Morning Assembly

eldragon

Any idea what's going on at morning assembly? What are they talking about? What are they telling the kids? I imagine there some announcements about what's going on at school, but most of the time is used for indoctrination about how to be good boys and girls. Where I come from we'd have something like that once a month or even once a semester. But every day? Seems like a bit much.

New teacher huh! Most mornings tells about activities and tests and how to be a good student. Some is about punishment as well. Then of course you have the school song and the kings song and soon maybe you will have Mr. P's song hehee... I also think their is some review of the values required to learn by Mr. P.

New teacher huh! Most mornings tells about activities and tests and how to be a good student. Some is about punishment as well. Then of course you have the school song and the kings song and soon maybe you will have Mr. P's song hehee... I also think their is some review of the values required to learn by Mr. P.

Not new, but I don't speak Thai like a native and never bothered to ask anyone. What you described is pretty much what I always assumed. Just seems a little redundant.

Thai officials love waffling on. It's part of the culture. They can't help themselves. Just watch the news. Working in Thailand you're either not being told something very important, or being lectured at length on something irrelevant. The middle ground is very rare.

Not new, but I don't speak Thai like a native and never bothered to ask anyone. What you described is pretty much what I always assumed. Just seems a little redundant.

Of course it is redundant. That is how Thais learn. You must be new if you think that "redundant" is not normal. It's called learning the rote way. Dumb, but it's as smart as the "No fail" concept. coffee1.gif

Redundant in the West yes, and just look at the mess that lot are in, dare not speak about anything for fear of offending someone and being arrested, DNA taken and possibly prosecuted, no real identity as national flags and Anthems are banned as they may cause offence. Its good the kids are taught they actually have an identity rather than belonging to some multi culti melting pot that cow tows to all except for the indigenous population.

I had a guesthouse next to a school and the morning assembly conducted by the Deputy Headmistress was conducted in a dreadful nasally and nagging voice on overamplified mics ...and rarely lasted less than 45 minutes. This was 7.30 am daily.It drove me and my guests crazy and I was happy to leave the place within a year...

She was the worst form of teacher...

Notice that the students talk to each other during these moments of wisdom. That's the other thing they love - ignoring whoever is talking. Really it's just worthless drivel, like making them wear uniforms or flag ceromonies or singing songs about Thailand or courses in "moral." What they fail to realize is that respect begins with the self and then is extended to others.

Redundant in the West yes, and just look at the mess that lot are in, dare not speak about anything for fear of offending someone and being arrested, DNA taken and possibly prosecuted, no real identity as national flags and Anthems are banned as they may cause offence. Its good the kids are taught they actually have an identity rather than belonging to some multi culti melting pot that cow tows to all except for the indigenous population.

Good point, and one I thought of when I created this post. Thai kids- while not always respectful- are rarely disrespectful, if that makes sense. Im sure whatever manners theyre being indoctrinated with every morning play no small part in that. Still, seems like a freedom v safety issue, and Im not sure I like it. In the west, I saw my teachers as my educators and was led to look elsewhere for values. Kinda hard to accept the school as a place for both, but I suppose its just a cultural difference and I shouldnt knock it.

don't forget the raising of the flag and the National Anthem....

That occupies less than 5 minutes. The schools Ive worked at have em out there for 30 or more minutes per day on most days.

Used to work in a college where the director could rant on, sometimes up to 2 and 3 hours for the morning assembly. All the students and faculty talking in full voices with each other while he raved on. Students and teachers fainting in the heat. Impromptu class cancellations. It was the consensus that the director was imbalanced (but they didn't use as polite a word).

He only lasted 8 years at that school before they bumped him up to an even more important position in the Ministry of Education. Hope he found an audience there.

That occupies less than 5 minutes. The schools Ive worked at have em out there for 30 or more minutes per day on most days.

Used to work in a college where the director could rant on, sometimes up to 2 and 3 hours for the morning assembly. All the students and faculty talking in full voices with each other while he raved on. Students and teachers fainting in the heat. Impromptu class cancellations. It was the consensus that the director was imbalanced (but they didn't use as polite a word).

He only lasted 8 years at that school before they bumped him up to an even more important position in the Ministry of Education. Hope he found an audience there.

Anything more than 30 minutes is getting ridiculous. But it seems like a behavior that's passed down here. Many of my Thai friends who have worked abroad said Thais usually take four times as long to discuss matters. Hear horror stories about all day meetings that accomplish nothing.

Anything more than 30 minutes is getting ridiculous. But it seems like a behavior that's passed down here. Many of my Thai friends who have worked abroad said Thais usually take four times as long to discuss matters. Hear horror stories about all day meetings that accomplish nothing.

Been privy to 2 & 3 hour faculty meetings: 70% Thai / 30% foreigners. Foreigners kept pushing for substantive action with delegation of responsibilities brought up in the meeting. Too frustrating for the Thais. Result: all foreigners banned from future faculty meetings.

My last 3 years at that faculty (the "ban" years), only heard about departmental business (often heavily affecting foreign teachers) AFTER it had been discussed and decided by the 70% Thai faculty--many of these with Ph.D.'s from Western universities. They certainly didn't pick up democracy and cross-cultural consensus in their training.

One thing I didn't miss from the meetings: Appeared they often preferred the 1-hour rants of the dept. head--not dissimilar to their pre-university years.

Hard to escape our backgrounds.

My first school, a big and well- known " Anuban" with an EP topped them all.

You could see kids collapsing dehydrated standing in the heat for up to an hour per day. None of the Thai teachers even listened to what the PO had to say. And I have to agree with them, because almost all was utter rubbish.

We foreign teachers had to prepare "the word for the day", which later became more and more complex, including students' interaction. We tried to make a lot of fun, but were advised to take it more serious. Isn't life already serious enough?

I remember some days where the director completely forgot what he wanted to say, right in the middle of a long and boring speech about stuff nobody wanted to listen to. and he just gave the microphone to somebody next to him. Usually to a Farang teacher.

Thai teachers usually use the flag up ceremony for their gossip about their enemies, their farcebook updates, gigs and role models as Mia Noi's. Of course are single and handsome foreigners a very good topic, instead of listening to the ol' man's speech.

This year seems to be full of surprises. I attended the highly important event on my first day where I had to introduce myself. Then I found out that my Asian colleague didn't go out and we stayed in our "office " that looks more like a trash bin.

This Monday then the incredible message: "Start the word of the day today." Now I'm standing in the sun for about 40 minutes from Monday to Friday, think about educational useful words like faag, shieeht, or beetch and sing my most favorite song.

Life can be worse. And it has gotten worse. Keep your clown shoes tidy.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

My first school, a big and well- known " Anuban" with an EP topped them all.

You could see kids collapsing dehydrated standing in the heat for up to an hour per day. None of the Thai teachers even listened to what the PO had to say. And I have to agree with them, because almost all was utter rubbish.

We foreign teachers had to prepare "the word for the day", which later became more and more complex, including students' interaction. We tried to make a lot of fun, but were advised to take it more serious. Isn't life already serious enough?

I remember some days where the director completely forgot what he wanted to say, right in the middle of a long and boring speech about stuff nobody wanted to listen to. and he just gave the microphone to somebody next to him. Usually to a Farang teacher.

Thai teachers usually use the flag up ceremony for their gossip about their enemies, their farcebook updates, gigs and role models as Mia Noi's. Of course are single and handsome foreigners a very good topic, instead of listening to the ol' man's speech.

This year seems to be full of surprises. I attended the highly important event on my first day where I had to introduce myself. Then I found out that my Asian colleague didn't go out and we stayed in our "office " that looks more like a trash bin.

This Monday then the incredible message: "Start the word of the day today." Now I'm standing in the sun for about 40 minutes from Monday to Friday, think about educational useful words like faag, shieeht, or beetch and sing my most favorite song.

Life can be worse. And it has gotten worse. Keep your clown shoes tidy.-facepalm.gif

Love the ones with no consideration for first period or the fact that if the kids miss it they might not have that subject for another week.

I have been told, several times, that one of my P6 classes is the worst behaved class in the school during Morning Assembly. blink.png

This morning I went to talk to them about this and tried that old management trick of trying to make them part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. I asked them for suggestions as to how we could reduce their chatter in the morning. Their only suggestion was to tape their mouths shut. facepalm.gif They also pointed out that the morning assembly was boring, as waste of time and mainly oriented toward the younger students.

As I agree with them 100%, that will be the end of my disciplinary efforts in that area! tongue.png

As a Kid I had to go through this torture everyday to. I think all Kids should have to. It builds character.

We started the day by raising the Flag and swearing our allegiance to Flag and Country. Which until 1965 was the UK Union Jack as we did not have our own Flag until then. The Principal would then speak for awhile and point out any problems the school was having with students, give out awards, and tell us of any upcoming events, like Fire Drills.

Then the Old Spinster School Teacher had her turn with song singing. Odd that there was always some school teacher besides her, who knew how to play a piano. It started with "God Save the Queen" and ended when she felt like it. Which was usually 30 to 45 minutes later or until one of the girls fainted for standing so long. Which ever came first.

Odd that after so many years later I still remember some of those crazy songs she made us learn and sing. Who knows "Christmas is a coming and the Geese are getting fat" "Please put a penny in this old mans hat". God! I wonder now if she didn't make up these songs herself and forced us to sing them to her.

A big part of education is the indoctrination of students to prepare them to be what is considered to be good citizens. This is true for most countries.

In Thailand, that includes learning to stand or sit for long periods of time and quietly listen to someone talk about something that you have no interest in. To do it well, you cannot be playing with a mobile phone. If you can do this, then you are prepared to be a good citizen and a big part of your education has been successfully completed. The remainder is just fluff and you will get 50%.