Kicking the coffee habit

I always bragged about the fact that in 42 years on this planet I didn't pick up any addictions.

However, about 8 years ago (probably out of stress and some depression) I started drinking coffee. 2-3 cups a day. I mean.... I never drunk a single cup of coffee before. I don't know what it is, but it just makes me feel calmer and stress free. I really enjoy it. Good coffee and bad coffee.

The problem is that as I wrote on this forum before, I got a bad case of LPR which affects my breathing. When I take a PPI the breathing improves. I am sure if I stopped drinking this acid poison completely (I am down one cup a day now), it would probably eliminate 50% of my problems. I still get worse after eating certain foods which I am unable to narrow down.

So, how to kick this habit?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had it brought to me at first. Then I ordered it COD from lazada Aroma Brand. I imagine Fuji markets in Bkk will have the premium stuff. The Aroma is pretty cheap at 676b for 400g. When I bought it I thought I would only be getting 100g. but the package arrived with 4 , 100g bags. Do a bit of reading about it on the internet. Its a super food.

Im no expert but I like it. It taste a bit more heavy than the expensive one I had. It is 100% green tea powder with no additives. The GF makes lattes with it and adds sugar. I wouldnt let her do that with the DoMatcha I had.........

Caffeine weakens the esophageal sphincter so will indeed make reflux worse. Tea (including matcha) will do the same, the problem is the caffeine.

I would start by mixing the coffee you usually drink with decaf, and gradually increase the ratio of decaf bit by bit until it is all decaf. If you take milk in your coffee, increasing the milk to coffee ratio would also help.

What do you call coffee? I drink three cups of freshly milled coffee every morning without problems, it's cheese and butter that give me problems. Instant 'coffee' and decaff is full of chemical muck that don't do my stomach any good at all.

He has esophageal reflux, that is a different matter. For people with that problem, caffeine in any form needs to be avoided or minimized.

or gall stones.

I understand one is often mistaken for the other.

Excuse my ignorance but what's lpr and ppl

Oh and like most addictions the major problem in giving them up is in your head,, man up <deleted> just stop. you might get a head ache for a day ish max. That's it. then the routines broken and then your down to managing it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LPR is laryngo-pharyngeal reflux. It is the same thing as gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD) except that the reflux comes up higher and into the pharynx and then affects the airways.

PPI = proton pump inhibitor, a type of medication used to decrease stomach acidity in treatment of ulcers, gastritis or reflux. In the case of reflux it doesn't stop it but it reduces the irritation it causes by making the relfuxed matter less acidic.

^ What would be the cost of nissen fundoplication in Bangkok?

My guess would be 200-250 K in a private hospital. Maybe a tad under 200K if in a less expensive private hospital

Would be going through the semi-private channel of Chula (after hours clinic) to get it done there as would save a considerable amount. Chulka is where this procedure was first done in Thailand.

Looks like these are the best doctors for it in Thailand. Both are on faculty at Chula:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Poochong-Timratana (also at Bangkok Hospital and at Phyathai 2 - Phyathai would be less expensive than the other two places)

https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Chadin-Tharavej (also at Bangkok Hospital)

Might able to accesseither of them through the after hours clinic at Chula, but likely a long wait for the appointment

I'm sure you could find tests/reports to say everything you eat or drink is bad for you, or good for you depending on what you want to read or believe...

Myself drink coffee, and have done since a small kid, so over 60 years, always hatted Tea, I have cut down a lot, these days every morning drink only 7 mugs of black coffee, until about 15 years ago drank 30 + cups/mugs of coffee a day for many years. always black with no sugar.

Was fine with Coffee until H Pylori decided to invade me...started having weak spells and stomach still not happy, (had test, H P treated) through process of elimination, coffee was one of the culprits, so tried the iced tea, in the coffee shops, now that seems to be causing probs. Does that also have a lot of caffeine in it? it's the tea that comes in liquid form in a bottle, they add a lot of sugar and milk, which i don't have.

You. like most of us are still laboring under the myth, created by medics, that coffee is bad for

you while now, even the AMA suggests up to 6 cups a day of CAFFEINATED coffee will help prevent

strokes and, potentially extend your life span. Kick some other bad habit but not coffee !

Edited by fred Kubasa

...wrong move...

...coffee is good for you....

...medication will kill you....

...not sure what 'you have' nor 'what you are taking'......do you....???

...please look up and thoroughly research .........any 'diagnosis'...and 'prescription' before 'taking it as gospel'......

Wow. A lot of quite dangerous nonsense here.

Yes, coffee is maybe good for you, but in my case it is dangerous. It affects my airways and I start wheezing and getting out of breath among other things.

Coffee is highly acidic... that is a proven fact.

This is one of those series of posts where if you don't have a clue about condition you shouldn't be posting anything.