale here, that you wont save much, if anything...

if you have one of those little ovens , try warming the shells up with meat inside...

i got more tips, pm if ya want some more :o

The only GOOD Mexican food that I have ever had in Thailand is at Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai. Sometimes the proprietor sweats in your food, but it tastes good and may be more authentic. :D

Was there couple weeks ago....and agree!

:o

The only GOOD Mexican food that I have ever had in Thailand is at Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai. Sometimes the proprietor sweats in your food, but it tastes good and may be more authentic. :D

Was there couple weeks ago....and agree!

:o

JR Texas: If any person out there has pictures of the food at Miguel's (minus cigarettes for scale), please post them. I want to see the food. Thanks.

if you get a platter it even comes on a hotplate like back home....i wasnt to fond of the soft chicken taco though, but everything else on the platter was really good.

enchiladas will have flour tortillas though...but the overall taste of everything was as close to home as i ever found in thailand.

• 3 months later...

As lifelong Mexican food afficionado and recent relocatee from Los Angeles, I must say I was reasonably pleased with my recent visits to Sunrise Tacos (Suk Rd near Soi 12) and Charlie Brown's (side soi on Suk Soi 11 near Sabbai Sabbai Massage).

Clearly, everyone's preference is a personal thing, and the Mexican food here surely isn't the same as my former home. This is BKK, so I'm not expecting that, to be fair. But I'd opine that Sunrise Tacos and Charlie Brown's come close enough to at least satisfy that craving for what we miss. ( I joked to a friend the other day that good Mexican food from home is the ONLY thing I miss so far after having left L.A.)

Some things I really liked: the frozen, blended mango margarita at Sunrise, 79 baht for a 20 ml glass, cold, fruity and tasty. Surprisingly, a darn good regular blended regular margarita at Charlie Browns, I think 150b but nice with a salt rimmed glass and lime slice, very refreshing. Kudos to Sunrise on Suk Rd. for staying open 24 hours, and they're expanding from just a counter operation to having a larger sit-down dining room (already open) across the parking lot in the same small shopping complex.

As for the food, Charlie Brown's did a very nice Nachos supreme, which surprised me a bit arriving as a literal tower of stacked corn tortilla chips nicely covered in cheese and frijoles, some canned jalapeno slices, and I think some sour cream. It's listed as an appetizer, but easily could double as a meal alone for one. That's a nice touch in a town where restaurant portions often lean toward the smaller side, at least by Western standards.

I also tried CB's two pork tacos dinner (225b I think) with soft flour tortillas, which was OK. But the tortillas came out a bit thin and literally fell apart in my hands with the moisture from the food. (At the outset, I asked them not to fix the tacos at the start, because the pile of nachos wase going to take some time. But now in retrospect, I wonder if they just let the prepared tacos sit, hence the sogginess problem.) Overall taste was OK, but a bit on the bland side for me. Accompanied by OK Spanish rice and decent frijoles. Can't quite figure out why folks here seem to want to add mucho corn to Spanish rice.

As for the food at Sunrise, I tried their Carne Asada plate for 169 baht, which was both filling and tasty, courtesy of my choosing their hottest salsa (John's Red Hot), which has a nice flavor, but hardly sets anything on fire by Angeleno standards. (By comparison, the salsa that came with the complimentary tortilla chips basket at Charlie Brown's (nice they do that) tasted more like a can of stewed tomatoes that had been purreed in a blender (heavy on tomato and not much else).

On another recent visit to Sunrise, I tried a couple of their burritos (109 to 134b), which were pretty good. For some reason, exactly the opposite of Charlie Brown's, the flour tortillas at Sunrise came out a bit thick and long on chewiness, but at least they didn't fall apart in my hands. Sunrise also has the option to upsize their burritos to "giant" for an extra 69 baht. But having tried both versions, I can't say I noticed such a great difference in quantity between the two, at least for the ones they served me. I'd stick with the regular size, or maybe order two regulars instead!!!

Early on, and on their printed menu, Sunrise was offering a couple nice specials, any three regular burritos for 299b, or any 10 tacos to go for (I think) 500b+. But when I went the other day and asked for the burrito trio, the staff had crossed that special off their menu board in the restaurant and said those specials were only during their opening - no longer available.

Likewise, their printed menu now only mentions the one location on Suk Road, but I could have sworn I came across a different Sunrise Tacos outlet in the Emporium Food Court (5th floor) the other day. Couldn't stop to eat then, but noticed a menu there that seemed a bit different from the Suk Rd location, in that everything seemed to be offered in combination plate variety (entree plus beans and rice), whereas the Suk Road shop leans more toward entrees only. I wish the Suk Road shop would make their burrito and taco offerings available via combination plates, as well.

Anyways, haven't gotten around to trying Senior Pico's yet. But even if it's a bust in terms of food (as some posters here have suggested), I think the combination of Sunrise Tacos and Charlie Brown's can at least keep me alive, when I need to take a break from the Thai food I truly love so much. PS - at present, Charlie Brown's is only open for dinner, starting at 5:30 pm I believe, so no lunch options there.

Happy eating... --John.

As lifelong Mexican food afficionado and recent relocatee from Los Angeles, I must say I was reasonably pleased with my recent visits to Sunrise Tacos (Suk Rd near Soi 12) and Charlie Brown's (side soi on Suk Soi 11 near Sabbai Sabbai Massage).

Clearly, everyone's preference is a personal thing, and the Mexican food here surely isn't the same as my former home. This is BKK, so I'm not expecting that, to be fair. But I'd opine that Sunrise Tacos and Charlie Brown's come close enough to at least satisfy that craving for what we miss. ( I joked to a friend the other day that good Mexican food from home is the ONLY thing I miss so far after having left L.A.)

Some things I really liked: the frozen, blended mango margarita at Sunrise, 79 baht for a 20 ml glass, cold, fruity and tasty. Surprisingly, a darn good regular blended regular margarita at Charlie Browns, I think 150b but nice with a salt rimmed glass and lime slice, very refreshing. Kudos to Sunrise on Suk Rd. for staying open 24 hours, and they're expanding from just a counter operation to having a larger sit-down dining room (already open) across the parking lot in the same small shopping complex.

As for the food, Charlie Brown's did a very nice Nachos supreme, which surprised me a bit arriving as a literal tower of stacked corn tortilla chips nicely covered in cheese and frijoles, some canned jalapeno slices, and I think some sour cream. It's listed as an appetizer, but easily could double as a meal alone for one. That's a nice touch in a town where restaurant portions often lean toward the smaller side, at least by Western standards.

I also tried CB's two pork tacos dinner (225b I think) with soft flour tortillas, which was OK. But the tortillas came out a bit thin and literally fell apart in my hands with the moisture from the food. (At the outset, I asked them not to fix the tacos at the start, because the pile of nachos wase going to take some time. But now in retrospect, I wonder if they just let the prepared tacos sit, hence the sogginess problem.) Overall taste was OK, but a bit on the bland side for me. Accompanied by OK Spanish rice and decent frijoles. Can't quite figure out why folks here seem to want to add mucho corn to Spanish rice.

As for the food at Sunrise, I tried their Carne Asada plate for 169 baht, which was both filling and tasty, courtesy of my choosing their hottest salsa (John's Red Hot), which has a nice flavor, but hardly sets anything on fire by Angeleno standards. (By comparison, the salsa that came with the complimentary tortilla chips basket at Charlie Brown's (nice they do that) tasted more like a can of stewed tomatoes that had been purreed in a blender (heavy on tomato and not much else).

On another recent visit to Sunrise, I tried a couple of their burritos (109 to 134b), which were pretty good. For some reason, exactly the opposite of Charlie Brown's, the flour tortillas at Sunrise came out a bit thick and long on chewiness, but at least they didn't fall apart in my hands. Sunrise also has the option to upsize their burritos to "giant" for an extra 69 baht. But having tried both versions, I can't say I noticed such a great difference in quantity between the two, at least for the ones they served me. I'd stick with the regular size, or maybe order two regulars instead!!!

Early on, and on their printed menu, Sunrise was offering a couple nice specials, any three regular burritos for 299b, or any 10 tacos to go for (I think) 500b+. But when I went the other day and asked for the burrito trio, the staff had crossed that special off their menu board in the restaurant and said those specials were only during their opening - no longer available.

Likewise, their printed menu now only mentions the one location on Suk Road, but I could have sworn I came across a different Sunrise Tacos outlet in the Emporium Food Court (5th floor) the other day. Couldn't stop to eat then, but noticed a menu there that seemed a bit different from the Suk Rd location, in that everything seemed to be offered in combination plate variety (entree plus beans and rice), whereas the Suk Road shop leans more toward entrees only. I wish the Suk Road shop would make their burrito and taco offerings available via combination plates, as well.

Anyways, haven't gotten around to trying Senior Pico's yet. But even if it's a bust in terms of food (as some posters here have suggested), I think the combination of Sunrise Tacos and Charlie Brown's can at least keep me alive, when I need to take a break from the Thai food I truly love so much. PS - at present, Charlie Brown's is only open for dinner, starting at 5:30 pm I believe, so no lunch options there.

Happy eating... --John.

Good post.

You should try Coyote on Soi Convent, near Sala Daeng BTS, for another good Mexican option in bangkok. Went there today for their all-you-can-eat buffet lunch - very good and I ate so much i don;t think I'll need to eat again for a week! They also have some extra hot sauces which really do push the boundaries towards being too hot to be physically edible...

Happy eating... --John.

Good post.

You should try Coyote on Soi Convent, near Sala Daeng BTS, for another good Mexican option in bangkok. Went there today for their all-you-can-eat buffet lunch - very good and I ate so much i don;t think I'll need to eat again for a week! They also have some extra hot sauces which really do push the boundaries towards being too hot to be physically edible...

It is all crap in Thailand..........I have never eaten Mexican food in Thailand, but have eaten at places that think they are serving it. It is all crap. But, it is all that we have at the moment. So, when starved for it, you can either eat the crap or make it yourself. The problem is twofold: 1) no authentic ingredients are used (fresh), and 2) cooks/chefs here do not seem to know how to make it. I have heard it too many times........go there and it is wonderful........and then I go there and it is crap. I grew up in Texas and traveled all over Mexico and know Mexican food. I have never seen it in Thailand.

It is all crap in Thailand..........I have never eaten Mexican food in Thailand, but have eaten at places that think they are serving it. It is all crap. But, it is all that we have at the moment. So, when starved for it, you can either eat the crap or make it yourself. I have heard it too many times........go there and it is wonderful........and then I go there and it is crap. I grew up in Texas and traveled all over Mexico and know Mexican food. I have never seen it in Thailand.

This is California-style Mexican food and no, it would not be the best in San Francisco, but you got it in a little taco stand in the Mission, no one would complain either. This is the real deal.

These are the pictures that you asked for. Go there and eat your words:

www.miguels-cafe.com

Look under menus and click on the dish that you wish to see.

Edited by Ulysses G.

To JR who thinks everything is "crap".... lighten up a bit...learn to be happy in the LOS. No one ever said, or should think, Thailand is Mexico, Texas or So Cal... If we wanted to still live there, we'd be 8,000 miles away. But we don't, and I presume we are here because we WANT to live in Thailand.

Given that, there are at least a few passable Mexican food options here that can at least keep the hunger pangs at bay until you or I make the next trip state-side. Then we can indulge to our heart's content. But to call all the Mexican food offerings here in BKK "crap" isn't fair or decent.

At least, the folks running the best of these restaurants are trying, and recognize there's really a market for that style food here. If Americans and others here patronize the best of these places, it'll help show there's a market and demand for the food, and chances are the options will improve as time passes. Five years ago in BKK, I don't there there were anywhere near the Mexican food choice that exist today. That's a good sign the situation is improving, and will continue with time.

So, instead of blowing everything away as "crap," pitch in and lend a hand to make thing better. Swallow your pride, and an enchilada or two, here and there. :-)

John, formerly from Los Angeles

To JR who thinks everything is "crap".... lighten up a bit...learn to be happy in the LOS. No one ever said, or should think, Thailand is Mexico, Texas or So Cal... If we wanted to still live there, we'd be 8,000 miles away. But we don't, and I presume we are here because we WANT to live in Thailand.

Given that, there are at least a few passable Mexican food options here that can at least keep the hunger pangs at bay until you or I make the next trip state-side. Then we can indulge to our heart's content. But to call all the Mexican food offerings here in BKK "crap" isn't fair or decent.

At least, the folks running the best of these restaurants are trying, and recognize there's really a market for that style food here. If Americans and others here patronize the best of these places, it'll help show there's a market and demand for the food, and chances are the options will improve as time passes. Five years ago in BKK, I don't there there were anywhere near the Mexican food choice that exist today. That's a good sign the situation is improving, and will continue with time.

So, instead of blowing everything away as "crap," pitch in and lend a hand to make thing better. Swallow your pride, and an enchilada or two, here and there. :-)

I was wondering how long my challenge would stand unanswered. Seems like Miguel's Cafe might be serving something................

Really, it is possible to serve genuine Mexican food in Thailand if you have the knowledge and proper ingredients......we do not have to settle for less just because we are on the other side of the planet.

There are many examples of this: KFC in China is actually good (not in Thailand though); McDonald's in China is good (but not in Thailand); Subway has really improved its product in Thailand (congratulations).

I will leave with this observation, not using the word crap: Not one person has been able to bring authentic Mexican food to Thailand.

I will leave with this observation, not using the word crap: Not one person has been able to bring authentic Mexican food to Thailand.

You are still wrong.

Miguel's has good California-style Mexican food and lots of people who are as expert in Mexican food as yourself have deemed it "authentic" (and I sell books, not Mevican food).. :o

You are still wrong.

Miguel's has good California-style Mexican food and lots of people who are as expert in Mexican food as yourself have deemed it "authentic" (and I sell books, not Mevican food).. :o

UG how does the nachos at Miguel's compare to that of the Duke's? in chiang mai that is.

TB

Miguel's buys totilla corn chips from Bangkok that tastes much better than Dave's home made ones IMHO and the dish is mostly dependent on the quality of the chips.

One of the greatest gifts we possess as a species is IMAGINATION. With it, we can turn a bowl of c^%p into lobster with cream sauce. One thing is clear: Westerners living in Thailand want to eat good Mexican food.

I predict that the first person to offer real Mexican food will make a lot of money.......that person will also run all of the pretenders out of business or force them to produce good Mexican food. The bar will be raised on what is acceptable.......the definition of "good Mexican food" will change.

This will be a good thing for consumers, but producers will have to adapt to the new change. They will no longer be able to dress the food up in a Mexican hat, throw it on the plate, and overcharge customers.

The good news for current Mexican food restaurant owners is that Thailand has become an international destination and most people living here have no idea what real Mexican food is like.....some even think California-style Mexican food is Mexican food........ :o:D :D

I was wondering how long my challenge would stand unanswered. Seems like Miguel's Cafe might be serving something................

Really, it is possible to serve genuine Mexican food in Thailand if you have the knowledge and proper ingredients......we do not have to settle for less just because we are on the other side of the planet.

There are many examples of this: KFC in China is actually good (not in Thailand though); McDonald's in China is good (but not in Thailand); Subway has really improved its product in Thailand (congratulations).

KFC is good in China but not in Thailand.

McDonalds is good in Thailand but not in China.

Subway is improved.(in Thailand)

Mexican food in Thailand is crap.

A real food critic you are.

.some even think California-style Mexican food is Mexican food........

If all you are looking for is Tex-Mex, scrape up some dog poop in a bowl, cover it with beans and hot sauce and stick them all in the microwave. Voila...

Course it would be more authentic if you can find a Mexican dog! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...
I've always wondered why this is. I'm from Texas, home of the world's favorite variety of Mexican food (and Houston no less, where we invented it), so your opinion and mine on what constitutes good Mexican food will differ, but surely we could all come together on some decent chips and salsa. I am frequently amazed in Thailand that no one can get this right. I freely admit that I haven't eaten everywhere, but I've tried the Mexican at a lot of places - some of them highly recommended - and everything's been (even the chips and salsa) really poor so far. Expats here do so many other cuisines pretty well - I've had great Shwarma at the Lebanese place, pretty decent Italian and Indian, but never Mexican. Maybe one day when I open the bar (a regular bar) that I am forever mentally planning to open I'll see if I can conquer the challenge of chips and salsa in Thailand. I already make better salsa than anything I've had in Asia, so the real challenge is the chips. They'd be a pain in the ass to hand-make, though it could be done, but I have yet to find any truly decent ones (Tia Rosa por vida!) off the shelf in Bangers, so I don't think there's any other option.

On a side note, I used to also miss BBQ being from Texas. Now, the stuff they serve at The Great American Rib Company is a completely different variety than we cook in Texas, but Goddamn it's pretty good. They're friendly guys to boot, met them at their HH location when it was new. Anyway, hats off to Robb and Wes and the guys there who have allowed me to scratch BBQ (real smoked barbecue, not cooked on a grill like the rest of the world thinks is barbecue) off my list of stuff that you can't get an edible version of in Asia.

So Mexican food was invented in Texas you say :o

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...
I've always wondered why this is. I'm from Texas, home of the world's favorite variety of Mexican food (and Houston no less, where we invented it), so your opinion and mine on what constitutes good Mexican food will differ, but surely we could all come together on some decent chips and salsa. I am frequently amazed in Thailand that no one can get this right. I freely admit that I haven't eaten everywhere, but I've tried the Mexican at a lot of places - some of them highly recommended - and everything's been (even the chips and salsa) really poor so far. Expats here do so many other cuisines pretty well - I've had great Shwarma at the Lebanese place, pretty decent Italian and Indian, but never Mexican. Maybe one day when I open the bar (a regular bar) that I am forever mentally planning to open I'll see if I can conquer the challenge of chips and salsa in Thailand. I already make better salsa than anything I've had in Asia, so the real challenge is the chips. They'd be a pain in the ass to hand-make, though it could be done, but I have yet to find any truly decent ones (Tia Rosa por vida!) off the shelf in Bangers, so I don't think there's any other option.

On a side note, I used to also miss BBQ being from Texas. Now, the stuff they serve at The Great American Rib Company is a completely different variety than we cook in Texas, but Goddamn it's pretty good. They're friendly guys to boot, met them at their HH location when it was new. Anyway, hats off to Robb and Wes and the guys there who have allowed me to scratch BBQ (real smoked barbecue, not cooked on a grill like the rest of the world thinks is barbecue) off my list of stuff that you can't get an edible version of in Asia.

A lot of really silly posts here......(except the comment above by Tutsiwarrior). B the way, Texas used to be spelled Tejas and was part of Mexico (but so was California). No, Mexican food was invented in.....let me think.......MEXICO.

Just eat it and believe you are getting authentic Mexican food. No problem. But I still want real Mexican food.

About McD's in China....it is good and it very different from Thailand's McD's........the Chinese know how to do it right. Same for KFC in China.

Subway used to be crap in Thailand but now it is good because they decided to improve the quality. Subway changed its style and started making food like back in the USA and is now very successful in Thailand..........there is a lesson here for those that are trying to make Mexican food.

I try not to eat KFC or McDonalds in ANY country.... home or abroad.

But...for the posts above that like KFC or Mikkie D's in China, can you order the burgers or chicken there that come laced with the date rape drug.... same as the kiddy toys the Chinese imported into the U.S. lately??????????

I think they call it.. the McComa... right???????????

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/r...ce_N.htm?csp=34

:o:D:D

A lot of really silly posts here......(except the comment above by Tutsiwarrior). B the way, Texas used to be spelled Tejas and was part of Mexico (but so was California). No, Mexican food was invented in.....let me think.......MEXICO.

Just eat it and believe you are getting authentic Mexican food. No problem. But I still want real Mexican food.

About McD's in China....it is good and it very different from Thailand's McD's........the Chinese know how to do it right. Same for KFC in China.

Subway used to be crap in Thailand but now it is good because they decided to improve the quality. Subway changed its style and started making food like back in the USA and is now very successful in Thailand..........there is a lesson here for those that are trying to make Mexican food.

I'm so relieved to learn that Mexican food was developed in Mexico, I had a slight suspicion that might be the case but, well, you can live and learn! :D

I do have very fond memories of my years in San Diego in the late 60's and our weekend trips to Ensenada and La Bufadero, stopping first in Tijuana and buying twelve taco's for a dollar from street vendors - amazing food or so it seemed at the time. I also have fond memories of stopping at Rosarita Beach when it was just a cafe and a couple of houses and Brit friends with us ordered a hamburger whilst the rest of us ordered Mexican food. The Mexican food came, was eaten and plates were cleared and still no sign of the hamburgers. A quick trip to the kitchen revealed the wife and two daughters desperately trying to reduce steak into small enough pieces to make hamburgers by cutting it up.

I have never understood why there is so little good quality Mexican food in Thailand because it is surely one of the simplest foods to prepare and cook. But as with so many other foreign food dishes in Thailand there is a general willingness to provide 70% on the quality front but no motivation to provide the last 30%. The market is surely ripe for the picking by someone who really believes in quality products.

Edited by chiang mai

You are still wrong.

Miguels could do one thing to put them over the top. Offer some more salsa choices. Especially a HOTTER one that really tastes of jalapenos. Otherwise, I think they are doing a great job. For the price they are asking for what they give you, I would eat there sometimes even if they were located in the San Francisco Mission district.

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first optimistic visit today to the Taco Loco shop on Silom Road near Saladaeng BTS station. The owners there, who hail from my former home in California, seem like great guys and were very friendly and helpful.

But, must say, as a Mexican food lover who's eaten everything offered anywhere in Southern California (and elsewhere) for my whole life, the food at Taco Loco was something of a disappointment, even starting out with the clear understanding that this is Thailand and Mexican food isn't native here.

After sampling Taco Loco's 89 baht burrito, 89 baht "macho nachos," and a 55 baht side order of chips and salsa, my judgement is the food at Taco Loco, while certainly cheaper in price per item, doesn't even come close to matching the pretty good offerings at Sunrise Tacos or Charlie Browns, both of which I've given reasonably favorable reviews in other posts here lately.

To anyone familiar with California, Taco Loco is easy to spot along Silom Road because they've pretty much appropriated the logo of a familiar Mexican fast food chain from Cali, Del Taco, and made it their own with a few modifications. But, whereas Del Taco Mexican actually can be pretty good and cheap fast food (such as they use freshly grated cheddar cheese, unlike Taco Bell), Taco Loco's offerings made me long for a Del Taco burrito. And that's not a good sign.

For me, it certainly was a bad omen when my "macho nachos" arrived in a pretty tiny square paper box, and the only cheese to be found was a small drizzling of what looked like melted Velveeta cheese spread, along with very thin, limp shavings of what appeared to be lettuce. When I asked about the cheese upon leaving, the owners told me they'd started out using real shredded cheese at the beginning, but said they were asked by customers to switch to a pre-prepared nacho cheese sauce from home. In any event, the taste and texture were non-existant. To their credit, the guys offered to use real shredded cheddar next time, upon request.

The Taco Loco burrito, medium sized and certainly smaller and lighter than the more expensive 120-130 baht offerings at Sunrise Tacos, arrived absolutely plain in a plastic basket. While they did include frijoles on the inside of the burritos, as well as on the top of the nachos, both left an overall bland, pretty tasteless impression. If Mexican food is good, you can taste the different elements inside--onions, beans, cheese, chiles, etc. and they all blend together into something good. Here, everything blended into pretty much nothing, and it was hard to distinguish the taste of anything particular.

I went to Taco Loco feeling hungry and ready to eat, suffering that pang from home for Mexican food. But after spending close to 300 baht (almost $10 U.S.) on the three menu items and an included soft drink, I went home still feeling hungry and unsatisfied, and seriously considered making a side trip to Sunrise Tacos on the way home for something better. Instead, I settled for a very tasty roast beef sandwich from the Bangkok Baking Co. from my frig, since I'd already spent money for the day.

If I'm still hankering for an entire roast beef sandwich after a full meal at Taco Loco, it's a pretty clear sign something is seriously missing there...starting with the taste.

--John.

Made my first optimistic visit today to the Taco Loco shop on Silom Road near Saladaeng BTS station. The owners there, who hail from my former home in California, seem like great guys and were very friendly and helpful.

But, must say, as a Mexican food lover who's eaten everything offered anywhere in Southern California (and elsewhere) for my whole life, the food at Taco Loco was something of a disappointment, even starting out with the clear understanding that this is Thailand and Mexican food isn't native here.

After sampling Taco Loco's 89 baht burrito, 89 baht "macho nachos," and a 55 baht side order of chips and salsa, my judgement is the food at Taco Loco, while certainly cheaper in price per item, doesn't even come close to matching the pretty good offerings at Sunrise Tacos or Charlie Browns, both of which I've given reasonably favorable reviews in other posts here lately.

To anyone familiar with California, Taco Loco is easy to spot along Silom Road because they've pretty much appropriated the logo of a familiar Mexican fast food chain from Cali, Del Taco, and made it their own with a few modifications. But, whereas Del Taco Mexican actually can be pretty good and cheap fast food (such as they use freshly grated cheddar cheese, unlike Taco Bell), Taco Loco's offerings made me long for a Del Taco burrito. And that's not a good sign.

For me, it certainly was a bad omen when my "macho nachos" arrived in a pretty tiny square paper box, and the only cheese to be found was a small drizzling of what looked like melted Velveeta cheese spread, along with very thin, limp shavings of what appeared to be lettuce. When I asked about the cheese upon leaving, the owners told me they'd started out using real shredded cheese at the beginning, but said they were asked by customers to switch to a pre-prepared nacho cheese sauce from home. In any event, the taste and texture were non-existant. To their credit, the guys offered to use real shredded cheddar next time, upon request.

The Taco Loco burrito, medium sized and certainly smaller and lighter than the more expensive 120-130 baht offerings at Sunrise Tacos, arrived absolutely plain in a plastic basket. While they did include frijoles on the inside of the burritos, as well as on the top of the nachos, both left an overall bland, pretty tasteless impression. If Mexican food is good, you can taste the different elements inside--onions, beans, cheese, chiles, etc. and they all blend together into something good. Here, everything blended into pretty much nothing, and it was hard to distinguish the taste of anything particular.

I went to Taco Loco feeling hungry and ready to eat, suffering that pang from home for Mexican food. But after spending close to 300 baht (almost $10 U.S.) on the three menu items and an included soft drink, I went home still feeling hungry and unsatisfied, and seriously considered making a side trip to Sunrise Tacos on the way home for something better. Instead, I settled for a very tasty roast beef sandwich from the Bangkok Baking Co. from my frig, since I'd already spent money for the day.

If I'm still hankering for an entire roast beef sandwich after a full meal at Taco Loco, it's a pretty clear sign something is seriously missing there...starting with the taste.

--John.

I have not eaten at Miguels and am intrigued by what people are saying about it. The next time I am in Chiang Mai I will give it a try.

Some people reading this thread would probably like input on how to make their product better. I would like to state that I think a major problem is lack of authentic, fresh ingredients. The dried products you get off the shelf in Foodland are not sufficient.

It is not just knowing how to make something that looks like a taco, if you do not have good beef, cheese, and spices, forget it........it becomes more like Taco Bell (which is OK if that is what you are attempting to do but not OK if you are attempting to make authentic Mexican food).

Anyway, thanks for trying to bring Mexican food to Thailand. I know it is not easy to start a new restaurant........so many challenges to overcome. One major challenge will be when Taco Bell comes to Thailand again.........just around the corner.

I just went to the Sunrise Tacos last night on my annual Visa extension trip to BKK. I was greeted at the door by Greg himself and we had a chat in between his running around helping/training the staff. Greg's cuisine has been inspired by the Chipotle Grill chain in the USA which I would describe as 'light' Cal-Mex food... Chipotle Grill now has 670 locations so this formula has proved very popular and successful in the USA.

If you base REAL Mexican food on East LA, Mission SF or Salinas area, or Texas, then this is not it. However, as Khun Greg has a client base consisting of Americans resident in Thailand, tourists from all countries including those who have never tasted REAL Mexican food, and the local Thai community, he has come up with a pretty good compromise. And even in Mex-American communities in the USA the TacoBell formula is quite popular.

All in all, the grilled Carnitas burrito with black beans and guacamole was a nice treat... when I travel each year to the USA I visit the REAL places in TX or CA as much as I can and get it out my system... nothing beats Mexican cuisine made with REAL lard!

BTW Tex-Mex cuisine originated in the early 1700's when Spain brought residents of the Canary Islands to settle in what is now SanAntonio and their cuisine blended blended with the indigenous Mexican cuisine.

I just went to the Sunrise Tacos last night on my annual Visa extension trip to BKK. I was greeted at the door by Greg himself and we had a chat in between his running around helping/training the staff. Greg's cuisine has been inspired by the Chipotle Grill chain in the USA which I would describe as 'light' Cal-Mex food... Chipotle Grill now has 670 locations so this formula has proved very popular and successful in the USA.

If you base REAL Mexican food on East LA, Mission SF or Salinas area, or Texas, then this is not it. However, as Khun Greg has a client base consisting of Americans resident in Thailand, tourists from all countries including those who have never tasted REAL Mexican food, and the local Thai community, he has come up with a pretty good compromise. And even in Mex-American communities in the USA the TacoBell formula is quite popular.

All in all, the grilled Carnitas burrito with black beans and guacamole was a nice treat... when I travel each year to the USA I visit the REAL places in TX or CA as much as I can and get it out my system... nothing beats Mexican cuisine made with REAL lard!

BTW Tex-Mex cuisine originated in the early 1700's when Spain brought residents of the Canary Islands to settle in what is now SanAntonio and their cuisine blended blended with the indigenous Mexican cuisine.

Sunrise Taco should do well and probably should, IMHO, separate itself from Taco Bell.......I have heard that TB (ha ha ha) will be coming to Thailand and they have lots of money muscle. One current advantage is that most Westerners in Thailand do not have a clue what authentic Mexican food taste like. Russians are a good example.........but Russians like meat so the carnitas burrito might work for them (or maybe a red beets with vodka marinated beef burrito.....ha ha ha...Bendix would probably know). Whatever.......I love Mexican food and wish the best for those trying to make a living selling it.