Fun car for 400K

JohnnyJazz

I've a budget of 400K to buy a car to drive around Bangkok with an occasional trip to Rayong or Korat once in while. I'm looking for something that is fun to drive something with personality and that won't let me down after a couple of month.

I may also consider a 500-750 cc bike. Back home I used to have a CB750 that I have fond memory of.

Any advise ?

My Advice is ...Do you want a car or motorbike?

Ideally both biggrin.png

On the one hand with the budget that I have i believe I've more chance to find a nice bike, a good car seems to be a bit more expensive. On the other hand, given the weather, the pollution and the way people drive in Bangkok, a car seems to be a smarter choice.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

400K doesn't buy you very much in cars - It would have to be a used car, and a pretty old one to qualify as "fun" for that price too - so it could be a challenge to find something that meets your reliability expectations...

We have a few posters that obviously spend a bit of time looking at used cars websites, so I'm sure they'll give you some ideas smile.png

The best I can do is help prepare you to lower your expectations sad.png

Edited by IMHO

400K doesn't buy you very much in cars - It would have to be a used car, and a pretty old one to qualify as "fun" for that price too - so it could be a challenge to find something that meets your reliability expectations...

We have a few posters that obviously spend a bit of time looking at used cars websites, so I'm sure they'll give you some ideas smile.png

The best I can do is help prepare you to lower your expectations sad.png

Don't worry, they are not very high, I'm quite aware of the reality of the second end market in Thailand. But who knows, expecting the unexpected has always been my motto. Usually I'm ready for the worst but sometime get lucky. The link from JOC totally fits my description of a car with character and is within budget, so who knows, as I said sometime we get lucky wink.png

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I bought a Ford Fiesta 3 years ago (Sport 1.6L) with all the bells and whistles for 705,000 baht. Very fun to drive. My insurance now values the car at 435,000 Baht. I would sell for about 500K. But you can get the lower models 3 years old for cheaper. There are many Thai auto websites.

I've a budget of 400K to buy a car to drive around Bangkok with an occasional trip to Rayong or Korat once in while. I'm looking for something that is fun to drive something with personality and that won't let me down after a couple of month.

I may also consider a 500-750 cc bike. Back home I used to have a CB750 that I have fond memory of.

Any advise ?

Honda Jazz. Late model can be had for 400k in clean condition. I paid 550k for a one year old Hybrid model with under 10k Kms. TD not only a great second car, but quite a fully useful family vehicle and packs like a little truck with the seats folded down. Reliable and fuel efficient too.

I don't know much about the auto market in Thailand but in the states I race at the track. Some cheap cars that can be a lot of fun would be something akin to an old Miata (Mazda MX-5). If you're okay with modifying your own vehicle, civics are exceptionally cheap and have an astronomical amount of aftermarket parts. They also won't face the coupe pricing fees that are around in Thailand.

I bought a 2 year old Ford Fiesta in like new condition for 400k. Still had one year of factory warranty coverage. Great for BKK, easy to park and they are all automatic which is necessary with the gridlock. There are plenty in that price range and it's a nice, fun car in the city but does well on the motorways as well.

I don't know much about the auto market in Thailand but in the states I race at the track. Some cheap cars that can be a lot of fun would be something akin to an old Miata (Mazda MX-5). If you're okay with modifying your own vehicle, civics are exceptionally cheap and have an astronomical amount of aftermarket parts. They also won't face the coupe pricing fees that are around in Thailand.

Same in my home country. I'd loved to be proved wrong but I don't think there is such a market in Thailand. Thais don't have "fun" with cars. Here cars are only to drive you from point A to point B and show how wealthy you are sad.png

Same in my home country. I'd loved to be proved wrong but I don't think there is such a market in Thailand. Thais don't have "fun" with cars. Here cars are only to drive you from point A to point B and show how wealthy you are sad.png

Sure they do... it's just that when a Miata costs $100,000, there's not as many takers :)

You're idea of a fun car matches my definition. A bouncy, noisy, slow Jeep isn't what comes to mind :P

My wife has an elderly Suzuki Caribian (Samurai in the USA). Great little car, easy to park in tight places, 4x4 when going into rough country. Such can be had for about 150-200k baht. Spend another 100+k at one of the many specialty shops to make it into a real outdoor tiger then watch the dudes drooling as you roll down Sukumwit.

My wife has an elderly Suzuki Caribian (Samurai in the USA). Great little car, easy to park in tight places, 4x4 when going into rough country. Such can be had for about 150-200k baht. Spend another 100+k at one of the many specialty shops to make it into a real outdoor tiger then watch the dudes drooling as you roll down Sukumwit.

Not sure you meant drooling i would have thought laughing

For fun with 400k i would have to buy a bike much better than stuck in bangkok traffic and far more fun.

My nephew bought a mitsubishi mirage and havent seen him smile much unless he is getting out of it .mind you 6 years finace wouldnt make me smile

1.) for 400K you do not get a car AND a bike.

2.) My wife bought a Mitsubishi Mirage with manual gear, and while I had my concerns at the beginning (I drive a Pajero Sport) I must say, this car is a lot of fun, extreme agile, surprisingly spacy inside, the manual gear is really well proportioned, surprising accelerations below 100 km/h and I had no problem to use it once to go upcountry with, exceeding speeds of 150 km/h. The only downside I feel, it can be a bit noisy on higher speeds ( 120 km/h or so) and well, yes, you must feel comfortable with shifting gears manually.

3.) There are some nice mid-size bikes now available in Thailand (after they all get now 'assembled' in Thailand). Check out the Suzuki V-Storm, most balanced Thai made touring bike. Then there is the Versys, well, while looking good, I do not think it is such a great bike, and finally you get a brand new Honda 500 CBR XT (adventure touring version) for 220.000 THB, a price tag that is simply unbeatable for a brand new home made bike that every village black smith can fix. Those who drive it, are very happy with it and maybe the perfect 'lower budget' touring and town bike for Thailand. (I'm having two BMWs and while really great and fun, they are expensive as they are both imported (Heavy import/luxury tax), however, there are some models now Thai-assembled and more affordable but all over 400K).

5.) 85% of fatal accidents in Thailand are involving motorcycles (I guess mainly motor scooters, driven by drunk drivers (or simply day dreaming drivers) without helmet or any other protection), means, simply add the additional level of lateral awareness that one needs in Thailand. In general, I find the traffic is quite gentle in Thailand, it is only that often drivers are not really concentrating on driving but on all other more important fun things while driving, like picking up the phone/cap/cup/whatever from the bottom of the car, being on the mobile phone for hours or texting, facial make-up or do not considering motorcycles as equally important traffic participants and feel seriously threatening challenged if a motorcycle overtakes them on the express way (at speeds north of 140km/h) what is clearly a total face loss in front of everybody and the world and the blood starts boiling in seconds and foam starts emerging between the lips and they start chasing you in the attempt to push you down the trench. (Happens also with smaller bikes with young Thai drivers if they see a foreigner overtakes them with a bigger bike, what can not be allowed)

let us know what your conclusion is

I bought a 2 year old Ford Fiesta in like new condition for 400k. Still had one year of factory warranty coverage. Great for BKK, easy to park and they are all automatic which is necessary with the gridlock. There are plenty in that price range and it's a nice, fun car in the city but does well on the motorways as well.

What's "fun" about a Fiesta?

Let's see - a 1968 Willys is a vehicle nearly 50 years old, and will have steering, brakes and suspension typical of that era. Unless the OP is into bush-bashing, it won't be any fun on bitumen.

From what I've read and seen on the roads, the Suzuki Swift appears to be the best choice.