Will this work for me using the METV visa.

Hi.

I plan to stay in Thailand for 7 months.

Here is my schedule. Tell me if this will work.

Get a METV from NY Consulate on 52nd street. Cost: $200.00 .

Expected to Arrive in Bangkok April 7, 2016.

April, May, June – Thailand.

Note1: Get a 30 day extension (end of May) at Thai Immigration. Cost: 1900 Baht.

Note2: Do a same day visa run (end of June) at Cambodian boarder: Cost: 2000 Baht.

July, August – Thailand.

September, October – Cambodia.

Note3: Get a Single Entry Tourist for Thailand. Cost $54.00.

November, December – Thailand.

Return to New York December 21, 2016.

Questions:

a. Will this work using a METV and Single Entry visa?

b. If I want to enter Thailand on April 7th and not lose any days, When should I apply for my METV visa at the NYC Consulate?

Do you see any alternatives where I can save cost?

Thanks. Tom.

You seem to gave it covered. The experts will be along shortly. Only thing I notice is that seems you pretty much just want to stay in los. Great thing about the METV is you can go in out thailand and not need reentry permit.

Why not mix up a setv along with few visa exempt stamps. Flights in out thai are cheap. Just do extensions with stamps and setv. Mind you the guys in the know don't often recommend visa exempt entries. Beats me

• If you get a METV it will allow you to enter/exit as often as you want for 6 months from the date the visa is issued.
  • On the first and every entry you are granted 60 day permit to stay. (April, May)
  • At the end of each 60 days you can apply for a 30 day extension. (June)
  • Just before the extension expires you exit/re-enter Thailand.
  • Another 60 day stay (July, August)
  • Another 30 day extension (September).
  • NO NEW VISA NEEDED.
  • Your METV is valid for entries right up to the 'enter before' date. This date will be 6 months from the issue date.
  • If you exit/re-enter on or before the 'enter before' date, which maybe before the September extension finishes, you will get a new 60 day stay. (October, November).
  • At the end of this 60 days you can apply for another 30 day extension. (December).

Note that you should apply for the METV as close to your entry date in to Thailand as possible. Every day between the issue date and entry date reduces the 6 months by 1 day.

Edited by elviajero

@elviajero.

Thanks for your reply.

Just a little confused on the METV extension.

I want to be in Cambodia 6-8 weeks. I choose September & October to be there.

Are you saying I don't need to apply for a single entry Tourist visa for Thailand while in Cambodia.

I can return to Thailand in November with my METV visa still active?

How many days will I have left on my METV visa when I return at the Suvarnabhumi airport in November.

Thanks.

Tom.

@Jacksam

Thanks for your reply.

The only way I can see having a Single Tourist Visa with my 9 month schedule:

( Use Single Tourist visa + 30 day extension - April, May, June ).

(Get an extra 30 day extension immigration July),

(Go to Cambodia August & September).

(Get a free 30 day on arrival at BKK airport October)

(Get a extra 30 day @ immigration November)

But then that leaves me with 21 days in December in Thailand with no visa).

Your Thoughts.

Tom

@elviajero.

Thanks for your reply.

Just a little confused on the METV extension.

I want to be in Cambodia 6-8 weeks. I choose September & October to be there.

Are you saying I don't need to apply for a single entry Tourist visa for Thailand while in Cambodia.

I can return to Thailand in November with my METV visa still active?

How many days will I have left on my METV visa when I return at the Suvarnabhumi airport in November.

Sorry Tom, I misread your post. I thought you were going to Cambodia specifically to get a visa.

If you were issued the METV on the 1st April (example) the last day you could (use) enter using the METV would be the 30th September. So if you are returning from Cambodia after that date (or actual visas last date) you would either need a new single entry visa (SETV) from Cambodia OR you could re-enter Thailand using visa exempt entry.

Visa exempt entry gives 30 days on entry which can be extended at immigration by another 30 days if necessary. The only proviso is that the airline flying you from Cambodia might want to see an onward flight out of Thailand dated within 30 days of arrival. So this option will work if you entered within 30 days of your flight home.

If you have flexibility for the trip to Cambodia, and time the re-entry to Thailand before the METV expires, you'll still be able to utilise the METV for the whole of your stay.

Edited by elviajero

@elviajero

Ok, I think I got it now.

If I enter on a METV April 1.

Stay in Thailand April, May, June.

July & August I stay in Cambodia.

Return to Thailand August 31 fro Cambodia.

My METV enter Before date is September 1st .

I arrive at Bkk Airport August 31, I will then get another 60 days my METV visa.

Now I can stay (Sept, Oct Nov) then get another 2nd 30 day exempt @immigration and stay until December 21st.

Just a matter of juggling my Cambodia 2 months.

No Single Tourist Visa required.

Sounds Good Thanks

Tom.

@elviajero

I arrive at Bkk Airport August 31, I will then get another 60 days my METV visa.

Now I can stay (Sept, Oct Nov) then get another 2nd 30 day exempt @immigration and stay until December 21st.

Sounds Good Thanks

Tom.

I think your on the right track but just to clarify.

• The visa is valid for 6 months from it's issue date and not from the date you first enter.
  • Plan your re-entry from Cambodia to be on or before whatever 'enter before' date is printed on the METV.
  • You are only allowed one 30 day extension from immigration for each entry.

If you buy the visa on April 1st (issue date) it will be valid until September 30th (enter before) date. Your first entry in to Thailand doesn't change anything. Try to time your return from Cambodia for the last week of September. That way the new 60 day entry will cover October and November, and you can apply for a 30 day extension towards the end of November that will see you through to December 21st.

$ 200 USD for the METV in NY? Wow.

If you get the visa just before departure for Thailand and make one last exit/entry just before it expires you can get 8 months in Thailand on visa entries (plus 30 days more by getting an extension). Less than 85 cents per day in country. Shouldn't be a budget-buster.

To re-emphasize what Elviajero said a couple of times. The six month clock starts ticking from the date the embassy or consulate issues the visa and not from the day you first enter Thailand.

@elviajero

Sounds Good Thanks

Tom.

"If I enter on a METV April 1.
My METV enter Before date is September 1st ."
The date you first enter Thailand is irrelevant. The enter by date will be six months from when the consulate issued the visa.

About the NY consulate I can tell you I had a very quick turnaround. I did drive down to hand deliver the documents and ask a few questions but did not want to drive back to pick up my passport being about 40 minutes outside the city. I gave them a self addressed USPS priority mail envelope (pre weighed with my passport) and had my passport back in my hand 2 days later. I had no choice to apply two weeks prior to arrival in BKK because I needed my passport for a Caribbean trip prior to going to Thailand. Bottom line expect a fast turn around from NY so you won't cut to many days of your METV. Do post your experience.

Sorry, I don't understand why, if the visa is valid for 6 months, you have to get an extension after 2 months. Can you please explain?

The "visa" is valid for 6 months but only provides for 60 days stays. A sixty day stay can be extended for another 30 days. The the country must be exited. Using the "visa" another 60 days stay can be obtained, repeatedly until the visa expires.

Sorry, I don't understand why, if the visa is valid for 6 months, you have to get an extension after 2 months. Can you please explain?

• Each entry is granted a 60 day permit to stay.
  • You must leave the country at the end of 60 days.
  • You can delay leaving by 30 days with an extension of stay, but you do not need to get an extension. It's a choice.
  • You can exit/re-enter the country every 60 days.
  • The last possible entry is on or before the 'enter before' date (expiry date) of the visa.

@elviajero.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Issue date vs arrival date.

Given 24hrs after my first post, I realize using the METV+Single Tourist Visa path might be more economical than METV+ 30 day extensions(Exempt).

Note: I have been prearranging staying in Cambodia for a 2 months vacation. Not just to get a visa.

Assume I enter Thailand, with minimal lost days using the METV visa.

Using METV + 30 day Exempts.

April, May, June - Thailand

July, August - Cambodia

September October - Thailand (using the 2nd 60 day METV).

November – Thailand (Get 1st 30 day Exempt) 1900 Baht

December – Thailand (Get 2nd 30 day Exempt) 1900 Baht

Cost: $108.00 based on 35.0 U.S. exchange rate.

Using METV + Single Tourist Visa.

April, May June – Thailand

July, August- Thailand

September, October – Cambodia (Get 60 day Tourist Visa for Thailand)

November, December – Thailand(Use 60 day Tourist Visa).

Cost: $54.00 Tourist Visa.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Tom.

@elviajero.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Issue date vs arrival date.

Given 24hrs after my first post, I realize using the METV+Single Tourist Visa path might be more economical than METV+ 30 day extensions(Exempt).

Note: I have been prearranging staying in Cambodia for a 2 months vacation. Not just to get a visa.

Assume I enter Thailand, with minimal lost days using the METV visa.

Using METV + 30 day Exempts.

April, May, June - Thailand

July, August - Cambodia

September October - Thailand (using the 2nd 60 day METV).

November – Thailand (Get 1st 30 day Exempt) 1900 Baht

December – Thailand (Get 2nd 30 day Exempt) 1900 Baht

Cost: $108.00 based on 35.0 U.S. exchange rate.

Using METV + Single Tourist Visa.

April, May June – Thailand

July, August- Thailand

September, October – Cambodia (Get 60 day Tourist Visa for Thailand)

November, December – Thailand(Use 60 day Tourist Visa).

Cost: $54.00 Tourist Visa.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Tom.

You are right that the SETV option from Cambodia is slightly cheaper, but I think the difference in cost is only about 900 baht. Being the difference between an extension of stay 1,900 baht and the cost of a new visa 1,000 baht.

• The first option would require two extension of stays (3,800 baht) plus a border OUT/IN run.
  • The second would require one extension (1,900 baht) plus one SETV (1,000 baht) plus a border OUT/IN run.

Hi

I have a similar query like the OP.

I have to be in Thailand for 3 months for family reason, but have to do around 4/5 weeks work in Cambodia during some of the time. So I could leave and re-enter Thailand at least once, but possibly twice, during that period.

I guess the options could be

1) METV visa for £125 (coming from UK)

2) If I book my flight to Cambodia before I leave (I understand the visa situation there), would I be able to just rely on the tourist entry stamps (I would have my flight out of Thailand within 30 days on arrival, and I would have my flight out of Thailand back to UK for the second visit within 30days. Is there a problem with getting a few tourist stamps in place of visas?

3) Is there an easier option I am not aware of.

Thanks a lot for any help

Hi

I have to be in Thailand for 3 months for family reason, but have to do around 4/5 weeks work in Cambodia during some of the time. So I could leave and re-enter Thailand at least once, but possibly twice, during that period.

2) If I book my flight to Cambodia before I leave (I understand the visa situation there), would I be able to just rely on the tourist entry stamps (I would have my flight out of Thailand within 30 days on arrival, and I would have my flight out of Thailand back to UK for the second visit within 30days. Is there a problem with getting a few tourist stamps in place of visas?

Yes, if you have the METV you can enter/exit (max stay per entry of 60 days + 30 day extension) as often as you want for the life of the visa.

When you say family, are you married to a Thai or have Thai children?

Hi

Yes, if you have the METV you can enter/exit (max stay per entry of 60 days + 30 day extension) as often as you want for the life of the visa.

When you say family, are you married to a Thai or have Thai children?

Thanks for your reply

I have a young child there and I have to date been coming back and forward for a month at a time, as I work in Europe and other parts of SE Asia, and am contributing all the usual stuff.

I understand METV is good, I am just wondering whether there is any issue with just doing the tourist 30day entry over and over, if I only spend a max of 30days there...I have to do that anyway no matter what visa I had, because I work all over the place, is there an issue at immigration with someone such as me accumulating many tourist stamps, it being obvious I am revisting at least 4/5 times per year?

Edited by sureno