Justice Minister says 'manipulation' behind Rajabhakti Park graft claims

webfact

Justice Minister says ‘manipulation’ behind Rajabhakti Park graft claims
JEERAPONG PRASERTPONKRUNG
JAKRAWAN SALAYTOO
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya Tuesday said someone had been exploiting the Rajabhakti Park alleged scandal for political motives.

Scandal claims had affected the reputation of the current government, as they involved corruption allegations surrounding the casting of giant statues of seven former Thai kings for the Rajabhakti Park.

Deputy Defence Minister General Udomdej Sitabutr, who is at the centre of the issue, has urged senior figures not to jump to quick conclusions that the project is mired in corruption as they had yet to get full information.

"Don't say just yet that there is corruption or irregularities in the Rajabhakti Park project," Udomdej said.

He said any problems in the project, which involved members of the private sector, had already been solved.

"No one has lost anything," he said.

Speaking separately before he attended the Cabinet meeting, Paiboon - in his capacity as chair of the Centre for National Anti Corruption (CNAC) - said he had been careful about commenting on the Rajabhakti Park case because someone had used it for political manipulation.

"At this point, we should just let relevant officials do their duty," he said, referring to probes that have been launched in response to the claimed scandal. The Office of the Auditor General (OAG), for example, is investigating the project.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Justice-Minister-says-manipulation-behind-Rajabhak-30276192.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-06

Paiboon says park scandal manipulated for political gain
Jeerapong Prasertponkrung,
Jakrawan Salaytoo
The Nation

30276222-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- JUSTICE Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya said yesterday someone had been exploiting the Rajabhakti Park scandal for political motives.

Allegations associated with the scandal have affected the reputation of the current government, because they involved claims of corruption regarding the casting of the giant statues of seven former Thai kings at the park.

Deputy Defence Minister General Udomdej Sitabutr, who has been implicated in the scandal, has urged senior figures not to jump to conclusions about corruption.

"Don't say just yet that there has been corruption or irregularity in the Rajabhakti Park project," Udomdej said.

He added that any problems in the project that involved the private sector had already been resolved.

"No one has lost anything," he said.

Speaking separately in his capacity as chairman of the Centre for National Anti-Corruption (CNAC) before he attended a Cabinet meeting, Paiboon said he had been careful about commenting on the Rajabhakti Park case because someone had used the case for political manipulation.

"At this point, we should just let relevant officials do their duty," he said, referring to probes that have been launched in response to the scandal. The Office of the Auditor General (OAG) is investigating the project.

Private donations contributed most of the funds to develop the park on an Army plot in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district and to erect the statues of the former kings, but some public funds were used as well.

Pheu Thai Party has raised questions about the project.

"The OAG has already reported some progress. Once the CNAC concludes [its investigations] into the case, I will invite all parties that |have questions to listen," Paiboon said.

A source said the Rajabhakti Park Foundation chaired by Udomdej is in the process of being renamed the "Rajabhakti Park Foundation under the Royal Patronage of the Crown Prince" in response to a request submitted by Udomdej last year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Paiboon-says-park-scandal-manipulated-for-politica-30276222.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-06

Well Udomdej himself did say that kickbacks were demanded, then returned, then given back to the army as 'donations'.

The demanding of kickbacks by a still unnamed amulet trader sounds very much like corruption to me at least. Nobody is buying these BS denials. This'll blow over as soon as another scandal comes along. I give it weeks

Returning bribes as donations is prima facie money laundering - under the metaphorical ir not literal barrel of a gun. ("Here's some dirty money you were extorted out of, can we have it back clean please, as a voluntarily-given donation?")

The only people manipulating this scandal are the military/government, and it speaks volumes that they are.

Yet another case of Social media bringing to light what has been going on here for centuries. Nothing new. Business as usual.

Yes any why they are adding layers to the computor crimes act and making public displays about fB post prosecutions.

Yet another case of Social media bringing to light what has been going on here for centuries. Nothing new. Business as usual.

It has always been common practice in Thailand to give kickbacks as an incentive to win contracts. So nothing new here except that the individuals were forced to donate those kickbacks to the army as another TV member pointed out.

Ah yes. The shadowy third figure who has been responsible for Thailands woes since time immemorial and who is never named. Bacause he/she doesn't exist, perhaps?

Charlem also always talked about that shadowy third party and now the junta. They must all love to shift the blame.

This is very disappointing for a Government promising to stamp out corruption. It has the smell of unusual practice about it, well lts see what emerges, perhaps the "donation" to the army could in some way be returned to the people or the community that would look far more transparent.

JUSTICE Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya

First thing they should have to do when they seize a civilian position by force is to give up their military titles or is it that they want to constantly remind us that they are part of the military elite, just in case we should forget

It was the government itself that exposed and announced the corruption over earlier lese majeste arrests. blink.png

Seems they didn't realise that opening this Pandora's box would not be so easy to close. So they fall back on the vague claim of "enemies" and "manipulation".

Prayut is a former Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army, the post he held from October 2010 to October 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

------------------

In 2011, I was offered some contract work with a local Thai company for the RTA, at the RTA base in Pathum Thani.

The company director offered me 90,000 baht/month, quickly followed by the words "I wish I could offer you more, but I had to pay so much money to the officers to get this contract!"

Edited by jaywalker

This is very disappointing for a Government promising to stamp out corruption. It has the smell of unusual practice about it, well lts see what emerges, perhaps the "donation" to the army could in some way be returned to the people or the community that would look far more transparent.

"But Thaksin............................"

Sorry, couldn't help myself !!

I am certain that the good Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya will be an impartial investigator. (ehem. ehem...)

Don't worry my friend !!

The investigation will be closely monitored by General Preecha Chan O-cha (Prayuth's brother)

What can possibly go wrong ??

Well Udomdej himself did say that kickbacks were demanded, then returned, then given back to the army as 'donations'.

The demanding of kickbacks by a still unnamed amulet trader sounds very much like corruption to me at least. Nobody is buying these BS denials. This'll blow over as soon as another scandal comes along. I give it weeks

I have read the BK post for the last 15 years and every issue has an article about corruption with government contracts or othe things, and the trnsfering of police to other posts.

It is embedded into this country and most other asian countries, however saying that where would you find any country these days that isn't corrupt.

This is only minor compared to what the good old USA is doing in the arms bussiness.

Isra News have an article on their website from 19th Nov (Thai language) with name and photo of the amulet trader confirming both he and his family had disappeared so it is not so much of a secret.

Edited by Orac